• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ten Speed Press / The Crown Publishing Group

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts or experiences with Ten Speed Press. They are focussed on spiritual writing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I looked up some of their other titles and some I already know -- one I even own. They look very legit and classy. I wasn't fully aware that they were the press issuing a book in which two of my poems appear. I will now commence calling myself (smugly) a 'published' poet ;)

Quiller

Registered
Reaction score
"What Color Is Your Parachute" is, IIRC, their claim to fame. Self-published since the original.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Also Mollie Katzen's hugely successful Moosewood Cookbook.

I have a friend who pitched a garden book with extensive photographs to them. There was a lot of enthusiastic interest in the project at first, and several meetings were held, but ultimately nothing ever came of it. However, it's not clear to me if it was Tenspeed who lacked the organization to get it off the ground or if my friend was reading more into the discussions than was actually there.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A lot of their work seems to be very highly illustrated and althogether pretty ;)

I like that in non-fcition--it's the short attention span, perhaps....

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Erm... yeah.

:::shakes head, baffled:::

Back to our regular programming now... I've sent a couple of submissions to Ten Speed/Tricycle. They've rejected me, but seem pretty professional and their response times aren't bad.

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
I have several illustrated spiritual books published originally in the UK. One of my publishers sells to Tenspeed. When I first brought one of my projects to the UK publisher I told them that the proposal was also going to Tenspeed (I had an in. A friend knew the owner of Tenspeed and was going to forward the proposal directly to him). The UK publisher panicked, not wanting one of their contacts to have it, so I pulled the proposal going to Tenspeed.

They are definitely legit, as my UK publisher doesn't work with US publishers that aren't able to make substantial orders. And I know from my friend that they have a great rep as well.

-- Joanna

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
They're legit and respected. They published "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart, which won two major cookbook awards. They also published Charlie Trotter's cookbooks.

And of course, they rejected one of my proposals. :D

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving