Switching to Sweet Romance from not

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling to write in a more romanticized and cute lingo of sweet romance from writing erotic romance. I'm autistic so I can learn the format and style. I'm reading sweet romances to pick up the style, but I feel that my writing is still more hard edged, less soft. Any advice or where to look to learn the sweeter style?

Not writing this is not an option. I have all kinds of stuff lined up for it.
Thank you.

Unimportant

But you can call me Fran, if you prefer. Or birdie
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm struggling to write in a more romanticized and cute lingo of sweet romance from writing erotic romance. I'm autistic so I can learn the format and style. I'm reading sweet romances to pick up the style, but I feel that my writing is still more hard edged, less soft. Any advice or where to look to learn the sweeter style?

Not writing this is not an option. I have all kinds of stuff lined up for it.
Thank you.
IMO: read it. Read lots of it. There's no substituting for reading widely in the genre to understand reader/publisher expectations.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading sweet romances to pick up the style, but I feel that my writing is still more hard edged, less soft. Any advice or where to look to learn the sweeter style?
Perhaps take a closer look at your main characters. Do they have a naturally sweet disposition? Are they drawn by the sweet and the cute? Do they yearn for a quieter, sunnier side of life? What do they want from a romantic relationship? Not all personalities are suited for a sweet romance.

Ask your characters what they want, maybe interview them, and see what their outlook on life and romance is.

Good luck!

:troll

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Tedi.S

Don't forget that 'sweet' doesn't automatically mean that it has to be saccharine and feature characters that resemble fluffy, sparkly dream-bots.

Although the lead characters and their romantic interaction should invoke plenty of warm fuzzies in the reader rather than a heightened pulse and, uh, things like that, they shouldn't be Milquetoasts but still carry all the typical attributes that real people do - some are outgoing, some are sarcastic to cover for insecurities, some are just plain sexeh even in paint-stained jeans and an old flannel shirt... and on and on.

They can even still end up between the sheets (or wherever), but in easy-going romances, it's the romantic journey to that point that's the most important.

Norsebard

Shadow Beam

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
My two cents. I agree with Norsebard. I've written sweet romance and the characters and writing don't have to be soft. They can be funny, sassy and snappy. The characters can have all kinds of faults. My understanding is that the term "sweet" simply refers to how much sex is described in detail on the page, and if you use a lot of curse words or not. I would suggest focusing on the emotional connection between the characters and build the tension. Design some built-in intrinsic conflict. Essentially, you want the reader to feel that if these two people don't get together, something is wrong with the universe. Then, when they finally connect physically, fade the scene out gracefully, rather than describing all the logistics and body parts.
Hope this helps,
Shadow

Reactions: Elenitsa and SWest

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. My dream is to publish this with a company that really likes the syrup LOL if it fails to be accepted the other publishers I'm looking at have no issue with a little less sugar.

Tocotin thank you. my character needs an cute overhaul. <3​

• Love
Reactions: Tocotin