Teenage writers?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, you're not. I've lost count of the New Member threads in the last few months where I've welcomed teen writers.

Reactions: HeyImLex

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Teen writers don't tend to be as active on AW, either because they post sporadically, take breaks, or just wander away (or, in other cases, stop being teens). We usually have a few new ones a month. However, I can't tell you how many are still here. Most of the ones whom I liked as posters or thought were promising as writers haven't been around in forever. Then there are probably some so wise beyond their years I forget that they're still teens.

HeyImLex

Registered
Reaction score
Teen writers don't tend to be as active on AW, either because they post sporadically, take breaks, or just wander away (or, in other cases, stop being teens). We usually have a few new ones a month. However, I can't tell you how many are still here. Most of the ones whom I liked as posters or thought were promising as writers haven't been around in forever. Then there are probably some so wise beyond their years I forget that they're still teens.
Yeah so sadly I can't be on this great forum 24/7 because of school, which is probably the reason for most.
But also, knowing teens nowadays, the average attention-span is that of a goldfish xd.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the pleasures of long-term membership here is watching teen writers become better writers--and for the ones who stick around or stop in regularly, watching them become adults.

Hope you're able to stay even though life has its demands. It only starts with school!

Maryn, glad you're here

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
We used to have a ton of teens in the YA section. One started a thread “Teens Writing for Teens,” somewhat about writing, somewhat for just socializing. Eventually those teens aged out of the TWFT thread or moved away from AW. (The “Old people writing for Teens” thread is still active, but just barely.). Teens who may be on AW haven’t really spoken out as much as they did in the 00s & 10s.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah so sadly I can't be on this great forum 24/7 because of school, which is probably the reason for most.
But also, knowing teens nowadays, the average attention-span is that of a goldfish xd.

Well, it's not a matter of 24/7, it's more a matter of not going weeks or months without posting. There are some people who are very active for like a week then you don't really see them for a long time. Those writers tend to be more noticeable for their brief periods of activity which makes their absence more obvious. (Which, I should mention, isn't exclusive to teens. And, of course, they aren't to be confused with the people who hotshot 50 posts in their first week so they can post something to SYW (a practice that's widely discouraged) and then vanish after getting feedback.)

Activity has many connotations. If somebody posted once or twice per day over a long period of time, that's active. If somebody posts several times a week over the course of months, that's active, too. And while I wouldn't consider a few posts a month to be active, AW is still happy to have those posters -- just as AW is happy to have people who post a lot for a few weeks then take a few months' break. However, I believe people get as much out of a community as they put into it, so it's beneficial for somebody to be a bit more on the active side.

But even if somebody had all the time in the world, it'd be infeasible for them to post 24/7. After all, what time would that leave for writing? :p

(Or reading, for that matter.)

Reactions: Elenitsa

HeyImLex

Registered
Reaction score
Activity has many connotations.
Yep.
If somebody posted once or twice per day over a long period of time, that's active. If somebody posts several times a week over the course of months, that's active, too. And while I wouldn't consider a few posts a month to be active, AW is still happy to have those posters -- just as AW is happy to have people who post a lot for a few weeks then take a few months' break. However, I believe people get as much out of a community as they put into it, so it's beneficial for somebody to be a bit more on the active side.
I guess it's simply about consistency, regardless of whether that may be once a day or once a week.
But even if somebody had all the time in the world, it'd be infeasible for them to post 24/7. After all, what time would that leave for writing? :p
And studying for finals * rolls eyes in pre-university disgust *
(Or reading, for that matter.)
You guys read? (I'm joking, I'm joking)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We used to have a ton of teens in the YA section. One started a thread “Teens Writing for Teens,” somewhat about writing, somewhat for just socializing. Eventually those teens aged out of the TWFT thread or moved away from AW. (The “Old people writing for Teens” thread is still active, but just barely.). Teens who may be on AW haven’t really spoken out as much as they did in the 00s & 10s.
At least one of them got a rather nice book deal - with HarperCollins I think. (I know because I beta-read for him and I was SO EXCITED!)

I do hope he's still writing a lot.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a teenage writer any more but I was one once, a very long time ago. I'm now the parent of a teenager and an almost teenager.

Teenagers are a lot more intelligent and insightful than many people given them credit for. At least some are, of course teens are all individuals and just as varied as adults.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At least one of them got a rather nice book deal - with HarperCollins I think. (I know because I beta-read for him and I was SO EXCITED!)

When the YA section was really hopping in the lates 00s, several teens there were trade published. Some of those books even became movies

HeyImLex

Registered
Reaction score
Oh god that would be a dream come true- note; I have in fact actually had dreams of getting pubbed.
That's such a curious thing about writing. A really young, new guy oozing with talent will still have trouble - or outright find it impossible - to match the writing level of a guy with much less talent, but that's been writing for years on end. Doesn't matter how much talent you have or don't have, it just gets better with time.

Reactions: frimble3

DarkWriter223

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a teen writer (16) and in fact I always hated my writing even though back then I was a panster instead of a plotter. I didn't know about plotting nor did I have the slightest idea that writing was about outlining more than seat-off-your pants work.

Magsie

Registered
Reaction score
I think we all used to be teen writers! We can certainly relate.

I miss the wild abandon with which I wrote before self-doubt took root. Ah, the teenage years of complete recklessness...

books_are_amazing

Registered
Reaction score
Also a teen. Yeah my pea brain is really not great at commitment and discipline, but you know I have a test on Wednesday so I can worry about my character flaws later.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also a teen. Yeah my pea brain is really not great at commitment and discipline, but you know I have a test on Wednesday so I can worry about my character flaws later.
Or not at all, if that works for you.

mlschrader

Registered
Reaction score
I was never a teen writer on here (I undervalued my potential too much to seek a serious community of writers), but the amount I posted on FanFiction.com as a teen is impressive if I do say so myself. The categories I posted in were never as populated as the forums on here, but I still managed to meet some really awesome people through there.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And you will here, too, I bet.

Mr. Maryn insists I don't really know the people I interact with here most days, many over a period of years. He's wrong, but I love him anyway. I've met about a dozen AW people in real life and only one was kind of a surprise, nothing bad but not what I expected. There are quite a few I'd open my home to if they were passing through.

Maryn, not really following you around even though it looks like it

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oh god that would be a dream come true- note; I have in fact actually had dreams of getting pubbed.

That's such a curious thing about writing. A really young, new guy oozing with talent will still have trouble - or outright find it impossible - to match the writing level of a guy with much less talent, but that's been writing for years on end. Doesn't matter how much talent you have or don't have, it just gets better with time.
'Practice makes perfect' and 'learning never ends' are two basic principles for any discipline.