"Thanks so much for all your help!" Uhh, who are you again??

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
I really hate it when that happens.

Just had someone on the job reach out to me to "thank me for all your help" as he's leaving the company. I honestly couldn't remember who he was, or what I'd ever done to help him, or when that might have been. :p

To be clear, I've always worked remote for this place, so I'm certain I've never met him face-to-face. And fortunately, Slack had all our interactions saved, so at least I know he's not thanking the wrong person. But, I really still don't remember him! Or really even remember helping him, though unless someone else has been masquerading as me in Slack, I clearly did. Can't even blame COVID on this one...

Getting old sucks, but it beats the only alternative. :geek:

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
The saved interactions don't help you remember what you did for him?

Getting old does suck. Besides my body attacking itself and after adverse reactions to several classes of drugs I'm on a less than ideal option.

But my brain, that's doing weird things. I recognize people but can't remember their names. Awkward!

Things I can't remember will come to me after a considerable delay so it's like my brain isn't firing on all cylinders.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
The saved interactions don't help you remember what you did for him?
I only skimmed the Slack history, enough to see that I did actually do something for him. Some trouble-shooting on a project I was loaned to for a few months, and haven't been on for over a year. :Shrug:

Over my tenure in it, the software industry has gone in an attention-deficit direction, so I can't say I'm surprised that I forgot him. Projects come & go quickly, products come & go quickly, even companies come & go quickly -- it's unusual for me to work on the same thing for more than a year or two at a time. It doesn't really encourage me to try hard to remember details beyond what's useful for the next gig. :geek:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he had the same problem? He saw your name, reckoned you must/might have done something helpful, so he thanked you? Like buying 'farewell muffins' for the whole department, under other circumstances.
Also, in the fast-changing world of software, who knows, you may meet again, so he's hedging his bets?

Reactions: Introversion

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say it's likely that he might've been putting in a personal word with everyone he's worked with, especially since the message wasn't any further personalized. "Oh right, Introversion did that thing for our department way back when, well can't hurt to leave with a final thanks."

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he had the same problem? He saw your name, reckoned you must/might have done something helpful, so he thanked you? Like buying 'farewell muffins' for the whole department, under other circumstances.
Also, in the fast-changing world of software, who knows, you may meet again, so he's hedging his bets?

This kind of has my vote, but then again we never know the effect we have on folks. It's nice to think that there are people out there who appreciated something I said or did without me knowing it. It counteracts the people-pleasing "Oh, I bet people hate me and aren't telling me."

My workplace tends to attract a lot of people who are on their way to somewhere else, so it's a magical shifting sands on what role people are in whenever we interact. I remember one guy who changed jobs, so the second time we interacted we could talk about the stuff we couldn't talk about last time, and talked about all the stuff we couldn't talk about the first time. I just go with the flow, and what it is today, it is.

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Memory... I ran into a familiar lady in a store who obviously also recognized me. We stopped and had a pleasant exchange that gave me not a single clue as to who she was. I finally said, "I'm so sorry, but could you remind me where we met?" She gasped, "Oh, thank, goodness. I've been wondering that very thing." :D Getting old is lots more fun when other folks are getting old with you.

Featured Book