The 2021 Things We Loved Thread

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPXI
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is for written works (short fiction, novels, etc.) we loved that were published in 2021, with an eye both towards recommending works to fellow readers and to throw titles in the Community Consideration Hat for next year's awards season.

This is NOT a self-promo spot, so recommendations should not come from those works' authors. Mod has x-ray vision and can see right through your clever self-promo-ing disguise. (-:

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Hassan the Executioner Walks Out of Jawasar for the Last Time by R.K. Duncan (in Beneath Ceaseless Skies #330). A little over 5000 words.

Character/voice-driven, set in the immediate aftermath of the violent revolutionary toppling of a tyrannical regime that itself started as revolution against a tyrannical regime as well, through the eyes and musings of the left-hand of the despot just killed.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I just finished reading the second book by Emily Croy Barker. It's the sequel to The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic: How to Talk to a Goddess and Other Lessons in Real Magic. She is now on my list of authors whose latest book I buy automatically without bothering to find anything about it.

Here's the link to the first book of this terrific series.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074VTHMK/?tag=absowrit-20

Featured Book