The Big Bumper Friday Check-In Thread

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
SuperKate - I hope your pitchwars revision went great! I'm still drafting my WIP. I want to finish by the end of October. I think I'd said the same ting about finishing by the end of September.

How is everyone else doing?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is doing great. I just finished my revisions to my latest manuscript. Was hoping to see if anyone in the kidlit gang would be interested in a possible beta swap?

CamJMcFadden

Coffee Fiend
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Team Kid Lit!

Technically it's Friday over here in Melbourne, so I thought I'd come introduce myself. My name is Cameron and I've searched a long time for a dedicated MG community (seriously, there must be 10 YA forums for every MG forum).

Anyhow, I just finished a 65,000 word MG humorous adventure novel - or, as I like to call it, My First Book That Doesn't Suck. I've spent most of my writing life at the library, feverishly working on bizarre ideas and half-baked novels. Now that I've managed to create something publishable, I'd like to become involved in a community of like-minded creative types with a passion for MG.

I'm searching for CP partners and/or writer buddies while I improve my writing skillz and search for my next big idea. If anyone is interested in a beta swap for their book, certainly let me know. After months cooped up in the writing cave, reading someone else's work would be a great change of pace.

I hope everyone's writing is going well!

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm doing really well! Still stressed by all the writing I have to do, but I had such an amazing time in NYC for Comic Con! I got to sign copies of ARCs of my MG, and I also got to meet with my marketing team at the publisher's which was really cool and very informative (I so love information). AND THEN yesterday I got a delivery by UPS that was my book jacket in all it's embossed spot glossed glory!! It's so pretty and I lurve it!! I feel really lucky and really excited and also a little overwhelmed. But it's been a very good week and I need to work on acknowledging when the good weeks happen you know??

Playground - congrats on the revisions!

Cam - Nice to meet you! Congratulations on finishing the book!! That's uber exciting!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Cam, just pmed you the query; don't want to flood this thread with it. But, welcome! I joined here like over five years ago and this community has helped me tremendously!

Toothpaste, congrats on all the stuff! I've read some of your other MG books so I am stoked to read your latest. Also, beautiful cover for it. What are your deadlines you have to meet?

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
playground - Aw thank you! :) And yes, isn't it fantastic?? I seriously lucked out. My deadlines are working on the second book that I'm co-writing with someone else, and doing major edits on the second EXPLORERS book.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
cam - It's great to meet you! Congrats playground on finishing your draft. I'm still in the drafting phase but I'm trying to battle through it. Toothpaste - the Explorers cover is fantastic!! And Happy Friday to all!

(I actually managed a post on a Friday. I think today is Friday anyway. Some weeks its hard to figure out.)

SarahRoss

Registered
Reaction score
playground & Cam: I'd be interested in swapping with you. I just finished the first draft of my first MG novel. I may want to wait until draft 2 to send it out to betas, but I'd be happy to look at what you have. PM me.

It's good to finish a first draft. I think I'll wait a week or so before going right into revisions.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
playground - Aw thank you! :) And yes, isn't it fantastic?? I seriously lucked out. My deadlines are working on the second book that I'm co-writing with someone else, and doing major edits on the second EXPLORERS book.

Do you have any plans of touring for the first Explorers' book?

SarahRoss: Pming you now. Thanks!

CamJMcFadden

Coffee Fiend
Registered
Reaction score
This forum is so cool.

Playground: I sent you a message. Pumped to read Stargazer!

SarahRoss: Pmed you as well. Thanks for your interest!

Supergirlofnc: It's nice to meet you, too! Good luck with your drafting! Do you tend to map out the story before you actually write it? I only ask because I used to just write and see where the story took me, but now that I've taken some classes on story structure and plot, I'm thinking about mapping out my next book before I set pen to paper.

Toothpaste: I agree with everyone - your cover looks awesome! It must be intense, waiting to see what kind of cover your publisher will produce after all the time and effort you put into writing the manuscript. I've always wondering what it'd be like to co-write a book - how are you finding it so far?

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
playground - actually I just learned that yes, my publisher does indeed plan on touring me! Very much looking forward to it!

Cam - thank you! Oh yes, it's always such a terrifying prospect. As we all know, people really DO judge books by their cover and I have seen many a book flounder due to a bad cover. So yes, waiting and waiting is terrifying. That being said, I do think the effort put into MG covers is pretty extraordinary usually. It's rare these days that I see a particularly bad one.

Co-writing has been working quite well, actually. I think it depends who and how. But this is the second book for us, so we're figuring out the kinks.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cam - I usually have to write a few thousand words before I do any outlining, but I'm trying to outline more. For my WIP I wrote 5-8K, revised a few times, then made a outline for the rest of the story. Now that I'm past the halfway point, I'm revisiting my outline and adding more details toward the ending (which had less). I've found my drafts and plots much tighter when I'm able to map them out.

I really like mapping it out. I've found it challenging, though, because it didn't come as natural to me as just writing. I think I'm getting better at it :)

Toothpaste - Best wishes on the tour. I'd love to hear about it and how it all goes!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
HI all! I just got back from an SCBWI retreat! It was amazing! I was really happy to learn that my current book is marketable! Yay! (unlike the fairy book I wrote...) But I have more rewrites! I had an epiphany about the middle and I want to work on it using the feedback I got. So I think submitting will be farther away than I was hoping.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
CheG - that's wonderful! I mean, it sucks a bit to put off submitting, but knowing it's for the good of the book is pretty great. :)

supergirl - will do! It won't be until April though, so, I mean . . . it'll be a while :)

CamJMcFadden

Coffee Fiend
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! How did the last week go? It's raining here in Melbourne but that makes for good writing weather!

This week I've been preparing a MG adventure book for querying, which I've never officially done before. It's been both exciting and daunting - I mean, I've dreamed and thought and dissected this next step a million times in my head, only to completely blank out when I actually sit down in front of my computer. Anyways, I'm going to post my query letter over at the AW Query Letter Hell forum, so if you'd like to take a look and critique, I could certainly use all the help I can get!

In the meantime, I've also been brainstorming new ideas for a supernatural MG series (i.e., watching a lot of Z-grade horror movies). I'm trying something different this time by mapping out my plot before actually writing the bulk of it. We'll see how it goes :).

Hope everyone's doing well!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Cam, if you haven't watched Stranger Things, check it out. It might help you with some ideas. It was a great, tight-written show on Netflix.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where else to put this, but I just published my first podcast this week. It's called Dream Gardens, and the premise is to talk to other writers, teachers, librarians, etc. about their favorite Middle Grade book. First one is about William Alexander's Ambassador, and I'll be posting the second (Dan Gemienhart's The Honest Truth) on the 15th (even though the sound quality is a bit shitty because of technical snafus :Hammer:). Right now I'm just posting it on the website, but I figure once I have 4 or 5 done I put it up on ITunes. The links in my signature if you want to check it out. If anyone has any ideas about getting more visibility for it, I 'd love to hear it.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Like a zombie slinking back from the post-Halloween activities, David rises with a groan and a gurgle.

Ugh... being sick sucks. And on the eve of NaNo, too! Dangit... I can barely look at the screen to write this message, my eyes are hurting despite reduced brightness. But I am back, and working on the beginnings of my MG steampunk novel "Oliver Cantrop and the Insatiable Rust", if only in my head and roughly on paper.

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
knock knock... any mg people here?! I'm getting my feet wet learning to write and (while I always thought I'd love to write romance!) I'm drawn to this 8-12 age group. I had two ideas for nano and the mg one won! Literally! I'm working on refining my craft (cause craft is too kind a word for this right now... it's junk!) and working to WRITE better. The stories are great the writing sucks.

anyone still hanging around here?

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to know what everyone's up to?! Anyone nano MG? I love MG - and am working on my writing. I've got great story ideas (doesn't everyone?!). But not I need to explore your signature!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Lol! :) Well you can read this thread that's a good place to start! This technically is meant for Fridays so if you have a subject you specifically want to discuss start a new thread about it below! I think having a specific subject to discuss when it comes to MG writing will help people to post because I know right now I'm a little overwhelmed by the question of "What everyone is up to". But to attempt to answer: I'm editing the second book in my new series.

What about you? What does "working on my writing" mean? :)

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. I guess, I get that now. At the nano site, MG is pretty much a (not moving very much and few threads posted) subset of YA on the boards and I was wondering if the same was here - glad to see it's not!

Working on my writing means trying not to suck! I'm writing, and reading books on wrting, and writing, and taking Coursera's online (free) class, and writing some more. I love learning (about anything and everything) so it is fun for me to know that I suck at something and then work to become better.

See you on Friday!

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving