The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good. At least she didn't manage to eat the nom while spitting out the pill. If it takes spoiling to get meds, spoil that fur baby.
Melted cheese, in case anyone else has a similar problem, it's hard to single out a pill immersed in very sticky melted cheese; as opposed to peanut butter where one's pet can suck on it and sort of dissolve the peanut butter leaving the pill behind.:e2bouncey

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Melted cheese, in case anyone else has a similar problem, it's hard to single out a pill immersed in very sticky melted cheese; as opposed to peanut butter where one's pet can suck on it and sort of dissolve the peanut butter leaving the pill behind.:e2bouncey

Decades ago, Mom had a dog who managed to spit pills out of meatballs. Annie, the dog, practically inhaled the meatballs, but the pill? Pahtooie across the room every time.

• Haha
Reactions: MaeZe

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far my buddy hasn't tossed again. She's not eating the food in her bowl but she loves to lick the plates so I was able to get the antibiotic down using a bowl with a little mac and cheese in it made to look like it was a bowl I had eaten from. :Thumbs:
Woohoo, that is good news!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, that is good news!
Sigh, spoke too soon. She kept the antibiotic down last night but just vomited again and she managed to eat the cheese around a third of the dose.

Worse, the vet is closed: no vet to staff the clinic. And the emergency vet they said to call is literally FULL. They are not seeing any more patients right now. It's an emergency vet! It's like going to a hospital ED and being told it's full.

There is a Seattle emergency vet I can take her to but there is an hours (plural) long wait and no place to park. At least they were kind enough to give me some suggestions I could try first.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How is she doing re peeing?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How is she doing re peeing?
She's not going every few minutes with blood so her infection is better. And I have seen her drink water. I'm off to see if she'll eat pancakes. The people at the vet in Seattle said it might be that the antibiotic is going down on an empty stomach.

Reactions: greendragon

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for peeing!

And yeah the empty stomach thing might be part of the problem. Cooked white rice and chicken breast, with a bit of cooked egg yolk, is a good bland but filling stand by for cats and dogs with a dicky tummy.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The impossibility of getting into a vet around here - emergency especially - is really something. (Mom was considering getting a dog again if we got the yard fixed up a bit, since she's a dog person and misses them terribly, but has no desire to be stuck with a sick animal at 3 AM and having to drive forever in the off chance an emergency vet will even be available... Not a single animal we've owned hasn't needed that trip at one point in their existence.)

Fingers crossed she's doing better...

And it's Thursday afternoon, and I'm waiting for the rain to die down a bit before trudging down the hill with the recycling bin. May just give up soon and go anyway, as I'm sick of sitting here in my shoes staring at the ceaseless drip outside my window. (Ceaseless Drip... there's another band that's never getting out of the garage...)

Work was a thing. Just updated the review site for September, so that's done. And I have a decent audiobook going for work.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave her rice, a little cooked egg white and freeze dried chicken. She ate it right up. Now we see if it stays down and then I'll give her a little more.
FWIW, egg white isn't great for dogs -- something about preventing iron absorption, I think? Would have to ask my tame vet nurse. But I don't think it will actively hurt them. And they do like it! (Well, except my previous dog, who refused to eat eggs at all. Because naturally we have a billion hens and always had a heap of excess eggs.)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: frimble3 and MaeZe

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weird things you learn from experience: Anyone ever tried peyote? It's incredibly bitter. Peanut butter disguises the taste quite nicely.

Annie kept food down all day, four or five small meals of rice and freeze dried chicken. I gave her one more. The rice was very sticky so I tried to hide the pills in it. Nope, she ate around it. I tried juice from the tuna can. Nope, that was too easy all she had to do was lap it up sans pills. But peanut butter, that did the trick.

She has food in her belly this time so fingers crossed she won't toss.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For dog or cat pills, I use cream cheese. Then peanut butter. Then beef mince. Then coat with butter and jam down their gob regardless...by which I mean delegate to Dearly Beloved.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weird things you learn from experience: Anyone ever tried peyote? It's incredibly bitter. Peanut butter disguises the taste quite nicely.

Annie kept food down all day, four or five small meals of rice and freeze dried chicken. I gave her one more. The rice was very sticky so I tried to hide the pills in it. Nope, she ate around it. I tried juice from the tuna can. Nope, that was too easy all she had to do was lap it up sans pills. But peanut butter, that did the trick.

She has food in her belly this time so fingers crossed she won't toss.
Send big good karma thoughts to you and Annie

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I descended into comfort and started re-watching a Canadian comedy I enjoy, called Slings and Arrows. It's about a struggling Shakespearean theatre in a small town and the art director is insane. It's fun. Oh, and he sees his dead mentor's ghost frequently. It has Paul Gross (Due South) and a young Rachel McAdams. Lovely show, lots of Shakespearean fun.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
FWIW, egg white isn't great for dogs -- something about preventing iron absorption, I think?
I think that's actually an old wives' tale. Both the AKC and PetMD.com say all parts of a cooked egg are perfectly safe for dogs (assuming no allergies or overfeeding of them of course, which applies to any food) and actually are a good source of iron and many other vitamins. The only warnings are about raw eggs due to the risk of salmonella, which also applies to humans.

Kinda the only news I have right now is, oh my goodness, how is it October already??? And also that mom did better yesterday than Wednesday and is better today than yesterday. Here's hoping the upward trend continues.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maeze, my tenant fed her aging dog medications enclosed in pieces of turkey hot dogs.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Welp...trying desperately to hire a couple of people so I can stop working 60+ hour weeks.

Got ghosted on an interview yet again, this morning. Where IS everyone? How are they paying their bills?

• Wow

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maeze, my tenant fed her aging dog medications enclosed in pieces of turkey hot dogs.
Annie only has a couple teeth left and she carefully sifts through anything semisolid before swallowing.

Ongoing doggie drama: She tossed sometime during the night. No obvious antibiotic in it so I'm thinking positively. Perhaps it was too soon to start adding the tuna liquids. Hopefully it wasn't the peanut butter because I don't have anything else to hide the bitter pills in.

Why do they make these things taste so bad? :(

With some dogs and most kids you can push things back via the side of the tongue and get the thing to where the little being has to swallow it. Not with this dog. She has perfected the art of dodging anything coming toward her face. And if you try too hard she squeals loudly making you feel terrible for torturing your dog.

Back to the rice and chicken for the morning... postponing the antibiotic until I assess the situation.

• Hug
Reactions: MacAllister

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good thing I only eat organic peanut butter. Apparently there are a number of brands of peanut butter that contain Xylitol which is poisonous to dogs. :eek: I did not know that.

I'm off to buy more options for vomiting dogs: more rice, some chicken to boil, baby food—chicken, lamb, turkey with no garlic or onion flavoring— organic unsalted smooth peanut butter because mine is crunchy (nuts). Fats are not good so I'll have to go very slow on the peanut butter.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use cream cheese for my dog's daily pills, and for my cats' occasional pills. It usually works with the cats, and always works with the dog. Though admittedly the dog would probably swallow a kitchen chair without chewing. And with the cats sometimes I have to give them several pill-free bits of cream cheese and then the final one has the real thing in it.

ETA: or Marmite/Vegemite. Super strong flavoured and dogs love it. Marmite and honey, smeared over the pill or mixed with a crushed pill, might work?

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I thought xylitol was a sugar substitute, would random brands have it instead of sugar?
That said, reading labels never hurts whether for us or for our critters.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought xylitol was a sugar substitute, would random brands have it instead of sugar?
That said, reading labels never hurts whether for us or for our critters.
You might be surprised to see how many peanut butter brands have sugar in them. Jif is essentially peanut butter mixed with lard, (they use hydrogenated vege oil to keep it meat free now), to make it solid at room temperature. It also has some sugar in it. From the company website:

Ingredients
Made From Roasted Peanuts And Sugar, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Molasses, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed And Soybean), Mono And Diglycerides, Salt.

So I'm not surprised to find artificial sweeteners replacing the high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar in some peanut butters.

There is sugar of some kind in all sorts of products. I have to work hard to avoid it because it's just not necessary for everything I eat to be sweet. :mad:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, egg white isn't great for dogs -- something about preventing iron absorption, I think? Would have to ask my tame vet nurse. But I don't think it will actively hurt them. And they do like it! (Well, except my previous dog, who refused to eat eggs at all. Because naturally we have a billion hens and always had a heap of excess eggs.)
What? You had a billion hens that the Previous Dog could see and hear and practically taste, and you were giving PD eggs? No wonder he wouldn't eat them! You were teasing him!

• Haha
Reactions: Friendly Frog