The AW Family Album

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Unique said:
Anya - when I put up one picture on a different thread it came up, but when I put two, it came up like yours - with links. I don't know why. :Shrug: I'm a TechnoNot. All I can do is guess and press buttons.

When you attach the images, more than 1 image will result in the images appearing as links. If you upload them to photobucket or something, you can click on the immage button in the reply thread tools and input the URL, that way you can put as many pictures in th ebody as you need without them looking like links.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
DamaNegra said:
When you attach the images, more than 1 image will result in the images appearing as links. If you upload them to photobucket or something, you can click on the immage button in the reply thread tools and input the URL, that way you can put as many pictures in th ebody as you need without them looking like links.
???

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
For those who are having problems loading photos:

Go to: http://photobucket.com/register.php?link=topmenu

Join and log in:

Select the amount of photos you want to upload from your hardrive at the Submit multiple images dropdown amount:
[ Add Images From URL ]

or just below that, you have an image window with Browse on the right; hit the browse button and chose where you have the image on your harddrive.

It will bring up another window of your harddrive when you’ve found your image, left click it.

It automaticly inserts it into the image window.

Then you just hit the submit button. You might want to check the keep original image name.

It will take a while according to your Internet speed and tell you when the images are loaded.

You may screw up, just practice; it is simple. You can delete what you don’t want too. It is far simpler than what you may think from these instructions.

When you’ve added your picture to photobucket.com you will find just below them, three windows:

Window one is URL

Window two is Tag

Window three is IMG

Left click on the Window three IMG window (Not the picture), right click copy and take the copied IMG and paste it to your page.

You will find you’re are pasting brackets inclosing a URL such as this:
b]

It’s as simple as that.

Take this instruction from a dummy. One of the young guys at work drew this up and presented it to me when I retired from the space center.

Jerry_the_Old_Timer.jpg

I hope this helps you all some.

Smoking pot doesn’t help ya none. LOL
high.gif

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Right. When you use the "manage attachments" feature here, if you want to post just one picture, it'll post it right here in the thread, but more than one will show up as links. That's mostly a courtesy for people on slow connections, so the page doesn't take forever to load because it's all full of pictures.

Using Photobucket is great, though-- that saves us some space on our servers here. Thanks for the instructions, Jerry! I've been using Photobucket lately, too. It's really handy.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Right. When you use the "manage attachments" feature here, if you want to post just one picture, it'll post it right here in the thread, but more than one will show up as links. That's mostly a courtesy for people on slow connections, so the page doesn't take forever to load because it's all full of pictures.

Using Photobucket is great, though-- that saves us some space on our servers here. Thanks for the instructions, Jerry! I've been using Photobucket lately, too. It's really handy.
Speaking of which, I might have to kick in a contribution for all the photos I've posted recently. I am such a dork for pictures to express me thoughts...just tell me where to send the check!

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
th_d74a879b.jpg

This is my wife, Melissa, and her favorite palomino filly.

th_JoshuaAndsnakeandhorse82005012.jpg

This is my stepson, Josh, pleading with his mom to please just take the damn picture.

This is Rudy, a rat terrier. He's very spoiled, but of course, all our dogs are.

This is Rosco.

And this is Bear.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
OK, I jusy created a Photobucket album withthe pix already on my HD. I'll scan some more older photos today and put them up later.

Oh dear. Something went wrong. Those are the thumbnails.I'll leave those up for now and use a different method next time.
The bottom image is me signing a novel for my former headmistress and English teacher!

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
Okay...is it just me, or is everybody shocked that Dawno's ears aren't actually her ears. She does not have them in this photo?
weren't they surgically implanted as a christmas gift or something? that's what i was told :Shrug:

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
Unique said:
Anya - when I put up one picture on a different thread it came up, but when I put two, it came up like yours - with links. I don't know why. :Shrug: I'm a TechnoNot. All I can do is guess and press buttons.

Yeah, that's why I was surprised. When I just uploaded a painting, it appeared in the body of the post, and now it's a link. But I saw other people have two or more on the post.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
don't ask:

sorry everyone for the abnormal size of the pic. thanks to gpatten and mac for their help!

peace, Zoolio xxxx

76f39ebd.jpg

Last edited:

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Nique Zoolio

Nique Zoolio,
Photobucket.com can size your picture to fit a web page where people with poor eyesight can see it and where it isn’t too big where they have to use the sliders to view it.

If you are using Photobucket.com, find: tools and tips at the top of your page on photobucket.com.

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More Photo-Posting How-To

PhotoBucket is good, but it's not the only option. I saved this message, posted eons ago by Galoot, who's only recently resurfaced. (Give him a rep point if you use it, okay?)

I don't use AW's storage space. I've got nothing against it, but I like saving Jenna a few bucks. If everyone uploads a 50kb picture and then posts it to a thread, and hundreds of people read the thread, Jenna's just paid for umpteen megabytes of data being downloaded from the AW servers. Remember, AW gets over a million hits a month.

I like places like ImageShack. You can upload pictures from your hard drive to theirs, then display the pictures in the AW forums (or E-Bay, or your home page, or wherever). It's free. ImageShack encourages it. (Other sites don't, so don't steal their bandwidth.)

I don't know anything about the fancy Message Editor Interface down there. I switched it to bare-bones basic in my settings the day I joined up. All those doohickeys take too much time to load when all I want to do is write a short post. (Hey, it could happen that I'm brief!)

I know this much: whether you use the fancy interface or the plain one, the code to display images is the same. You can use the nice interface and still follow along with these examples.

---------------------------------------

Posting images and shrinking AW's bandwidth bill:

1) Find an image you like on the net (get permission to use it if it's not in the public domain) or use an image of your own.

2) Save it to your computer. On the web, right-clicking your mouse on the image should pop up a menu, one of the choices being "Save Image As..." or something close. Save it in a place you can find it. I use the "C:\TempCrap" directory, and just delete everything in there once a week or so.

3) Go to ImageShack [that’s imageshack.us, NOT imageshack.com] and click the "Choose" button there. A window will pop up in which you can navigate your own hard drive. Do that and find the place where you stored your image. Select your image, then click OKAY or OPEN or whatever your operating system tells you when you're on the right track.

The image's location on your hard drive will now be shown in the text box to the left of that "Choose" button.

4) Click the "Host it!" button at ImageShack. Your computer will upload the image to their server. If it's a small image, go to step 5. If it's a large image, skip ahead to step 6.

5) a) If it's a small image you'll be brought to a page with a bunch of code on it. Select the code on the line that reads "Direct link to image" and copy it to your clipboard using CTRL-C.

b) In your AW message, type this:

Replace "PASTE THE CODE HERE" with the code you copied in the last step. Use CTRL-V.

c) You're done. Here's what it looks like with the sample image I used: [shows an image]

6) a) If it's a large image you'll be brought to a page with a bunch of code on it, and a small thumbnail version of your image. Select the code on the line that reads "Thumbnail for forums (1)" and copy it to your clipboard using CTRL-C.

b) In your AW message, paste the code you just copied into your message using CTRL-V. Like this:

c) When you post, you'll see a thumbnail image in your message that people can click on to see a larger version if they want. The little black bar at the bottom shows how big the full-sized version is. People with slow connections won't have to download the big image unless they want to.

You're done. Here's what it will look like: [image of poor confused snake!]

Click on it if you want to see the big version. (Then say, "Ooo, that's neat, Galoot. Did you make that?" And I'll say, "Why yes, I did. Aren't I great?")

1. imageshack.us (not .com!)
2. browse to find image on my computer--resize as needed. Rename as needed, too. [So my real name's not associated with it.]
3. upload to imageshack
4. copy the URL for Direct Link to Image
5. type [img ]http://directlinkurlyoucopied.png[/img ]

Maryn, who's not a techie but can do this

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Lol, more pics:

Here's me, not noticing &%$& bf was taking me a picture.
anna1.jpg

And he's bf, not noticing I'm taking him a picture and taking a very cool pose
Aysi.jpg

And here's my baby!!! She's the sweetest in the world!!
S2020033.jpg

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Looooool it was a lollipop :) I think they gave it to us because it was Children's Day or something (yeah like I'm young enough to keep receiving lollipops)

Featured Book