The Mindful Gratitude Thread

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am so so conflicted by this because honestly aren't foxes the most beautiful thing, and don't I LURVE their little faces. Unfortunately, down here, they're not a force for good - but if I could catch one and tame it and keep it inside, I would totally do that.
In the US, they can be a force for good, since a large part of their diet is vermin (mice, rats and other undesirables). This is particularly helpful in suburban areas and cities. But I know they're a huge problem in Oz. :(

Reactions: mccardey

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I am so so conflicted by this because honestly aren't foxes the most beautiful thing, and don't I LURVE their little faces. Unfortunately, down here, they're not a force for good - but if I could catch one and tame it and keep it inside, I would totally do that.
If you had coyotes, you'd appreciate the foxes. Coyotes are not shy woodland creatures. They are renowned in First Nations lore as cunning Trickster figures. They are, however, all too easily habituated to people, and because of changing usage patterns, and fools feeding them, they have taken to nipping at people in the big Vancouver Park. (Stanley Park). This is, in the end, not good for the future of these coyotes.

Reactions: mrsmig

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
This is the ol' Tedster. He's heavier and furrier now, but still chock full of personality
Ohhhh my goodness! Hi, little guy! What a special visitor!

I had a mild COVID case this summer and I'm grateful. Between my vaccines and shiny new antibodies I'm probably very unlikely to pass it to my students or get desperately ill should it outbreak in my classroom. (And let's be real: it will.) I get to put on my mask and stress about normal school things like making sure they get on the right bus and keeping them from rolling on the floor when they're tired of thinking.

(And also how to keep them from spreading it to each other—it's definitely not a scot-free situation, but we're focusing on the positive in this thread. :))

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Today I am grateful that the lousy grade The Kid got on the year's first psychology test was due to her teacher misunderstanding how to enter the grades into the online system and accidentally flunking the entire class. (The Kid's corrected grade was an A-. :))

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
Today I’m grateful that, somehow, my tri-monthly diabetic checkup had my A1C number and weight both down from last time. I genuinely do not understand how the doctor’s instruments could get it so wrong, but shrug, I’ll take it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Today I am grateful that the lousy grade The Kid got on the year's first psychology test was due to her teacher misunderstanding how to enter the grades into the online system and accidentally flunking the entire class. (The Kid's corrected grade was an A-. :))
You know the saying: 'One student flunks, bad student. All the students flunk, bad teacher'.
Youch, the whole class, eh? Did she notice, or did it have to be brought to her attention?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Today I’m grateful that, somehow, my tri-monthly diabetic checkup had my A1C number and weight both down from last time. I genuinely do not understand how the doctor’s instruments could get it so wrong, but shrug, I’ll take it.
Take it? Revel in it, my fellow diabetic! Congrats!

Reactions: Introversion

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You know the saying: 'One student flunks, bad student. All the students flunk, bad teacher'.
Youch, the whole class, eh? Did she notice, or did it have to be brought to her attention?
She had no idea. She'd put the right grade on the tests themselves, but somehow when she entered them into the online system, all the grades were incorrect. It wasn't until she handed back the physical tests and there was pandemonium that she found out what had happeened.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
She had no idea. She'd put the right grade on the tests themselves, but somehow when she entered them into the online system, all the grades were incorrect. It wasn't until she handed back the physical tests and there was pandemonium that she found out what had happeened.
Teaching online is a definite learning curve.

I've used the canvas system for years as a supplement to on-the-ground classes, but I've had to acquaint myself with numerous features, bugs, and with features that feel like bugs since this online platform has been my sole way of interacting with my students.

I haven't had this particular glitch happen, but I am at my wit's end right now re the exam proctoring security software and the impossibility (evidently) of providing instructions online that all my students read, understand, and follow.

Reactions: lizmonster

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I've used the canvas system for years as a supplement to on-the-ground classes, but I've had to acquaint myself with numerous features, bugs, and with features that feel like bugs since this online platform has been my sole way of interacting with my students.

It was pretty clearly a software glitch, since it affected everybody. I have great sympathy for that...but I do wish she'd noticed before the kids freaked out.

CMBright

Registered
Reaction score
I am so grateful that my 10yo gas molecule has the patience and willingness to help out with Things 1 and 2, aka the bottle kittens.

Soon. Soon, they will embark on the journey to the foster who will care for them until they can find a furrever home. Soon.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
The road to hell is paved with things I've accidentally deleted off my Canvas course.

It was pretty clearly a software glitch, since it affected everybody. I have great sympathy for that...but I do wish she'd noticed before the kids freaked out.
That sounds awful. I'm so glad it worked out but so, so sorry everyone had to deal with that.

Reactions: Introversion

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.digitalmedievalist.com
The road to hell is paved with things I've accidentally deleted off my Canvas course.

That sounds awful. I'm so glad it worked out but so, so sorry everyone had to deal with that.
If your Canvas admin has enabled it there's a Backup or Export tool; I forget which it's called, but it lets you download data to your local drive that you could if you needed to, re-upload. I used to show it to faculty and tell them to just do it once a week or so, and before and after making important changes.

Reactions: Kat M

Featured Book