The Daily Rejection, Vol. 3

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably true but not necessarily helpful. We can't see in the submission box, so we don't really know if we're in the 80 or 20%. Also, it's not so cut and dry. Someone might have a fantastic premise and storytelling that overrides the "quality" of the writing. They'd probably still be considered publishable.
Publishable doesn't mean marketable that being said. Everything may be quality but if an agent doesn't think they can sell it...

Reactions: LStein

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Today's the day I sent out a new batch of letters with my updated query letter and sample pages.

Open my business email to see a new rejection from one of my top-preferred agents.

Send out my queries while fighting through an even higher than normal amount of gmail reformatting my font size.

Accidentally double-queried one of the agents.

An hour later, another rejection from a top-preferred agents, who I had JUST queried today.

Part of me feels broken. Haven't had the heart to work on my next MS today.

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
Today's the day I sent out a new batch of letters with my updated query letter and sample pages.

Open my business email to see a new rejection from one of my top-preferred agents.

Send out my queries while fighting through an even higher than normal amount of gmail reformatting my font size.

Accidentally double-queried one of the agents.

An hour later, another rejection from a top-preferred agents, who I had JUST queried today.

Part of me feels broken. Haven't had the heart to work on my next MS today.
Today is Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I come across a nice query letter elsewhere and it's helpful to me to read through and analyze. There was a highly successful one posted on FB's Beta Readers and Critique Partners last night, and it is worth a read to anyone who feels the same.

This one hits nicely on the idea that all the parts of the query (metrics/housekeeping, pitch, bio) can work together to strengthen the overall letter, and that a pitch that escalates is effective. The protagonist is clearly agentive as well.

Reactions: Fiender

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I let myself do the dumb and get hopeful. Submission Grinder showed people before and after got their responses. Submittable showed as 'in progress' every time I checked to see if I missed my R. Was it...being considered?!

Nah, form R rolled in at 6:30am this morning.

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I let myself do the dumb and get hopeful. Submission Grinder showed people before and after got their responses. Submittable showed as 'in progress' every time I checked to see if I missed my R. Was it...being considered?!

Good god those are the worst. It's a roller coaster of maybe.... maybe... maybe.... Noooooope.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Good god those are the worst. It's a roller coaster of maybe.... maybe... maybe.... Noooooope.
:e2cry:

Got hit with the ol' "We did find much to admire in your work, though, and we hope you'll send us more to consider soon," form R, which somehow stung extra today. I thought I was becoming immune lol.

• Hug
Reactions: CheesecakeMe

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
starting to Worry and maybe having some numbers can ease my mind.
Your story is as unique as the author. Getting too hung up on the numbers may provide more anguish than relief. You've worked diligently to provide the best story possible. Now, work diligently to get it into the hands of your readers.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz

Was it [one of the noble gases]? 'cause your post made me go check my email (since I've also been carefully watching the responses roll in on SG) and I got an R, too. But at least a personalized one.

I thought that your story had a surreal and dream-like narrative voice.

Ultimately I didn't think it would be quite right for [pub], and so won't be able to offer publication. I thought that the structure of the piece would have benefitted from another couple of edits directed to the plot's development.

🥲 Oh okay.

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
Was it [one of the noble gases]? 'cause your post made me go check my email (since I've also been carefully watching the responses roll in on SG) and I got an R, too. But at least a personalized one.

🥲 Oh okay.
Nice compliment on voice but don't know what to make of the non-specific edit suggestions.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
It was the undiscovered area of a map. The comment on your voice was lovely, but I know the R still sucks. Sounds like someone will really like that style though!

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
All righty, just paid a pro to tell me why my query letter ain't getting no bites. I know I could do a few more rounds in SYW here, and the advice I got here was amazingly helpful, but I absolutely suck at returning the favor, and I feel bad about that. After years of trying I've come to realize I'm just terrible at giving constructive feedback. So instead I shall return the favor... with money.

Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
All righty, just paid a pro to tell me why my query letter ain't getting no bites. I know I could do a few more rounds in SYW here, and the advice I got here was amazingly helpful, but I absolutely suck at returning the favor, and I feel bad about that. After years of trying I've come to realize I'm just terrible at giving constructive feedback. So instead I shall return the favor... with money.
I kind of feel the same. But too often, the queries are for fantasy and my eyes glaze over as if it's a foreign language because I know nothing about the genre. I read SFF Twitter pitches during events and I'm like "wat?"

Reactions: CheesecakeMe

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
Two rejections on old query letters. It's disheartening. A couple of days ago I noticed on QT my query was skipped, so been obsessively refreshing QT to see if she's maybe going to read the sample pages before firing my query off into outer space. Someone needs to tell me to stop.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Two rejections on old query letters. It's disheartening. A couple of days ago I noticed on QT my query was skipped, so been obsessively refreshing QT to see if she's maybe going to read the sample pages before firing my query off into outer space. Someone needs to tell me to stop.
We should tell each other. I'm ALWAYS skipped over.

Janine R

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. It's like "there's nothing wrong with the query and pages but something's making me hesitate asking for more." Eventually it's either a ghost or a rejection.

But that's just me.
Oh...I was imagining the agent thinking she would come back later and have a look at the pages.

Jazz Club

It's not wrong, it's dialect
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably true but not necessarily helpful. We can't see in the submission box, so we don't really know if we're in the 80 or 20%.
Yes, but agents don't have a monopoly on telling you whether you've reached that level of competence. Get a lot of beta readers and see how many say that you're publishable (first check they're the sensible type of beta reader). The more who say it, the more you can start to believe it. Or if you can afford a pro editor, one who tells the truth without bullshitting you... they'll tell you 😁

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of feel the same. But too often, the queries are for fantasy and my eyes glaze over as if it's a foreign language because I know nothing about the genre. I read SFF Twitter pitches during events and I'm like "wat?"
I read and write fantasy, and even to me most of those fantasy query letters read like nonsense, or are very generic. If I see another disenfranchised princess fighting her siblings/parents for the throne while having snarky banter with some badboy warrior/secret prince so help me god.

...and this attitude is why I suck at giving good feedback.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
I read and write fantasy, and even to me most of those fantasy query letters read like nonsense, or are very generic. If I see another disenfranchised princess fighting her siblings/parents for the throne while having snarky banter with some badboy warrior/secret prince so help me god.

...and this attitude is why I suck at giving good feedback.

See, I'd more enjoy applying this to real life rather than "other worlds."

And I personally need a dictionary for most of the jargon. They assume that you know exactly what the creatures or people are and what their secret power is from their name alone and I haven't a fecking clue.

But considering that I feel overwhelmed by fantasy writers and fans, I realize it's a "me" problem...