The Mindful Gratitude Thread

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so so grateful for having internet again after three weeks' waiting after moving house. I'm also extremely grateful that Mr Mouse and I have finally been able to move from a large house outside town to a flat in the centre of town. My quality of life has increased immensely as I can now get out and about without relying on him. I'm also grateful that we managed to get central heating installed before the bad weather. The fact that we're still surrounded by boxes, and waiting for lots of minor things to be fixed is immaterial. As least we finally moved!

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Today I'm grateful for the advances made in science and the wonderful medical team who performed emergency surgery on Mr Mouse yesterday for a detached retina. Not many years ago there was no treatment, and people lost the sight irrevocably in the affected eye. And I'm also grateful for the people who designed the special chair that we've hired to enable him to be more comfortable during the two to three week postoperative rehab during which he has to be face down all day and all night. Not easy.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Holding the good thought for Mr. Mouse's full recovery. Glad you had that medical access and access to the chair. My sister-in-law had that emergency surgery awhile back and I recall my brother saying they'd gotten her some special furniture to deal with the requirements of recovery.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I’m grateful for 1) streaming music and 2) playlists for years. Have been indulging my nostalgia for music that I know very well from 1971, and can’t possibly be 50 years old because that says something about me that nanananana-not-listening-to.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am grateful for safe travel, time with family who are still in good health (this will likely not be true 10 years from now), and a weird set of coincidences that had the bedroom ceiling fall in, with all the blown cellulose insulation it was holding back) while nobody was here and the pet bunny (whose room that bedroom is) was away at the Bunny Hilton while we traveled. I'm also grateful for a responsive insurance company, a payout check from a past investment that will more than cover the deductable, and as far as we can tell so far no structural issues to the house (but we won't know for sure why the ceiling fell--workers were doing stuff on the outside but that shouldn't make the ceiling collapse--until we get everything cleaned up)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"---a Sikh greeting)

We had something similar once, and we were very grateful I wasn't sleeping under that ceiling right then. We think the finish ceiling loosened due to the painting Mr. Siri was doing in that room. (And we're grateful it didn't fall on him either.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

• Love
Reactions: mccardey

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am grateful that my wife and I have a beautiful healthy baby boy who overcame the odds in spite of so many setbacks during his birth mother’s pregnancy and his birth. I am grateful to have my wife as we’ve dealt with emergency after emergency together over the past few years. And I am eternally grateful to my wife’s relative who wanted us to adopt her baby. I don’t think we would have been able to become parents under our circumstances if it weren’t for her. I’m also grateful that something out there has chosen to bless this baby and keep him safe. Whether it’s the ancestors, forces of nature, or just plain luck… I’m grateful.

kaejomul

Registered
Reaction score
Today I am grateful for my family. My incredibly supportive husband who supports me during all my hair-brain ideas. (like the 150 acres we are currently buying for literally no reason other than camping or the youtube channel I'm starting and my first novel that I am trying to finish)
And my daughter, who's four years old and fiesty as all hell. She keeps me on my toes and more than anything has taught me PATIENCE. lol

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I'm grateful for Mr Mouse's gradual recovery from a second eye operation in ten days, and his patience at having to spend 75% of the time lying face down. I'm grateful for a supportive family, though distant geographically, and friends.
I think I know what that was for and both my brothers had it in both eyes. And one of my brothers had to have it redone not long after the first.

Bummer! But I think people mostly recover okay from it, even when it as to be redone.

Reactions: oneblindmouse

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm grateful that people decorate their houses for the holidays! I live in a condo now, so all I have is a balcony to decorate, and I am fine with that. But I love walking through the neighborhood and seeing all the old, large houses decked out for Christmas. It's a gift they give the neighborhood and I am grateful for it.

Reactions: MaeZe

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
I got a big professional disappointment last night and I am grateful that I am okay. I really am okay. Life in the arts is a rocky road and rejection is a part of the package but I am happy this morning because, while I know that so much of life is out of my control, my reaction is in my control. And today I am drinking a delicious cup of coffee, looking out at the new snow, and wondering (now that this particular adventure didn't work out) what exciting thing I will be doing next.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am profoundly grateful for a loving husband who leaped into action yesterday afternoon after I fell off a step stool while decorating the Christmas tree. He calmed me down, got me into bed and my injured knee iced, then took me to our healthcare provider's urgent care department and waited with me through the whole long, drawn-out process of getting the knee assessed, x-rayed and fitted with a brace (and me with crutches). Then he took me home, got me fed, then ensconced in front of The Great British Bake-off's holiday show to raise my very low spirits. He's been an absolute brick.

(I'm also very, very grateful that we have good healthcare through his work, since I have an MRI tonight, a CT scan tomorrow and a follow-up appointment on Monday to see if I'll need surgery.)

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Today I am grateful for my family. My incredibly supportive husband who supports me during all my hair-brain ideas. (like the 150 acres we are currently buying for literally no reason other than camping or the youtube channel I'm starting and my first novel that I am trying to finish)
And my daughter, who's four years old and fiesty as all hell. She keeps me on my toes and more than anything has taught me PATIENCE. lol
You've got a feisty four year old? You may indeed get a lot of use from that acreage in the future!

Reactions: kaejomul

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really grateful because even though it's awkward that the gorgeous young people up the lane mow the strip outside my property when there's been too much rain and my mower can't get through the mud and also I'm old and small - they keep doing it, and I'm learning week-by-week to be less cranky-independent-Me how-very-dare-they and more aren't-they-lovely.

If they'll just bear with me, I'll end being a much nicer person before the year is out.

Last edited:

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
I'm grateful for my wife and daughter. My daughter of seven has taken an interest in Daddy's writing and happily reads whatever stories I deem appropriate for her (she loves to read and reads several grade levels ahead).

My wife is not an enthusiastic reader, but she supports my efforts. Just today, she took our daughter out with her on various shopping errands so I could have a few hours in the house to myself and my muses.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I'm grateful I'm here today. Grateful for the warmth of my home and the lights on my tree. Grateful that I can sit in the quiet of the day and edit a VERY old novel and see where I can breathe life into what would have been a trunked novel except for the encouragement of my mentors.

Denelda

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to the writing community. Formerly I competed internationally in team sports, but with the onslaught of COVID, jumped into writing novels. What I'm grateful for is the helpfulness of the writing community. I'm on my second series in my second year and could not have done it without people like you showing me the ropes. I've got the hang of self publishing, and next year, if I can pause the writing, I want to get marketing.
I'll be back asking for help with that soon enough.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I was thinking that, this time last year, the forums were about to have a disastrous outtage that lasted months. The software was archaic and slow, the server was creaky and ill, and the site was nearly unusable.

I'm profoundly grateful that the community stuck it out, and we find ourselves here, now. I'm indescribably grateful for @AW Admin , who did all the heavy-lifting in terms of researching software, finding a MUCH better server host, and all manner of other technical improvements.