The 2021 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I am likely going with a recycled prompt myself unless sudden inspiration strikes. The gifted stories have always been great, whether the prompt has been re-used or sparkly new.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I have never considered writing a prompt for myself or another, how does one go about that?

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I keep my prompt ideas in a designated file. Some of them are entirely inappropriate, others have merit. I added a couple more last week, but whether they're useable is another matter entirely. I guess it all depends on whether I think I could write to them, which is not at all the same as someone having it land in their in-box and causing hands to be thrown into the air with a sense of despair.

Either way, I reckon I'll be signing up. Hopefully unforeseen bad things won't happen.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I have never considered writing a prompt for myself or another, how does one go about that?

What I usually do is to imagine something that I'd like to write, and wondering how someone else might interpret the same idea. It helps to know that there's no actual pressure to write the thing myself, but getting too outside my comfort zone would seem, to me, unfair. But yeah, if I can see myself writing something I'd like to read, then that's always a thing to consider asking for - just be more general than specific, no one likes to feel boxed in!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
There’s no one way. As far as prompts for someone else/for Sisyphus, it could be just, what kind of thing do you feel like reading? Or what would be fun to see someone’s take on? I tend to use plot bunnies I run across IRL. (Eg one year I had an allergic reaction to a dental crown; I thought “allergic to a crown” sounded cool and turned it into a prompt. And got a very cool story from it.)

All of that works for self too, or there are a ton of idea-generating exercises and resources to try and see what resonates.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
My prompts are usually inspired by things like subversions of tropes, or perhaps a news story I saw that caught my notice, or a phrase I read somewhere. Some people throw random words or concepts together (the first short I got published was a prompt that asked for black holes, a specific kind of fish, and a lava lamp). Anything and everything could be a prompt. They can be as short as one word or long as a paragraph. A prompt is effectively a playground for the writer, so the more room you leave for playing, the better.

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
X meets Y is always an easy mad libs prompt. Cyberpunk noir meets vampire romance! Cinderella with dinosaurs!

Or you could do "what if X were a ninja?" What if The Grinch were a ninja? What if that dorm room janitor who tried to give me relationship advice in college was a ninja? What if Ted Lasso were a ninja? There, 5 prompts ready to use, and from somebody whose grip on sanity is only moderately tenuous!

(I just started watching Ted Lasso. I don't know if I love it at this point, but I would read the hell out of a "Ted Lasso ninja" story)

Reactions: kinokonoronin

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not good at creating prompts. Mine always look and read pants compared to others, yet somehow the person receiving my prompt always manages to create a great story I enjoy reading.

Both the Winter and Summer Sisyphus's are fun events with good company.

Reactions: J.A.Nielsen

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to drop my kiddo off at school this morning and run a quick errand, but will have the 2022 Sisyphus page up and running as soon as I get back.

Prepare ye the prompts for it's SISYPHUS TIME!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I've been having issues getting a new threat posted, which is the current hang-up for getting the 2022 Sisyphus going.

Stand by while I continue sobbing hysterically troubleshooting.

amo1143

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I've been having issues getting a new threat posted, which is the current hang-up for getting the 2022 Sisyphus going.

Stand by while I continue sobbing hysterically troubleshooting.
Maybe this is everyone's prompt. What lengths will he go to? The clock is ticking.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, be aware that there's a glitch in the system which prevents me from linking posts to the participant name. The admins are on it, but it's why there are three Rules posts instead of the normal one.

Technology.....

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Also, be aware that there's a glitch in the system which prevents me from linking posts to the participant name. The admins are on it, but it's why there are three Rules posts instead of the normal one.

Technology.....
I know nothing about this, and I'm pretty much the only one who can do anything about it.

Please message me via the Envelope icon on the top right. Please explain what you would like to be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.