• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Chudney Agency (Steven Chudney)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What additional information are you looking for?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
This person has a great background and all the neccessary creds to handle an agency. They're are fairly new and don't expect to take on a lot of clients. I guess it looks okay. But...they are primarily interested in children, young adult, and teen fiction titles. And in the same breath they state they are not looking for spec fiction. What? No science fiction and fantasy? For a younger audience? It doesn't make sense to me.

Does that mean mainstream and coming of age type material only?

Tri

Halifax

Steven Chudney rejected my project because I don't live in the U.S. - time differences, etc. Just a preference thing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Update: Due to "an overwhelming amount of submissions", this agency is currently referral only.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice rejection a couple months ago. He said he has a client who writes similiar stuff (which is why I Q'd him). He felt it close enough to present a conflict. Or maybe he just hated it, but was kind enough to pad the rejection!

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
The submission guidelines ask for the first six chapters - do you know if he wants them as an attachment or in the body of the email?

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
Sleepsheep,

From the top of their website's submissions page:

Queries and submissions are responded to in order of receipt. Emailed queries are accepted, but all submissions must be snail mailed.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
equeried on 2/18.
responded 2/19 for fifty pages and
synopsis.
personal ejection on 3/4/08.

very response and nice agent.

eta : GOOD LUCK VANDAL!

/bootay shake!!

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
I always find interviews helpful. I'm writing YA mystery, so it's great for me right now, though since I eventually want to do some fantasy and want a long-term relationship with my agent, I'll probably pass for now. Still, for what they accept, they seem pretty legitimate. Their list of books is huge for such a small company and they secured deals in something like 6 European companies for one of their books, "The Youngest Templar." Nice!

Interview:
http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2007/11/agent-interview-steven-chudney-of.html

Last edited:

saeglopur

Registered
Reaction score
I had a really good experience with Steven Chudney. He didn't like my book, but he read the 50 pages he asked for, and gave me great feedback (hard to read, but honest) which ultimately led to me scrapping the whole thing and writing something new which is far better than the last.

I thought about querying him with my new (and extremely improved) novel, but how do you say "Hi, remember me? You hated my book! Read the next one!"

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sort of new to this, but have been lurking for awhile around here :) I'd say go for it if you think you paid attention to his advice from before (I know you scrapped the last book, but making sure the same critiques he gave for the last one can't be applied to the new one too). I'd imagine he'd be pleased to see you're not the type to get arrogant and react to critique by turning away from the agency all together. From what I've read in the advice from agents section, I'd mention you've queried before (so they don't go searching around wondering why your name's familiar), that you took his advice to heart and applied it to a new, different project.

I think it shows you're humble, but once again, I'm definitely a newbie, haha. Good luck!

Super cool he gave feedback though, even if it was negative!

saeglopur

Registered
Reaction score
You think so? I'd been considering it. Sometimes another opinion really helps. I think I'll do it. In fact, I think I'll do it today!

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I had a really good experience with Steven Chudney. He didn't like my book, but he read the 50 pages he asked for, and gave me great feedback (hard to read, but honest) which ultimately led to me scrapping the whole thing and writing something new which is far better than the last.

I thought about querying him with my new (and extremely improved) novel, but how do you say "Hi, remember me? You hated my book! Read the next one!"

I basically did precisely that with Gina Panitieri, and it worked out just fine. She was very nice and is currently considering another of my novels.

saeglopur

Registered
Reaction score
That's promising news, thanks!

Well the packet has been sent out to Mr. Chudney so... here's to getting representation!

tmallory3737

Registered
Reaction score
Got 50

Mr. Chudney requested 50 pages and a synopsis from my query. Has anyone gone from this step to the next with the Chudney agency? Any recommendations?

Tim

LovelyRita

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Chudney is a lovely agent. He's got a great sense of humor and he is very timely in his responses.

His sales record is stellar as well...

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Sent my query today, got a quick rejection. At least the reason is clear: Steven prefers contemporary settings and mine is fairy tale like, probably too close to fantasy.

tmallory3737

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm sending mine in today. It is historical fiction -- 1970's ghost story. Hopefully it flies.

Tim

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm sending mine in today. It is historical fiction -- 1970's ghost story. Hopefully it flies.

Tim
Nothing personal Tim, and I wish you all the best, but I'll just be hobbling along over here looking for my walker.

Having the 1970's refered to as 'historical' has that effect on me (graduated high school in 1975).

tmallory3737

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry
I graduated High School in 1974, so I'm one year more historical than you.
It was my daughter that told me I should try historical fiction...
And Mr. Chudney says he represents OLD Fiction... so...

Lindzy1954

Chi-Town Scribbler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tiptoe-kisses.blogspot.com
Hi everyone, I have been lurking around on this string of messages for a while and finally decided to chime in. Good luck to everyone who has a query or submission out to Mr. Chudney. He seems great. I sent him a query on 1/4 and he responded in a few days with a request for the full (early chapter book). He has a great history and according to everyone who has ever dealt with him, he is nothing but polite. I am mailing out the requested materials to him tomorrow. . . here's hoping!

Sam Robbens, Hero-in-Training book 1 "X-Ray Vision and Hamster Handshakes" complete 3600 words
Sam Robbens, Hero-in-Training book 2 "Mind power and Super Poopers" complete, unedited 5,000 words