The Daily Rejection, Vol. 3

Hannya Kay

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections are very slow to come right now (mags). It was like a constant return fire up to mid April, and now, nada. Of course, they will all come at the same time and I'll cry my soul out in here when that happens lol. I'm beating my own record of longest sub pending with 199 days. No idea what they're doing with that poor story (probably forgot all about it, but I'd rather not nudge them once more). Sigh.

Stormshine

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've posted here in ages BUT I'm back on a new round of rejection for a different novel. I think the novel itself is superior to the one I wrote 10 years ago, but the query isn't as good, and I'm worried YA Horror (new story) isn't as marketable as YA Fantasy (old story).

How much do you guys think having a bit of pub cred means? I've been thinking about hanging up the querying for a bit to work harder on selling a short story or poem to something reputable-ish.
My understanding is that YA Horror is much more marketable right now. Or at least much less saturated.

Reactions: OctoberLee

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
How much do you guys think having a bit of pub cred means? I've been thinking about hanging up the querying for a bit to work harder on selling a short story or poem to something reputable-ish.

I'm an amateur, but I think a compelling bio paragraph can help an average pitch.

A compelling bio might be credits, but might also be awards or something about how you are the person to tell this story. I recall some story about a dolphin (or other) being rescued/rehabilitated and the pitch was fine but then the bio was like "My experience rescuing a dolphin made me write this story" or something like that. And it was like Wow! Cool, I want to read it now.

So, I think the bio having oomph can make a difference but it doesn't have to be credits (but it can be). My opinion only.

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Agent with my full now says everyone with an outstanding query should hear from her by next Monday. I am 99% sure she'll say "thank you, but this isn't for me," and yet that remaining 1% exists and I know I'm going to be Very Sad Indeed when I get the eventual rejection. From all reports she's a fantastic advocate for the writers signed to her. Sigh.

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Alexp, I'm now stressing /for you/. Maybe time to send a few more queries to stop worrying about it and have a new set to obsess over :)

• Haha
Reactions: alexp336

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that YA Horror is much more marketable right now. Or at least much less saturated.
Hope that's the case!!

I did take a good look at my query letter, which has not been nearly as successful as a trunked novel query letter, and it needs Some Help. So I'll be working on it before I send a fresh batch out for rejection.

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Alexp, I'm now stressing /for you/. Maybe time to send a few more queries to stop worrying about it and have a new set to obsess over :)
Nooooo, don't stress for me - I'm doing it enough for the both of us! 😂 I appreciate it, though, and the suggestion. I'm throwing myself into some other writing projects (how did I end up with four stories I'm working on simultaneously?!) to distract myself...

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting with a new query. Submitted 5 of 10 planned queries for this round. Already got an R on one of them (the genre seemed stretch for the agent, couldn't tell for sure if she did YA or not - but like 80% of her entire list of published books that she likes matches mine).

Sigh, onto the next. If I could get just one request out of the next say, 20 queries, that would be cool...

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, it must be R day - just got another for a query sent in December. Nice of them to respond though...

EDIT: and a request for 10 pages! From someone who asks for queries only. I'll take it. Means the query isn't total trash. Maybe only mild garbage

Last edited:

Stormshine

Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing the power of a single request. Really buoys the spirits!
The emotional rollercoaster is no joke.

Rejection. Rejection. Rejection. Maybe I should stop querying and do another round of revisions.

Full Request!

Haha just kidding. I'm gonna query EVERYBODY.

And that just repeats.

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
hahaha Stormshine exactly this.

Guysss I got a HELPFUL rejection! Like super solid, accurate feedback on my Q + 10 pages.

I feel like I caught a unicorn.

Of course, now I have to rewrite my query.

And probably the first chapter.

Stupid unicorn...

________
(only kidding, genuine feedback is so rare and an agent gets zero back from doing it so it really is appreciated.)

Last edited:

Stormshine

Registered
Reaction score
hahaha Stormshine exactly this.

Guysss I got a HELPFUL rejection! Like super solid, accurate feedback on my Q + 10 pages.

I feel like I caught a unicorn.

Of course, now I have to rewrite my query.

And probably the first chapter.

Stupid unicorn...

________
(only kidding, genuine feedback is so rare and an agent gets zero back from doing it so it really is appreciated.
Maybe post the original version to QLH alongside the feedback?

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
Agent with my full now says everyone with an outstanding query should hear from her by next Monday. I am 99% sure she'll say "thank you, but this isn't for me," and yet that remaining 1% exists and I know I'm going to be Very Sad Indeed when I get the eventual rejection. From all reports she's a fantastic advocate for the writers signed to her. Sigh.
Following her thread on X and thinking about you! Cheering you on no matter what. Best of luck!

• Love

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, it must be R day - just got another for a query sent in December. Nice of them to respond though...

EDIT: and a request for 10 pages! From someone who asks for queries only. I'll take it. Means the query isn't total trash. Maybe only mild garbage
Request based on Q alone is definitely a good sign. Between that and personalised rejection I’d say things are heading the right direction!

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
Following her thread on X and thinking about you! Cheering you on no matter what. Best of luck!
Thank you! I found out late last night that I'm one of 28 fulls/partials (and the only MM romance, apparently) to be left on her shortlist as she heads to her new agency. Which is both flattering and also gives me another maybe 90 days of nail-biting 😂

pebbleg

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I found out late last night that I'm one of 28 fulls/partials (and the only MM romance, apparently) to be left on her shortlist as she heads to her new agency. Which is both flattering and also gives me another maybe 90 days of nail-biting 😂
OMG that is so exciting! More waiting and nail biting is not ideal -- but all in all a good sign! Rooting for you!

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She said that everyone who sent her a query or a full should have received a reply 5/18. Good luck.

• Love

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
She said that everyone who sent her a query or a full should have received a reply 5/18. Good luck.
Yep! That was this email, actually - she whittled down everything she'd been subbed to 28 fulls/partials, and is promising an answer yay/nay in the next 90 days. I get the feeling she was a bit overwhelmed, plus the whole "changing agency" bit on top.

If anyone needs me, I will be writing angsty stories about people who are stressed and impatient about deadlines over here, in my nail-biting cave.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
First off Best Of Luck!!! I'm grinning for you, Alex. :) :) :) Very exciting!

So ... I searched twitter with a few key words ("28 fulls") to figure out which agent it is ... and then I scrolled around on her timeline and found a thread she posted which has a seventeen (SEVENTEEN)-page checklist of edits to make before querying. What a great list! I'm saving that for future-me. It's getting its own tab on the spreadsheet.

So cool, just all around, and I'm excited for you Alex!

alexp336

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alexpendragon.com
First off Best Of Luck!!! I'm grinning for you, Alex. :) :) :) Very exciting!

So ... I searched twitter with a few key words ("28 fulls") to figure out which agent it is ... and then I scrolled around on her timeline and found a thread she posted which has a seventeen (SEVENTEEN)-page checklist of edits to make before querying. What a great list! I'm saving that for future-me. It's getting its own tab on the spreadsheet.

So cool, just all around, and I'm excited for you Alex!
Thank you! I'm not letting myself get my hopes up (or trying not to, anyway) because there still feels like more chance it'll be a no than a yes. But! Fun to have got to this stage, and she's known for giving great feedback on rejected fulls, so either way I'll get something out of it 🤞

(I would've told you who, too, but I wasn't sure on the etiquette of naming agents in this thread!)