The 2021 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
Yo, let's do this. I just came off NaNo and I need a project to keep my mind focused while I wait for inevitable query rejections for my current MS to pour in.

What I write: Fantasy, science fiction; it's all the same to me, as long as it's weird. I tend to go for complex plots, detailed character studies, and lots of talking. I'm not great at writing romance, but most other genres are well within my comfort zone. No matter what I end up getting for a prompt, expect humor. Well, an attempt at humor, anyway.

What I'm looking for: An evil fairy godparent. Any of the other details are up to you, but it needs to be a story about a character who grants wishes who has some sort of dubious motive.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I'm liking the crosspolination of the two Sisyphuses. :Thumbs:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
tfw you start triangulating the prompts you think you're gonna get, knowing full well the Algorithm is both wiser and sneakier than you are. But moar people should sign up, keep me on my toes.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
You've already started writing, haven't you Kevin? How about waiting for the starter gun for a change? :D

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm liking the crosspolination of the two Sisyphuses. :Thumbs:

Time to get out the Punnett squares! With their power we can determine which Sisyphusers will be the strongest guessinators... *furiously does 10th grade science*

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
cvfq3xC.jpg

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

*Looks at two previous Sisyphus stories that need endings, all my other stories that need editing/finishing, long term project I should get back to, the stories I need to beta, 12 parallel Skyrim playthroughs, RDR2 which I started for some goddamn reason, the mowing I've been neglecting, the other housework, shopping for a wedding present, shopping for a wedding outfit, my taxes, learning to draw good, washing the car, making models of my characters in Blender, learning hieroglyphics, maintaining my sanity and sense of dry wit in a world increasingly at odds with the whole concept, trying to actually read for fun this year, and 40 working hours a week, and wondering if I can fit it into my schedule*

*who am I kidding? Sign me up.*

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
learning dead magical languages is probably something you want to save for a year that 'maintaining my sanity' isn't the next thing on your to-do list

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I mean yeah the ancient Egyptian we have is like 90% evocations of the dead, whereas the Mesopotamian language fragments that still exist are all the 2000s BC equivalent of Google reviews, but really, which language is more cursed?

I'll play! I WRITE fiction of a SF, fantasy, or SF/fantasy-driven horror bent, and what I write is rarely 100% serious in tone, but can get seriously dark if you want. Generally if it's dark it's also funny. I wouldn't even try to write erotica.

RECIEVE. In the spirit of us reaching the end of this crappy year, I would like something optimistic in tone, where competent characters work together to solve a problem. Please include a BASE jump, a fictional swear-word that is regarded as *cataclysmically* rude in your setting, and a leopard seal. Violence, (real-world) language and sex is optional but ok.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I mean yeah the ancient Egyptian we have is like 90% evocations of the dead, whereas the Mesopotamian language fragments that still exist are all the 2000s BC equivalent of Google reviews, but really, which language is more cursed?

Just saying, you're gonna be spending a lot of time listening to old Coptic recordings so that if you encounter Thoth in a dream you don't get the pronunciation wrong.

But I'm glad you're playing :)

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
You could write it in hieroglyphics and share the curse with all of us.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, there's only 7 days left to join the 2021 Sisyphus party, so let your writerly friends know! Once sign-ups close, those who aren't on The List will only be able to press their noses against the window and wish they were inside sipping adverb cocktails and grammerly hors d'oeuvres!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, I got my holiday projects done early (wanted them done by the time Expanse returns on December 16, and finished yesterday), so I think I might belly-flop into the pool.

Both Give/Recieve

What I Write: I write mostly fantasy, a little softer SF. Generally not great at romance or deep science.

Prompt: When you take a coin from the wishing fountain, beware of the wish attached to it... Some violence (not too gory/graphic) or sex okay if it serves the story; nothing gratuitous. And I'd prefer an ending that's not "rocks fall and everyone dies - even the puppy" (unless it's somehow deserved); I'm okay with earned/"just desserts" tragedy, just not downers for the sake of downers.

Dread Pirate Rabbits

I swear i'm not up to anything...
Registered
Reaction score
In a hat hoping I don’t get used for a magic trick
Hello my lovelies! Hope everyone is well and doing their best to stay healthy. For this year's Christmas sassyfest I would like to both give and receive.

Receive.

I would like a story based on the following prompt.

Your character wakes up in an old abandoned house with no memory of how they got there. The only other person in the house is the caretaker. For some reason you can't leave.

I'm kinda looking for a creepy spooky horror thriller vibe (or any combo of those). I'm totally fine with violence and blood, so feel free to go nuts if that's something you like. Or if you would prefer to keep it more psychological that's totally cool too. I would enjoy both the same. I love swords and cloaks just as a fyi.

There are two things I would like to forbid outright, though.

Thou shalt not hurt animals. Do whatever the hell you want to humans, but our furry friends shall be left in peace. I will even get sad if there's so much as a mouse in a mouse trap and it will take me days to recover.

Thou shalt not include bugs. I. Hate. Bugs. Seriously, I'm a grown ass adult that still needs to be rescued from spiders. It's pretty pathetic.
Besides that feel free to do whatever you like!

Give.

I write mostly sci-fi fantasy. Think Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones but less end of the worldy and more common every day. Most of my stuff is action adventure with some bloody bits thrown in. I'm totally cool with writing violence and the like. I also like throwing some humor into the mix at times but I've never tried outright comedy. I doubt it would go well. In theory I'm willing to try different topics but be warned over the results. They may vary (badly). I'm also not practiced in romance but like I said I am willing to try and reach out of my comfort zone.
I'm looking forward to writing whatever topic I get! I've already seen some really good ones.

Happy holidays to all! And if you don't celebrate the holidays I hope you have a perfectly average end of the month!

And by Rabbits!! If anyone outs me in the guessing thread again, heads will roll!!! :sword

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I almost wasn't going to sign up this year, but apparently here I am. So...

I'd like to both give and receive, please.

Receive: Pretend you're me* and write a weird setting with something giant and glowing (that probably shouldn't be giant or glowing).

*I wrote that for a joke and then was going to delete it and then thought, "actually, that's an interesting little bit of prompt" so it can stay. Enjoy!

Give: I write SFF with horror/gothic elements, bits of comedy, and the occasional giant glowing thing. Sometimes there's romance. In consideration of the times, I'll try to tone down the horror and boost the comedy and glowing, although based on past performances that probably means horror, comedy, and glowing will all be set to 11 for the duration.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! Three new sign-ups brings us to a hair under 20 participants with 6 days left to go with sign-ups!

Status
Not open for further replies.