The 2021 Sequel Soltice SF&F Story Slinging AKA the Sequel Sisyphus!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
My story, This Visionary Breed has been guessed. Although I have a story written, it needs more work before it's properly ready. You're welcome to read it in it's current state and it's 5300 words long.

Three individuals have died on the Mary Celeste, which is a ride in an Intergalactic Mystery Theme Park, and Detective Jansen, together with a Psychic Detective need to work out what's happened and get the ride reopened asap.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Yeah, should probably mention mine as I got knocked out early. (I suppose I'm too predictable. On the other hand, dragons are like chocolate, and chocolate is never the wrong choice.)

Draconity, a rambling monstrosity clocking it at 23K words, is your typical fantasy: cursed princess turns into a dragon, princess's beloved and friends set out on a secret quest for a cure, princess is locked away and writes letters to her beloved... princess starts to get used to her scales, even as the quest drags on and the kingdom starts falling into chaos around her...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall nicking you with my first dart once before. I'd say I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone would believe me.

Uh, sorry Kev? Still pals, right? :roll:
Lol, had to be someone. I’m gonna retire my plans to write long, fulfilling stories and my one goal for the big Sisyphus is to just write something that isn’t guessed out quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: Friendly Frog

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
You mean the randomly flailing hooves that lashed out because the illiterate horse didn't even bother reading any of the excerpts? Those hooves?

Hmmph
Them randomly flailing hooves that are on top of the scoreboard? Yeah, those hooves, yeah.

Too many Mauds, Norman?:roll:

Barely had time to read the excerpts myself. Of course it took me to right up after I had posted all the excerpts that I realised I wouldn't need to read them before guessing because I wouldn't be guessing this round.

Only just got around to reading them all. There are some real cool ones I wish I had written. You lot are a talented bunch.

Reactions: Sue77

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
You're enjoying this, arent you?
Why, of course! Organiser's perogative.

What gave it away? :roll:

Just be glad I'm a low energy-prankster because I did toy with the idea of changing every name in every excerpt to Maud just to mess with people. But it would have been too much work and keeping the original excerpts straight was already a handful, never mind adding a number of doctored ones in the mix.

Anyway, I had a Maud too in my story, but I picked another excerpt.

How many were there? I know there were some DNFs, but I'm just curious.
Everybody got in touch. Four people had to pull out.

One excerpt missed the Guessing thread by a day. I feel bad about that one but there was no way I could include it afterwards as guesses already came in and spread sheets obviously had already been made so it would have stood out and be very obvious to guess.

I received six full stories and after the announcement excerpts only for the rest. But half of the people who sent excerpts mentioned they were this close to finishing.

Which I think shows sisyphussers went above and beyond in this tough year. So I think we did well.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Which I think shows sisyphussers went above and beyond in this tough year. So I think we did well.
Very agreed!

Unwish was going to be finished early, until it suddenly wasn’t. It’s now had one revision pass and has a last line (very important!) if anyone’s interested. Around 4,700 words. It’s pretty much what the excerpt looks like — what could go wrong happens if an app grants wishes?

The Maud thing was (mostly) not intentional. :D That conversation came along right when I needed a character name, and then that excerpt was the best fit. But it was funny, once I made the connection!

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Well done to all those guessers and especially to Coddi. That was some mighty fine guess there, horsey.

My story, Celestial Salvage, Inc. is now completed (and drat armgrab for recognizing my dialogue style), so if anyone is interested in reading it, let me know. It's the Mary Celeste, in space. Also, there's a Maud in my story too. Thanks, eyeblink for the thread that binds a lot of the stories together this time. *G* It's always fun to have an element that a bunch of writers decide to include in their story.

And now, please excuse me, I'm getting out of the house and going shopping for the first time in at least 3 months.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Just be glad I'm a low energy-prankster because I did toy with the idea of changing every name in every excerpt to Maud just to mess with people. But it would have been too much work and keeping the original excerpts straight was already a handful, never mind adding a number of doctored ones in the mix.

Anyway, I had a Maud too in my story, but I picked another excerpt.
There isn't a Maud in my story (which is an unfinished 1500 words so far).

Of my own series in progress, I have two more Maud stories to write, and all the previous ones were written for Winter Sisyphuses. If the final collection gets published, due acknowledgement will be made to this forum and certain people on it.

Thanks to Friendly Frog for organising this summer's extravaganza.

Reactions: Friendly Frog

Featured Book