• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The McVeigh Agency (Mark McVeigh)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
PS- Why does the site show my uploaded picture "failed" each time I try? I seems to sucessfully take it then I get the message and no piccy..

You mean your avatar pix? You need, I believe, 50 posts before you can upload your own avatar. For now, you can use one of the board avatars.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
He doesnt show anything on his site and doesnt appear he has much fiction under his belt. Is he one of the better one's (reputation of successful sales), or one of the others, (still getting started, limited sales, not likley to have the major publishing relationships, you gget it)...? Thanks!!! -Sam

I discontinued my subscription to PM, but last time I checked he had several sales in the past few years. If I remember correctly, he was with another agency before and just started his own agency in 2009.

seeker4

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone heard back from the full requests since we're coming up on the 4 week period that they gave? I'm still happily waiting. :)

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, although rather than "happily" I would say "anxiously"...
Given how many reads they requested though, I doubt they'll get back to us within the promised four weeks...

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, please post when you hear back!

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R, Barb. Thanks for posting.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Was it from Linda? I'd sign up for that...

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
I queried them on 10/18/09 and got a request for the full on 1/13/10. I emailed it that day and received my rejection yesterday, 1/25/10. It was a short form R with no comments :(

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I know how you feel...

Stikan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stinakanaris.com
I sent a query letter to The McVeigh Agency this past Tuesday. I went to their website today and noticed their submission guidelines have changed since then (they must have JUST updated). They now want the first twenty pages pasted in the email as well as the query. Just fyi :)

Should I resend?

Last edited:

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I sent a query letter to The McVeigh Agency this past Tuesday. I went to their website today and noticed their submission guidelines have changed since then (they must have JUST updated). They now want the first twenty pages pasted in the email as well as the query. Just fyi :)

I'd resend. That'll save Linda from having to write and ask for it if she's interested in seeing it. Maybe put something in the subject line about this being a resend.

Stikan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stinakanaris.com
Thanks!

I got another automated email from them advising Linda is out of office from Feb 12th-21st. That backlog of queries is about to get worse, methinks :).

brian_ohio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brian-ohio.livejournal.com
Exposing Myself

I've Lurked here for YEARS! This forum is incredible and very helpful. So I thought I'd share finally.

Queried: May 16th, 2009

Heard nothing so wrote Mark off.

Request for full December 22nd from Linda.

Mark stated on many forums he'd been overwhelmed and super busy, but had sold some books and hired staff to help him.

Sent full January 4th, 2010

Email to set up phone call on January 8th, 2010

Offer of representation, January 16th, 2010

Accepted offer, January 25th, 2010

Let me just say how impressed I've been with the agency so far. Mark's new to the agency biz (been an editor for over 10 years) and has really been putting everything into his new venture. He's so friendly, easy to talk to and energetic. I'm honored to be on his client list.

Linda posted the following over on another Writing Forum.

Greetings Children’s Book authors! My name is Linda Epstein and I’m Mark McVeigh’s assistant. Mark and I are working diligently to keep up with the enormous volume of queries we’re receiving daily. I’m so impressed with the high quality of writing coming our way! We’d like to start the New Year off with a clean slate and give those of you who want it a fresh chance; so if you sent us a query before November 1, 2009, and haven’t heard anything back from us, please consider querying us again (queries at themcveighagency dot com). We really want to hear from you and have the staff to respond in a timely fashion, but please, only reach out to us if your manuscript falls into one of the following categories:

• Quirky, funny picture books with a unique twist; always kid-centric: what haven't you ever read before in a picture book? Well, write it!
• Chapter books with a great hook--school based, funny, always character or situation driven.
• Middle grade genre books, especially those with series potential – for example, set in a private school, sports-related (for either boys or girls or both!), for horse-lovers, and something so irresistible to capture that elusive male reader who prefers video games. Girl books, but no watered-down "rich girl with sexy lifestyle" please
• YA – funny or full of teen angst; envelope pushing or issue based; love stories, of course; always looking for something original and with a kid's or teen's voice. Again, ask yourself: what hasn't been done before. Make it--and this goes for everything you send Mark--start with an intoxicating chapter that FORCES the reader to keep going.

Please note that we are NOT looking at middle grade or YA fantasy at this time.

Dazzle us with your query letter but keep it brief! Then paste the first 10 pages of your manuscript into the body of the e-mail (no attachments). Can’t wait to read your work!
Cheers,
Linda

Inkblot

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I met Mark at the 2008 NYC SCBWI writers intensive workshop. He's not a warm and fuzzy person, but he definitely know his stuff.

This was my impression, too, when I've met him at SCBWI events.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Prompted by a couple more full requests, I have once again re-edited my ms (I had gone through a point when I no longer wanted to look at it!!). Now that I am hitting the 8-week mark, would it be terribly improper to nudge and at the same time ask if they'd be willing to look at the re-edited version?

Thanks.

brian_ohio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brian-ohio.livejournal.com
sciri,

I think it's fine. Especially if you can justify in a sentence or three why you edited/revised the manuscript... and not just because the first one sucked. ;-) You know? Like... a beta reader pointed something out that needed fixed or you removed a POV that wasn't moving the story forward. I had many agents allow me to resubmit.

Brian

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
sciri,

I think it's fine. Especially if you can justify in a sentence or three why you edited/revised the manuscript... and not just because the first one sucked. ;-) You know? Like... a beta reader pointed something out that needed fixed or you removed a POV that wasn't moving the story forward. I had many agents allow me to resubmit.

Brian

It worked -- thanks!
And congratulations to you!!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query yesterday and received an autoresponse that they're closed to queries for the month of March. I didn't see that information on their website so I thought I'd give everyone else a heads-up. Sounds like they're swamped.

jwoods

Registered
Reaction score
Request from L.E. this week for a full over three months after query.