The 2019 Sequel Solstice Story Share: The Sequel!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for ruining my Parade of Stories guys. My only crime is loving you all too much.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for ruining my Parade of Stories guys. My only crime is loving you all too much.

Wait, now you're going to punish me by removing that nice review you wrote? Way to kick a horse when she's down! The Parade must go on!!!

(please! even if you are a bad, bad doggie. No, good dog. No, bad dog. Aw, bring it in for a hug, dogface)

Last edited:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one considered that all the stories with names pertaining to plants were all written by a certain flower. :3

Anyway, since all of mine have been guessinated, here they are: From a Seed, Fairie Godprogram, Eden, and Flora.

Did you notice I used your prompt in "Romancing the Flour"? ;)

Thanks for sharing your stories! I look forward to reading them.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, and now you're going to punish me by removing that nice review you wrote? Way to kick a horse when she's down! The Parade must go on!!!

It'll go back up soon. I just need one very bad dog to stop snickering at me from across the Pacific Ocean. Srsly, who does that? Who snickers at others guessers misfortune? Not this dog, I tell ya that much.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score

Who ruined the parade?

It'll go back up soon. I just need one very bad dog to stop snickering at me from across the Pacific Ocean. Srsly, who does that? Who snickers at others guessers misfortune? Not this dog, I tell ya that much.

Hand on heart, I am not snickering at Coddi's misfortune.

That's who you mean, right? ;)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
*peeks out head, makes sure all the stories are guessed for real*

:partyguy:THE PARADE OF STORIES!!!!:partyguy:

N267VjI.gif

Rusulka
by the very nice and forgiving Coddiwomple

Rusulka felt to me like something out of The Bloody Chamber. Dark and mythic, full of subconscious desires and boundaries being crossed. There's a naiveté to the storytelling that exists only to lull you into a sense of false security, and ignore the prickle you get at the back of your neck that something more is going on. Then, everything falls into place and it goes full-on splatterpunk.

If this story were a parade float, it would be the scene of a wooded tangle. In the center would be a pond, and in the pond, a girl. Staring up at you, with green skin and branches in her hair. You know that once you've seen her she'll haunt you forever.

Extra thanks to Norman for quoting my misdeed so helpfully, saved me some time after I panic-deleted the post.

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
*peeks out head, makes sure all the stories are guessed for real*

Extra thanks to Norman for quoting my misdeed so helpfully, saved me some time after I panic-deleted the post.

LOL, I PM'd Admin to remove your post when I missed you by seconds (you logged off right when I repped you to tell you what happened) but everyone had gone to bed on your half of the planet (hence that other sneaky Aussie seeing and seizing the opportunity for nefarious glory - Go Ajaye!). Man, I saw the panic and kinda felt bad. It wasn't until after you deleted the entire post that I realised that just getting rid of Coddi's name in the title would have fixed the problem completely. Meh, these things happen. :e2shrug:

And apologies if I kicked you too hard with some of the posts, but I couldn't damn well resist a free target.

Also, thanks for taking the time to write your reviews. They mean so much to us, and are awesomely entertaining. :Thumbs:

Emailing you the stories now.

ETA. Anyone else wanting to read any of my (or in one case: our :)) stories, email me if you've got my address (or alternatively Coddi for that one), or else rep (or PM) me / us with your contact details, and I / we will send it through. I'll also be putting in requests every few days because I want to read ALL of them. Thanks everyone, this has been so much fun! :crazy:

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I PM'd Admin to remove your post when I missed you by seconds (you logged off right whan I repped you to tell you what happened) but everyone had gone to bed on your half of the planet (hence that other sneaky Aussie seeing and seizing the opportunity for nefarious glory - Go Ajaye!). Man, I saw the panic and kinda felt bad. It wasn't until after you deleted the entire post that I realised that just getting rid of Coddi's name in the title would have fixed the problem completely. Meh, these things happen. :e2shrug:

And apologies if I kicked you too hard with some of the posts, but I couldn't damn well resist a free target.

Also, thanks for taking the time to write your reviews. They mean so much to us, and are awesomely entertaining. :Thumbs:

Emailing you the stories now.

It was all quite funny and I probably could have saved myself some grief by making sure that it was Rusulka and not Romance with a Flour that was guessed. Now that I've returned from the woods I can see it's all worked out for the best, as I've claimed both the titles of King AND Betrayer. This was bound to happen, because I have moon in Capricorn don't'cha know.

The parade of stories will continue. There are 27 stories and I want to make sure every one of them gets a review, so that everybody get some love for the hard work they put in. If there's a story that you've read that you particularly like *cough* ironchestsorshesarainbow *cough* feel free to add it. You don't even need a parade gif. Oh, yeah, but if you have any parade gifs feel free to send them to me, I'm about to run out pretty soon.

Last edited:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Not that I only know how to sing one note, but...

Happy birthday, Sian! :Cake:

So whose birthday is on the 24th? We're on a bit of a roll... :D

Happy Birthday, Sian!!

:Cake::partyguy::Cake::partyguy::Cake:

Happy Birthday Sian!

Wishing you a fun filled day with lots of cake

Happy birthday Sian! How many birthdays is that now?

And I'm done with PART ONE of THE EVER-LENGTHENING SHORT STORY. It's not quite as long as my Sisyphus piece, but when PART TWO is written, it's probably going to be longer. Dear God, what have I done??

*Give big thumbs up to people who wrote half-finished novellas*

*Goes back to drinking whiskey in the shower, sobbing over the novella I now have to finish*

Happy bday Sian!

Hey hey I'm back! Did anyone miss me? Huh? Huh? Didja?

Yes, I managed to lock myself out of AW for my birthday. NOT for the reasons bandied about by our resident purveyor of vile, unfounded rumors and mutant fleas. Remember, if the dog opens his mouth, that your first hint that he’s lying.

(Norm. So sorry to dash all your hopes. I will be here for the guessing. Prepare to be flattened by a treasure from Greek antiquity. My bronze hooves will make of you a squeaking puppy pancake.)

Happy Birthday, Sian! :PartySmil :Cake: :PartySmil

Can we make it four in a row? Someone? Anyone?

Hey guys! I'm still waiting on submissions from two people. I'll put up the guessing thread once I hear something from them.

Happy birthday Sian!!!

Incidentally...

Me%21%21%21.gif

There will be CAKE.

Shower whiskey? We know you're a fancy doggo, Kevin, no need to flaunt it. Also, if we all wrote half-finished novella cliff hangers...who's the original? My doppel senses are tingling...at least, I think that's what tingling. Anyone smell burnt toast?

Baha! I knew moving to the future would work! So worth it for the two times a year I get to participate in guessing threads.

Also I see we have a birthday train! Choochoo!:partyguy::partyguy: :partyguy::snoopy:Happy Birthday everyone! May your celebrations involve less screaming that the day we're commemorating!

Thank you for the bday wishes guys (I am now 28 years young) and all the bday wishes to Jay! :partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

This week has been hectic but it looks like you guys had fun in the meantime XD

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Well the guessing thread was fun.

I was the second from last to be guessed which I was chuffed about. A lot of talented people were selected as having written my story based on the quote I used. I tried to pick a section which gave very little away! :)

I'll be requesting stories when I've got a chance to collect myself. I'm back home from hospital but there is so much to do it's silly. It's raining and cold here which doesn't help.

If any of you wish to read Justica let me know.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Thank you for the bday wishes guys (I am now 28 years young) and all the bday wishes to Jay! :partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

This week has been hectic but it looks like you guys had fun in the meantime XD

Thank you!!

I'm quite amused by the stories you guys thought I wrote. OH MAN THEY'RE SO GOOD SERIOUSLY I ONLY WISH

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! Do we have another birthday??

Happy Birthday Jay!
Wishing you a fantabulous day.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, Jay! And thanks again for doing this. It's been a blast. :Hug2:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Jay! Eat all the cake. :partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Another birthday?!

Happy birthday, Jay!! Thanks so much for organising this, it was so much fun.

:PartySmil

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing can stop the

PARADE OF STORIES!!!

Dragonfly Dance
by Ajaye

fKtjy6M.gif

We all know that kids are smart and adults are stupid. There's some science about brain plasticity or something. Stories with a smart kid character able to reflect on the stupidity of adults are always entertaining, and if you can depict a child's POV in a realistic manner that's all the better. Dragonfly Dance does all of that, with a lot of small town weirdness and a delightful MC that's clever and strong-willed but still naive. When things get increasingly more bizarre, she rolls, and it all ends in a funnier outcome than I could have guessed at.

If this story were a parade float, it would be a UFO floating above a countryside town, dragonflies hovering all around it. There's a young girl in a gold-braided space uniform, flinty look in her eyes as she realizes the cosmos are hers.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's the Parade of Stories, but...

The Parade of Stories!

rJeXtRD.gif

The Decline of Populo-Corps by SarahSciTops

I think a few people guessed that I wrote this story, which is ridiculous, because I couldn't possible write something so brief, sharp and dryly hysterical. Definitely the kind of thing your would read in DSF, it's your typical story of a failed corporate research firm experimenting with a timid, quarrelsome, and totally unprofitable species of alien. BIG TWIST! It was us. I had to go back a reread this a few times, it's really amazing how slyly Sarah packs in the humor here.

If this story were a float, it would be a series of glass tubes and vivarium, hairless apes encased within them screaming and possibly mating. No one knows what to do with them, and everyone agrees they're a waste of money.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
J.A. did say earlier in the thread that they didn't want to forcibly share anyone's stories, but why not have a document/collection of links for folks who are comfortable with sharing? No pressure to join, gets a bunch of stories in one convenient collection, helps those of us too shy to ask for folks' stories.

On that note, anyone who does want to share, go ahead and hook me up. I hate imposing on people... :3

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you guys. :roll: I leave you guys alone for two days for packing and travelling and I miss the sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Happy birthday, Jay!

Well, it'll be a shame if we put so much effort into writing and then not have anyone (but Jay who has gotten so many birthday presents ;)) read them all. I'd be happy to participate into something that would allow people to read the stories of people who'd want to share them, but I haven't the foggiest how something like that is efficiently managed. (And like lilly I often chicken out before asking for a story because I don't want to bother theù, or get busy and forget and then don't dare anymore because it's so long ago.)

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Please don't be shy of asking me. I love people reading my stories. I want people to read my stories. If you ask, I'll be delighted as having readers is one of my reasons for writing. I may sit alone in my study writing, but I want to share the results.

I just hope those who read my efforts enjoy what I put on the page.

Albedo

Cultured vulture
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gunna get around to requesting all the stories. It's been a busy week for me and I'm still on Kevin's first, with a small but growing pile, but all the prompts were so good, I am trying to get my hands on as many as possible.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Please don't be shy of asking me. I love people reading my stories. I want people to read my stories. If you ask, I'll be delighted as having readers is one of my reasons for writing. I may sit alone in my study writing, but I want to share the results.

I just hope those who read my efforts enjoy what I put on the page.

+1 to this.

Lily and Froggy, you've mentioned in your posts above that you feel as though you'd be imposing if you asked to read, and weird if you waited too long. Personally, I get a buzz from people asking to read my work, and it quite makes my day if I get a request right out of the blue. So please don't feel as though you're imposing upon me, and I'm sure that the majority of writers here feel the same way.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
THE PARADE OF LILIES!!!

V8U8CG1.gif

Eden
byLilyWhite

It's impressive how much traction Lily's 'Romance with a Flower' prompt got. I wrote a story based on that prompt and have now read three others (and I'm not even a third through all of them). Also, at least Sarah, Lily, and I did something involving the specific detail of rose blossoms the size of human heads. Weird details we all glommed on to there.

There's a lot about Eden that gives it a unique voice, I'm not sure if the setting it standalone or part ofa larger world. But the basic story is something you see often in sci-fi, an exploration of the perils and fear that comes from communicating with the Other, as well as the temptation and ultimately the worth of it. I'm impressed thought at the fact that it isn't standard SF fare, you have weird and entertaining alien plant hybrids, magical girls (at least in passing), a day out at the museum, and (har har) budding romance.

If this story were a parade float it would be full of overgrown plant life, lush and colorful. There'd be some species you'd recognize and some you most certainly wouldn't,but they're all overwhelming and vivacious.

Flora by LilyWhite

As an old Millenial, there's no way I can mention 'Flora' without being reminded of Ferngully. Because Ferngully was awesome. This story started off with somethings you'd expect from Lily, a story that takes it's time to focus on characters and internal emotions, a lush setting and love for nature, and, well, winged girls. But it ended up being sad and kind of powerful for me, there's hope and triumph, but also pain and struggle in the face of evil.

If this story were a parade float it would be a tropical scene, buzzing with winged pixies and walking trees. But there'd be something melancholy there,and something worse, the signs of destruction moving in a the edges,cold and malevolent, ready to destroy everything.

From a Seed by LilyWhite

Ooh,this was my favorite of the three. There's plenty more blooming life and foliage, and great magical elements but I really enjoyed the heartfelt teen romance aspect of this story, not just the sweetness of it but the growing sense of loss and sacrifice that blooms (har har) from the story. Just beautiful

If this story were a parade float, it would depict a giant tree at the center of a city, sustaining all the people and their daily lives.But that's not really the point of the float, the point is the two girls on the park bench beneath it sharing their last tender moments.

ETA- For some reason a lot of words got jammed together when I cut-and-pasted this from my doc. Or I'm just a terriblr editor, but If thats true than its teh first time i'EV evar ntoiced it.

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. It looks like you all had fun.

I've not been around much on AW at all the last couple of years, though I've done the Northern-Hemisphere-Winter Solstice Swap every year for seven years now. I haven't taken part in the Summer (Northern Hemisphere) Swap though I did beta-read one person's stories last year and this. Hopefully I can take part next year, would like to, will have to see. For various reasons, fiction writing has been hit hard for me the last few years and if I hadn't done the Solstice Swaps all I would have completed last year and so far this year would have been one flash piece. That said, I have started something new in the last few days. I do also have a possible series in hand thanks to those last two Swap stories.

Hope everyone is well!

Elizabeth George's book Write Away