The Big Bumper Friday Check-In Thread

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I had to change the title of of my Tokyopop OEL manga. It began as Nachtwald but they thought it sounded too much like another book and we had to brainstorm another title. It really sucked. I am BAD at titles at the best of times. BUt trying to come up with something new was terrible.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh - sorry you had to change your title Toothpaste but glad you got it resolved. You, too, Che. Also - tokyopop OEL manga. That sounds awesome!

I'm at 29K on my WIP. If I can just get another thousand or so words, I feel like I can check off the 'half way done with draft' box. Right now, I feel like its in pretty good shape for a draft. After I'm done, and reread it, that might change though.

I'm not sure if you all experience this but sometimes when I'm writing I'm like "THIS IS THE BEST SCENE EVER"...and then I reread and have to stop myself from deleting the whole thing. That won't happen to me with this one, though. It probably won't anyway...

:Hug2:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi all! Happy Friday! Things are humming along over here. I've started sending the soccer book out into the world (the complete lack of any response is making me think that the dead of summer is maybe not the best time to start querying, but what can you do?). I'm working on a new MG, as well--first person this time, which is new for me. It's also got a slightly older protagonist, a 13yo. Does anyone think I'm going to regret that? I've heard that it's not a good idea to make your MC a 14yo, because then the book falls into the dead zone between MG and YA, but someone recently told me that 13 might be tough, too. She really feels 13 to me, though. I dunno.

Anyway, happy writing, everyone, and have a great weekend!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
SuperKate said:
I'm working on a new MG, as well--first person this time, which is new for me. It's also got a slightly older protagonist, a 13yo. Does anyone think I'm going to regret that? I've heard that it's not a good idea to make your MC a 14yo, because then the book falls into the dead zone between MG and YA, but someone recently told me that 13 might be tough, too. She really feels 13 to me, though. I dunno.

I'm not sure you should worry too much about it. I always heard that 12 was the sweet spot, and then randomly a few months ago, I saw an agent say that 12 was young for upper middle grade. I went into a panic, but since then, I've seen a lot of... This age! No, this age! Never this age! Always this age! and it's all different number somewhere between 10 and 14. I compensate for this by having a range of ages for my supporting children characters. Lol.

For my part, I'm mostly wallowing in shame and self pity, which is why I'm fairly quite around here. I really need to get over the things that are holding me back and get some constructive things accomplished.

In other news, while the body of my WIP has been pretty consistent, I've been having a lot of trouble with my beginning. A couple of days ago, though, I thought of a scene that might let me accomplish all the things I wanted to do with the opening... won't know until I write it, though.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I think 13 falls into upper MG. And there are books with 13 yr olds. I've seen them. I don't know how much traction the books get. But I wouldn't worry about it now. If an agent wants it they may suggest changing the age and that's when you do it.

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! Happy Friday! Things are humming along over here. I've started sending the soccer book out into the world (the complete lack of any response is making me think that the dead of summer is maybe not the best time to start querying, but what can you do?). I'm working on a new MG, as well--first person this time, which is new for me. It's also got a slightly older protagonist, a 13yo. Does anyone think I'm going to regret that? I've heard that it's not a good idea to make your MC a 14yo, because then the book falls into the dead zone between MG and YA, but someone recently told me that 13 might be tough, too. She really feels 13 to me, though. I dunno.

Anyway, happy writing, everyone, and have a great weekend!

For what it's worth, I'm doing exactly the same thing. My trilogy is 95% written, and the remaining work would be best done after a long break -- so I'm laying out a totally new story now. In first person. With a 13-year-old MC.

I've read a few books lately with protagonists of that age, and they seem to be firmly lodged into upper MG. Generally serious books, sometimes long, but they tend not to go into into YA-land with all its grimdark miserable romantic traumatic dystopian emo awfulness. (Ask me for my real opinions on contemporary YA. Go on. I dare ya! Yes, I know it's not all nearly that bad.)

With a 13-year-old MC, I'm going to assume that 16-year-olds won't be reading it anyway. An 10- or 11-year-old will, though. So I'll write it with them in mind.

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Thanks for the support on the 13yo protagonist, Team Kidlit! Very much appreciated. And I love that you and I are in the same place, Jenifer! Go, 13yos!

Che, that cover is so great! I want it up in my house!

Heza, no shame and self-pity! I was there earlier this summer, and decided to give myself one task only: write 15 minutes a day on any topic. Even I was able to pull that off, and it's helped me to get back on the horse with this new WIP. Writing's got to be fun, you know? I hope you're feeling a little better now. Sending hugs.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm checking into the Friday check-in thread on Sunday. Because I'm a REBEL. How is everyone in kidlit land?

I'm helping out with the Weymouth Write-On Camp for kids this week so I hope that goes well. Also, I'm re-painting my mom's old house. And I'm revising and writing! So it'll be a busy week!

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday!

I started typing up the first few chapters of my novel, using my hand-written rough draft as a base (though that was written back when it was a YA novel with no clear main character so a lot of changes were necessary). I was feeling good, thinking to myself: 'Wonderful! I'm being so straightforward with my writing! Not wasting words or anything! This is much more streamlined than how I normally write!' Then I checked my word-count. Barely even started on what I want to cover in Chapter 1? 1000 words.

Oh dear.

How many chapters is this thing going to be?

Oh deary dear.

Looks like I'm going to need to take a chainsaw to my writing once I've got the whole thing written, because apparently I'm still not telling my story fast enough.

SarahRoss

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, MG writers!

I'm new to MG, but am currently more than 8,000 words into a contemporary MG fantasy. I'm having a blast writing for this age range, not to mention reading MG books to get a feel for things.

So far I've largely been winging it, but I think it's time to create a loose outline. I've gotten past the main set-up stuff at this point and need to create a more definitive plan.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gene and Sarah - Nice to meet you both!

Gene - I say have fun and chainsaw away when you're ready.

Good luck, Sarah, on making your outline. I always have trouble with those. But the one I did make and was happy with I made when I had about 8K on my WIP :)

I'm going through my first pass pages this week on my book three. Then my series will be finished. It is very bittersweet.

Happy Writing :)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I'M COMING BACK TO KIDLIT!!

Hey guys, long time no see :) Since I published my very darkly themed YA book I put away my MG work to focus on branding but things have kind of shifted in a way that leaves me in a good place to pull out my last MG (still beloved (by me) but shelved after barely querying it for the above reasons) and query with it, in a "see where it goes" sorta way. I'll have a pseudonym in mind but nothing in place (I'm thinking a simple S.P. Trombley but maybe using my maiden name too, not sure. I'll likely let an agent help me decide that if I ever get there)

I am exceptionally happy about this :) So, Hiiii again!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hello, Team Kid Lit! Nice to see you all. Welcome back, Tromboli! So great to see your smiling face. And woo hoo, Supergirl! How fantastic that you're finishing your trilogy. What an accomplishment!

I'm continuing with my WIP, slowly but surely. It's been fun. I'm also reading lots--right now Big Magic, which is so inspiring and encouraging. Finally, on the non-writing front, school starts in just over a week, and we're about to begin a renovation! Lots to keep me busy.

Hope everyone is happy and healthy. Have a great weekend!

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Tromboli - Welcome back to MG!!! (I have your YA on my kindle tbr list!)

Thanks, SuperKate. It's weird to be working on new things and wondering if anyone will be interested. My agent seems to like my WIP though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll continue to do so, and an editor will, too.

I think slow and steady is a good writing pace. Good luck on your renovation and with back to school time!

I don't know about you all, but I'm ready for fall!

:TheWave:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Well it's not Friday but I'll check in! I'm editing like mad on my first 10 pages and wrote a chapter-by-chapter (SHORT) outline of my book in preparation for a one-on-one consultation with an agent. I am going to a local SCBWI fall retreat in October but I have to mail in my pages the first week of September. The book isn't really ready for human eyes yet, but I didn't want to waste the opportunity of talking to an agent, and they might have suggestions for improvement. It's a book I love but one I only just finished a month ago.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the retreat and meeting fellow authors! I'm still pretty new to OR so this will be fun.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Guys!! I had to come running here so fast because, OMG, I finished the book!! I finished it!! I can't believe it. It was such a challenge to write, I'm not even sure why, but it's been SUCH a stressful summer trying to get it done. But I finished it! I was shaking when I sent it off to my editor, like literally shaking. Such relief. So happy. I FINISHED IT!

On another subject I designed a bookmark for my book out in the spring and I am way too proud of it :) (isn't the pig ADORABLE?? I can take no credit for it, of course, that was done by the illustrator of the book) http://adriennekress.tumblr.com/post/149473785488/i-designed-a-bookmark-for-the-explorers-and-i

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for finishing the book! Congratulations and good job. I'm sure that's a load off your shoulders.

And yes, the pig is adorable! It's a lovely bookmark. Where are you going to hand them out? Readings and stuff?

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Woo hoo, Toothpaste! That's fantastic!! That bookmark is completely adorable, and your book sounds amazing. Congratulations!

Che, good luck with the edits and at the conference! I always come away from conferences so inspired and ready to write.

Supergirl, I have no doubt at all that your new book is going to be awesome. You can do this! Have fun with it!

I have some good news myself - I got into Pitch Wars! I'm going to be revising my soccer book with Shandylous, who some of you may have seen around here. I'm so thrilled, and can't wait to get to work.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday to everyone :) Good luck with the revisions and the sharing, Che!

Toothpaste - Woohoo!!! And the pig with the teeny hat is so cute!

SuperKate - Awesome about Pitchwars! I liked the query from your soccer book a lot so I'm thrilled to here it was picked :)

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Thank you!!!!

heza - yup, I have a couple conventions coming up, also going to give them to local bookstores and just generally keep on me to give out to people if they want them :)

Superkate - congratulations!! That's really exciting! We shall keep our fingers crossed for you!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Toothpaste- That pig is AMAZEBALL! Like super KAWAII!! LOL!
Superkate- awesome! Good luck with pitchwars!!

I'm still trying to fix my first 10 pages but I think I'm going to have to kill some darlings even though it was really good information, Maybe I can fit it in somewhere else. I'm also getting a YA novelette ready to self-publish. It's too long for a short story market (11k) so that's about all I can do with it. But I'm happy with how the edits are turning out. What I REALLY want to do is the cover because that's the fun part! LOL!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I never come here on Friday, so just call me the rebel.

I've started querying my MG and currently have 3 full requests and 0 rejections! It's been 2 weeks since I started, so plenty of time for rejections lol and my three reqs are all from agents I have some kind of previous connection with. Still, I'm feeling good so far :)

In the next two days I'll be done edits on my new YA and PW mentoring duties are nearly done so I'm ready to start working on something new. Yay writing!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
p.s. I would legit buy that book based on that book mark so I call that SUCESS! Ha The pig is adorable but I love the copy on it too!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Aw thanks Tromboli! (you non-conforming posting in Friday threads on a Wednesday person you!) I'm glad you also like the copy. It was a collaboration between me and my publishers which doesn't always happen, sometimes they just write something for you and that's it. So I'm very grateful that they cared enough to get my thoughts :) .

And congrats on the 3 for 0!! That's amazing!!!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi all! I'm socked away in a cheap hotel near my house, furiously typing away at my Pitch Wars revision. Thanks for all the kind words! I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed, but am hoping this weekend I can make some real progress. Speaking of, better get back to it. Hugs and happy writing to all!!