The I-wish-I-was-at-Bouchercon-party

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
LOL--the editor I work for requires Oxford commas. I like that woman.

Anyway, no detailed meaty report from me. Yesterday was a blur, but I'll share the link to the local news coverage of Bouchercon.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...-mystery-writing-community-comes-to-Cleveland

An interesting note--the interview with the author at the end (whose name escapes me now (all names, including my own, are escaping me at the moment) was apparently done before he fell off the podium at the close of a panel I attended. I overheard someone mentioning that he required 8 stitches.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
HA! BFlo, thanks so much for the laugh. Amazing how things happen like falling off a podium.

HJ, yes, she takes them out. I only ever defend them when the sentence involves clauses. She sometimes lets me keep those. She's an extremely good and supportive editor overall. It becomes a two-way process when I stand up for something--and isn't that when someone's true colors shine? When that happens, she stays open-minded and logical. I like that. I didn't get everything I wanted, but probably got exactly what I needed to uphold the artistic vision of the book. I like that other than a few tweaks and a new title, it's essentially the same book that I sent to her in April.

And no, I wasn't reading in the video, but when I was pitching at cons, I memorized both my pitch and my longer, "query letter synopsis." That's essentially what I've been saying over and over at book promos, plus now added a few character bits. I'm "pitching" readers.

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I had fun too. Love onesecond, liz, matt and DeaK for sharing, plus BFlo,Perks, Mark, Namatu and Callalilly for posting so much from the con. We should start saving up for next year, in Albany.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Bit far for me :D

This was a great idea, though, wonder - and I'm still totally bowled over by the amount of effort you put into it (as well as managing 4,000 words!). We should totally do it again next time!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed catching up on what you all did in my absence. Fun and informative! Val McDermid was a great moderator on the panel I attended. She's easy to listen to and made her bits very entertaining.