The Daily Rejection, Vol. 3

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, just call me Threadkiller. :guns:

Got another short story rejection; very positive, with lots of we-loved-it-but and please-send-us-more, but at the end of the day still a no. That leaves me with about five things still out there; I need to get on the stick and get some more back in circulation.

I also need to get going on making an author website. I've decided on a host, and even a color scheme... so why can't I make myself get started? I mean, aside from life going crazy the past couple weeks, but since when is it not?

• Hug
Reactions: zmethos and Lakey

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I jinxed it; got another rejection today. This one was because the story is technically a reprint (it won a convention writing contest and was printed in the program book), so at least it's not a comment on the story itself?

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
R cookies to kinokonoronin, Alan Yee, Lakey, and anyone else who needs 'em.

Alan, ;). Hey, if you do get the story done, wanna swap critiques?
Whoops. I just realized I never responded. Sure, why not? It probably won’t happen until early next year with the other stories I’m having more luck with, plus new baby coming soon.

• Wow
Reactions: kinokonoronin

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops. I just realized I never responded. Sure, why not? It probably won’t happen until early next year with the other stories I’m having more luck with, plus new baby coming soon.
Cool; let me know. And 'grats on the incoming sprog, if I haven't said so elsewhere. So... you'll have some time in about eighteen years, then? ;)

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
zmethos, I don't hand out cookies, I hand out margaritas. Strawberry? Lime? Peach?
Did I completely miss this, or did I answer and completely forget that I did? That's the direction of my life these days... Now that things are actually happening in the outside world, I can't keep up. But I'm all for a peach margarita! (Once I'm done driving the kids around to various camps, sports lessons, vocal lessons, etc.)

quen_beantrix

Registered
Reaction score
One time I was sure sent a query with the wrong agent's name in the letter--I think I had wanted to query one agent from an agency, but upon rereading their bios I thought I should go with another, and just somehow didn't scroll up to see the wrong name.
I should also say I was so mortified, I'm not even sure this actually happened, but I couldn't bear to go back and look to know for sure, so now I just check the forms about 18x before submitting because I can't (potentially) have another slip like that
That was MONTHS ago. Still think about it.
Anyways, everyone hang in there, and perhaps invest in one of those stretchy key rings that attach to your belt Liz_V?

Reactions: zmethos

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I queried a flash piece I've had out for a very long while (this market holds for a long time, but it was long even for them). I expected a rejection; instead I got a 'we're buying this, I'll send the contract when I finish traveling'. I... am not calling it a sale until I see the contract. I'm too pessimistic nowadays.

Did get one of my only other stories out released after it was in its hold pile for a while. Their form release says about can't keep it forever, and I'm just like, well, you could have, I don't have anywhere else to send it >> Oh well.

• Love
Reactions: SciSarahTops

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Congrats, Tamlyn, on the possible sale! I definitely understand only being cautiously optimistic; I've been disappointed so many times that my hopes are pretty much always flat on the ground, waiting to be trod on...

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take one of those margaritas, too. No more writing Rs (yet), but I interviewed for a job last week, and... nope. I am irrationally irritated that I'd been bracing myself every time I checked my email for days, but the one time my guard was down and I just casually glanced... blammo. Not that it wouldn't have sucked anyway -- I really wanted that job -- but I feel like I let myself get emotionally blindsided.

quen_beantrix, I hear ya; a substantial part of the unconscionably long time it takes me to send a query is re-reading and re-checking everything. Including the parts that don't change from one to the next.

and perhaps invest in one of those stretchy key rings that attach to your belt Liz_V?

The sad thing is, I already wear my keys clipped to my belt loop. Which works great as long as I remember to turn off the car first....

Tamlyn, yay on the about-to-be-sale! :snoopy: Agreed, it's not official until the contract's signed, but be happy anyway! And then you can be happy all over again when the contract comes through.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Today, I saw a query rejection I missed. Well, I didn't miss it but I saw from the Gmail preview it was a rejection and I just wasn't in the mood when it came in. Anyway, I went back to read it and the agent mentioned my twitter and invited me to query her with my next project. So, yay!

EDIT: I don' t know where the post I responded to is, I'm still getting used to the new forum layout.

Last edited:

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
I got a poetry rejection in the middle of my D&D session last weekend. I was really hoping it wouldn't be though. Their site said that anything they kept longer than two weeks had an excellent chance of being accepted and they kept my poems for 3 months...Ah well, on to the next one!

• Hug
Reactions: zmethos

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
I got a poetry rejection in the middle of my D&D session last weekend. I was really hoping it wouldn't be though. Their site said that anything they kept longer than two weeks had an excellent chance of being accepted and they kept my poems for 3 months...Ah well, on to the next one!

Aww, too bad LadyRedRover. Like you say, on to the next one, the better one. :)

Reactions: LadyRedRover

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Liz_V - ugh. Job hunting is horrible.

Rejection hugs for joeyc and LadyRedRover.

I just got back from a camping holiday (up north of my home state). Contract was in my inbox, and I've signed and sent it back now, so I officially have a flash sale, which is lovely (Abyss and Apex, will be published in 2023, so a long way away!). I also have over 500 photos to sort through >>

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from a camping holiday (up north of my home state). Contract was in my inbox, and I've signed and sent it back now, so I officially have a flash sale, which is lovely (Abyss and Apex, will be published in 2023, so a long way away!). I also have over 500 photos to sort through >>

Congratulations, Tamlyn!!

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having a difficult time with rejections on my past couple of manuscripts, mostly because multiple agents have said there's nothing wrong with them, but they just don't like them enough. I know I should be glad they don't have anything working against them, but I don't really know what to do with that. If I had something I could actively work on, it wouldn't feel so bad, but I guess I'm just writing stories people don't love.

I'm still continuing to write (I don't think I could stop), but it's disheartening.

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tamlyn!

@owlion, That's sounds really de-motivating! I know it's rough, but the only thing we can control is our writing, not other people's reactions to it. Just keep writing what you love and keep on keeping on, my friend.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
@owlion, That's sounds really de-motivating! I know it's rough, but the only thing we can control is our writing, not other people's reactions to it. Just keep writing what you love and keep on keeping on, my friend.
Thanks :) I'll definitely keep on writing and hopefully someday write something that works better.

Reactions: LadyRedRover

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Received another rejection last night on a story. This story is pretty bleak, so I knew it would probably not be to a lot of people’s taste.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Alan Yee - :(

I sometimes feel like I have the opposite problem - I write a lot of fun, fluffy stories, and a good portion of the SFF markets out there are for darker stuff.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I was reminded Pitchwars is coming up now. Has anyone ever entered? I think it's for more polished manuscripts, yeah? So my has had an editing pass but only one wouldn't really be a fit?

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I was reminded Pitchwars is coming up now. Has anyone ever entered? I think it's for more polished manuscripts, yeah? So my has had an editing pass but only one wouldn't really be a fit?
I've entered and got a request with a semi-polished manuscript. (The first 50 pages were super polished and the remaining 400 were less so.) I'm planning on entering again this year with a project and I'm going to do a polish/edit pass.

But I've also seen people on Twitter saying the stuff they entered wasn't super polished and they ended up getting picked.

*shrug*

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alan Yee - :(

I sometimes feel like I have the opposite problem - I write a lot of fun, fluffy stories, and a good portion of the SFF markets out there are for darker stuff.
Yeah, a lot of SFF markets go for darker stuff, which describes a lot of what I write. I’m now planning on alternating with some fluffier pieces for the sake of my sanity - sometimes it gets pretty depressing. As for this story, it’s specifically an allegorical story that’s supposed to be an emotional punch in the gut, but this one is still a bit grimmer than a lot of dark stories out there because it’s not even a tiny bit hopeful.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
joeyc - hmm, thanks. I'll have to have a think about it.

Alan Yee - the occasional fluffy piece sounds like a good plan. I hope you find a home for your bleak story soon.

Featured Book