The 2021 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I have been poking at writing, but not like I need to be. I have been slowly organizing my unfinished stories into "mostly polished", "needs work", and "burn, then shoot ashes into the sun".
I should do that. Problem is, I don't honestly know what's good, what's close to done, and what ought to be destroyed past the point where not even its faintest memory persists.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a bit becalmed right now as it's a bit hot by British standards and I'm distracted by the French Open tennis. Oh, and my day job. But writing has happened. Other than the two Sisyphus stories (only one of which will be on the guessing thread as the other one has been published now) I've done another one which has spawned a spin-off I need to write soon. I'll be up for the (Northern Hemisphere) SIsyphus too. Hope all are well, and Barbara says hi.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be up for the (Northern Hemisphere) SIsyphus too.
I would probably be down for a Summer/Austral Winter Sisphyus, though not entirely sure I have the fortitude to coordinate it while the new site's still in beta. If enough people are interested we could discuss ways to do it, I have suggestions on some ways we could make it easy on ourselves. For the moment I guess people who are interested could do a show of hands over in the 2020 thread, we'll go from there if we can get five or more participants.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hello, fellow Sisyphusers! I'm still getting used to being able to check the forums again, LOL. It's kinda nice that we get a little notification when a thread we're in is responded to. Now I don't have to worry about forgetting that I posted somewhere I don't usually post and such.

Life update: Since my last post in this thread in January, life got a little weird. In February, while the Sisyphus writing was still happening, mom broke her foot by slipping on ice and needed surgery to fix it. The surgery didn't go as planned because her RA made the bone squishy, but the surgeon still pulled it off. (Did you know bone putty was a thing? I didn't. It's made from crushed up cadaver bones and helps fill in gaps to give the living patient's bone a bridge for healing.) As dad has his own myriad health problems, I was the one doing all the stuff for mom and doing the stuff mom usually did. Had a mini meltdown at one point that month, and y'all don't want to know how close I came to writing Cobra to say I was dropping out of Sisyphus, but ended up deciding I didn't want to leave anyone in a lurch like that and ditched my original idea to write something shorter. I think I kinda lost the original idea behind my giftee's prompt around the halfway point, but was just trying to finish the thing at that point and was pantsing pretty hard. Hopefully it was still enjoyable and not too weird. :p If and when a guessing thread gets going, it's going to be interesting to see if I get guessed quickly or not.

Mom's all healed up now and has been since mid April, so things are back to normal, aside from an ear infection issue she's been having, but that's getting cleared up and doesn't require me to be a caretaker, so my writing and self editing is going along really well now. I even had time last month to alpha read for a friend on top of crit group reading.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not to get to business too quickly, but I wanted to check in with everyone and see if folks still had a hankering to conduct the Guessing Thread. Lisa and I got the "template" of it up and running while AW was under construction, but I haven't added the excerpts yet. If we're too far beyond the Sisyphus, then no worries. If y'all are still wanting to make with the guessing, I can populate that thread and get the fires burning.

But it's great to be back and here's to more story swapping goodness this summer and this December!

Missed you all.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Not to get to business too quickly, but I wanted to check in with everyone and see if folks still had a hankering to conduct the Guessing Thread. Lisa and I got the "template" of it up and running while AW was under construction, but I haven't added the excerpts yet. If we're too far beyond the Sisyphus, then no worries. If y'all are still wanting to make with the guessing, I can populate that thread and get the fires burning.

But it's great to be back and here's to more story swapping goodness this summer and this December!

Missed you all.
We missed you too, I imagine you've formed several new bands by now. I'm always up for guessing!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I missed seeing you here. I've been looking forward to the fun of the guessing thread AND I'm hankerin' for some short stories to read. just sayin'

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I’d be down for some guessing but get it if the window has passed, mainly I just want to check out all the stories and hype the ones I’ve already read.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good info, gang.

Here's why I propose: I'll e-mail the Sisyphusers to not only let them know that AW is operational once more, but also to let them know we're going to attempt the Guessing Thread. Worst case, if folks are in the mood for guessing, it'll allow a location where everyone can see the excerpts and potentially request reads from the authors.

Sounds like a plan?

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
WANT.

I mean, I'd love a guessing thread, if it's still doable. :snoopy:And it would be nice to see the this year's gang together again.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I would very much like for the Guessination to occur. Though I must admit that I plan to be a spectator and not a guesser.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Yes to the guessing thread from me, though I usually end up being a spectator rather than a participant.

And I am almost always among the first to be guessed. Sometimes the very first.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm up for a guessing thread. It'd take my mind off basically being stuck indoors because of cold weather (don't laugh at my definition of cold here - it's not me, it's my lungs that are the delicate little flowers *g*).

Reactions: Kjbartolotta
Status
Not open for further replies.