Stupid Deadline Question

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if asking the obvious here but I did actually have a mix-up back in college based on my confusion about what "next" Wednesday meant! When a submission deadline has no time attached (like 5pm, 11:59 pm, e.g.), but just says, e.g., "Feb. 2," are we to assume that any time on Feb. 2 is ok or does it ever mean it is the "expiration date" and you will be rejected if you submit on Feb. 2?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It probably depends on the entity setting the deadline.

If you're worried about whether "by February 2" means that on February 2 is just fine, why not get everything ready and submit February 1st? That's the easiest work-around.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume that you’re good to submit on February 2nd. But unless stated otherwise, I might cut my deadline off at “close of business” time (5pm) just to be safe, & that might depend on where the publisher/agency/company is based.

You also could ask them for clarity.

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
It probably depends on the entity setting the deadline.

If you're worried about whether "by February 2" means that on February 2 is just fine, why not get everything ready and submit February 1st? That's the easiest work-around.
I agree with that. I always aim for a few days before the actual deadline. Problem with this one was, I just found out about it recently when looking up journals and their close off for the year is about in a week--so Id like to make it. My submission is of something that was definitive but merely still in the "idea" stage. But it seems do-able since it must be relatively short. When I think of my available time and other circumstances, I may need the last day in this case (the submission day) to do at least the actual submitting. It wasn't a question of postponing it, just of finding out about it with not much time to spare.

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
I would assume that you’re good to submit on February 2nd. But unless stated otherwise, I might cut my deadline off at “close of business” time (5pm) just to be safe, & that might depend on where the publisher/agency/company is based.

You also could ask them for clarity.
It would be a Submittable submission--if that helps.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It would be a Submittable submission--if that helps.
As you can see from Submittable’s own listings, the deadline listed is the last date on which submissions are accepted, although specific times do vary, and are probably entered when the listing is created.

I can’t understand why you are fretting about this. As @Maryn says, if you’re worried about it, aim to submit a calendar day or two ahead of the deadline and it is no longer an issue. If you don’t think you can get your piece ready in the time you’ve got, then don’t submit — or for heaven’s sake ask the journal, not internet randos whose guess is as good as yours.

(I couldn’t possibly take a piece from idea to publishable completion in a week, but I’m a slower writer than most. Anyway what’s the harm in writing the thing, if you’re ready to write it, whether you submit it to this particular call or not?)

:e2coffee:

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
As you can see from Submittable’s own listings, the deadline listed is the last date on which submissions are accepted, although specific times do vary, and are probably entered when the listing is created.

I can’t understand why you are fretting about this. As @Maryn says, if you’re worried about it, aim to submit a calendar day or two ahead of the deadline and it is no longer an issue. If you don’t think you can get your piece ready in the time you’ve got, then don’t submit — or for heaven’s sake ask the journal, not internet randos whose guess is as good as yours.

(I couldn’t possibly take a piece from idea to publishable completion in a week, but I’m a slower writer than most. Anyway what’s the harm in writing the thing, if you’re ready to write it, whether you submit it to this particular call or not?)

:e2coffee:
Thanks for your reply. I asked in case anyone just had more immediate knowledge on this and asking the journal doesn't always yield a reply. As for the time, it is because I do need every available day and not every day is feasible here--especially weekends. Since I already had this "idea" for a future short article, this site is a possibility and closes off completely for the year after this week, I am trying. As for writing it anyway, the slant/mode of writing can differ with NF articles based on the type of journal.

Thank you so much for taking a moment to read/respond. I'm going to give it a try! Good luck to you also!

fountain923

Registered
Reaction score
The journal sets the cut-off time not Submittable, so without knowing the journal we couldn't give a definitive answer anyway.
Thanks, Helix. Of course. I just was wondering if "Feb. 2" ever meant "no more accepted on Feb. 2." Just a neurotic question because I don't tend to be submitting on the deadline day so it's never an issue--I deem that too dangerous. In this case, though, I thought it might be unavoidable, needing the few days there were till then.

Their SBM page does give an 11:59 time stamp (now I have to verify the time zone) I found finally.

Thanks so much for listening and offering your help!