The 2021 Sequel Summer Soltice (Not Necessarily in that Order) Story Swap

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I tossed the question whether we should try and have one this year out on the Discord forums and got a few bites. So now that AW is back, we can start looking at it in earnest but I reckon we ought to work out a few things before we throw the doors of sign-up open wide...

First thing, who's wanting to run it? I haven't seen Kevin in a while yet, so I don't know whether they're up for it this year. We've had a few people bravely step up in the past and they did marvelously but life has a habit of getting in the way and the Mad Scientists Association says NO on cloning Cobra. (Stupid Mad Scientists Assiociation...) It's not a glamourous job and probably akin to herding cats and probably the only bit of fun will be DING-ing is the Guessing thread. (I'm not selling this well, am I?)

Anyway, if no one is keen to have a shot at it, I'm willing to try but I don't want to steal anyone's thunder if anyone wants to have a go. I've just enjoyed past Sequel Sisyphusses too much to see it die prematurely.

Second thing, we ought to work out perhaps a better system for people to read each other works? The writing is all very fine, but most of us will want to be have it read too. Or am I on the wrong track?

So do people want a different system than the standard 'PM someone if you want to read their work and whether they hand it over is up to them' or does it work best for you? Are there better options? Because I reckon we need to be sure about this because it will determine for some whether they'll sign-up.

Anything else I am forgetting so far?

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Friendly Frog,

I would be out of my depth if I ran the SSS, plus my current workload is about to increase. I love taking part, so will happily join in.

With respect to the current 'reading other's stories' system works fine. The guessing thread gives a taste of the story and if you wish to read further sending a PM feels appropriate. My biggest problem is finding time to read them!

Suggesting three prompts and then voting for your top three choices also works well. The one where there were five (I think) equal tops, we just voted for our favourite three out of the five.

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in a position to administrate, but I'll happily take part. Enjoyed it last year and came up with a 9000-worder which with revisions is now an 11000-worder!

Reactions: Elenitsa

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to participate again, but can't officiate.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't written a thing for months but the return of AW has aroused the bug. I'd hope to take part in this year's SSSSS and am happy for Friendly Frog to do all the work :greenie

I think I understand where FF is coming from re getting the stories out to reader/s. In Sisyphus Major, the gifting of your story to your giftee guarantees at least one person will read it. But in the Summer (winter, actually šŸ˜Š) one, unless your story is requested by somebody, it may never find any eyes. Which kinda sucks. Don't know what the solution is, but will have a think about it.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps let people sign up to participate very narrowly as assigned readers?

Note: this doesn't simplify the distribution problem, but might mitigate the problem of entries not finding a home.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I would be game for participating! Any other year I might step up for running the show, but this summer is shaping up to be a doozy and I don't want to risk dropping the ball. I'm fine with the current story reading system, but I wouldn't mind a new one either. As ajaye said, it's nice to have at least one person guaranteed to read your story.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I hadst not see this. Put me down for another person who would love to participate but mmmaybe don't wanna lead the durn thing. If Froggy wants the glory (and pain).

I've always been unsure if there's a better way to do the story swap, I actually like the three prompt smorgasbord as opposed to being assigned a prompt (both ways are great, but an alternative prompt is nice). As for making sure someone actually reads your story, I've never quite come up with a solution there. I also have some trepedation about trying to get a guessing thread running while the site's in beta, but that might be a problem we can kick down the road into the future. Whatever the overall decision and changes might be I'm fine with it, no solution is gonna be perfect and the point is to just have a low-stress/high-creativity experience. Part of me thinks we should just start getting prompts together and set a deadline for sign-ups, then worry about distribution & other matters later.

Lemme know if you need any help putting it together, Froggy (hereby nominating Froggy as Our Fearless Leader). I kinda don't want the responsibility right now but would be happy to lend assistance if you need an extra pair of hands.

• Wow
Reactions: Friendly Frog

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Ah.

Well, I walked straight into that one, didn't I? :scared:

Right then.

By absense of anyone more willing, it looks like your lovely host of this year's Sequel Sisyphus will be your local AW amiable amphibian. May the gods have mercy on us all.

I may take you up on that offer, Kevin. Thanks.

I suggest we table the distribution question for now. Consensus seems to be it either isn't that pressing or no one can think of a better system.

Sign-up will officially open in a few days while I work things out to deal with the absense of rep comments and such.

So I suggest you lot start thinking of your prompts! :troll

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'm down for a swap if you'll be playing this summer.