• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

Spencer Hill Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Run. Run like the wind.

Am I misreading this, or are you truly advising amandalance22 not to pursue the Spencer Hill connection? I'm curious since your sig contains several Spencer Hill publications....

Becca C.

Totes Legit Author
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow. They were on my sub list. I'm glad I didn't end up with them.

Whatever is going on, I'm so sorry, Dahlia and Angelica :( I hope you come out of it okay.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Yeah, it sounds like some seriously not good things are happening here. I don't know anything first hand, just heard a few things in passing, but if you are considering submitting/signing with this publisher I HIGHLY suggest contacting some of their authors privately to get to the bottom of what is happening here... at least until things get cleared up (which may or may not happen)

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Just to update: I sent a partial this morning since their website mentioned they are currently open to submissions until 12/10, and I received this email reply:

Due to unforeseen changes in management, SHP will no longer be accepting submissions. I apologize and can't tell you anything further as to how submissions will work in the future. This email will go silent after everyone waiting for replies has been notified.

I'm mad at myself that I didn't check this thread first. :(

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
That response does not surprise me, although I am shocked that you got a response at all. Many of us are currently fighting to get our rights back after shabby treatment, and have been unable to get any answers. I am not certain what the future of Spencer Hill Press is at this point.

Last edited:

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
That response does not surprise me, although I am shocked that you got a response at all. Many of us are currently fighting to get our rights back after shabby treatment, and have been unable to get any answers. I am not certain what the future of Spencer Hill Press is at this point.

Wow. So sorry to hear that, Angelica. I wish you and your fellow SHP authors all the best in getting your rights back!

madjack

Registered
Reaction score
Now this is playing out on twitter too if you look at their feed. Authors seem very unhappy, which is sad. I thought they were a really great publisher at one time.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, this pub had SO MUCH potential, and a great roster of talented authors. They were really well-regarded for a while. So frustrating to see them waste all of that.

I hope the authors get their rights back swiftly and are able to put this behind them.

JocelynNora

JocelynNora
Registered
Reaction score
Has there been any more news on what the heck is going on with Spencer Hill Press from the authors that were struggling to get their rights back? A couple years ago, SHP expressed interest in my first MS, which led to nothing, but I went ahead and sent them my second book during the most recent submission period and got the same weird email as everyone else. Then I came here and got a glimpse of the issues, but this thread and some discussion on twitter are all the evidence there is out there of anything going on. Obviously, this is a press to avoid for the foreseeable future, but I would still like to understand what is happening. There seems to be a cautionary tale for me in here somewhere.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
An update from me: I am currently raising funds to hire an attorney to help me get my rights back, as I've still not gotten a resolution from SHP (and neither have many others). There has been some progress on a few fronts, but at this point they have not honored the terms of my contract and I will not be moving forward with them on my series.

Not sure if that clears things up any more, but it's all I'm willing to say on a public forum ;)

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, I now have signed an agreement with SHP to get my rights back (hooray, to have all aspects under my control again), and that process should be happening over the next few weeks. But, of course, it also included a confidentiality clause so I can't give any details.

Definitely talk to their current authors about their experiences, if you sub and get an offer.

ETA: Problems that authors were having a year ago are still ongoing, so keep that in mind

Last edited:

elizabethp

Registered
Reaction score
Are things any better? Subbed without knowing there had been issues.

writerslife

Registered
Reaction score
I can add that royalty reports have been awful. They are claiming all these "adjustments" and returns, and somehow I owe money on a book that earned out its advance very early on. I'm completely fed up. According to these reports, I'll never see any money from my books. I've stopped promoting them all together, and I'm waiting out my contracts because I can't afford to pay production costs and buy back stock on all five of my titles with them, which is what the company is making authors do to get out of their contracts. My advice is not to get involved with this publisher. I was so happy with them until they were bought out. Now I wish I could leave.

CristinaRoswell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cristinaroswell.net
Submitted to them via Submittable on Wednesday (25 Jan) before I read this thread. Went from 'received' to 'In progress' the next day. Now waiting.
As I said I hadn't read this thread before submitting so really hope they have improved since everything that happened. They seem pretty active on Twitter (although I know that doesn't mean anything).
Thanks for the warnings everybody :)

CristinaRoswell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cristinaroswell.net
I usually do, the problem here was that I had known about Spencer Hill for some time, knew they had published some good famous authors and didn't think for a second there would be any issues with them. In fact, the only reason I checked here was to see if anybody had posted about how long it takes them to answer.
But from now on I will always check no matter what, just in case. Lesson learned :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's hard, I know. I had a lot good friends caught in the meltdowns of Musa and Ellora's Cave. I watched another great publishing house spiral down dramatically over the last few years, and I'm selfishly glad I got out from under them. AllRomance Ebooks caught many of us by complete surprise, because we didn't know it was a Ponzi Scheme.

This business changes on a dime, so never go by what a publisher or agent was like a few years ago. Check them out *now*, before you query. It saves you the embarrassment and second-guessing of having to politely refuse an offer, if one comes.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard, I know. I had a lot good friends caught in the meltdowns of Musa and Ellora's Cave. I watched another great publishing house spiral down dramatically over the last few years, and I'm selfishly glad I got out from under them. AllRomance Ebooks caught many of us by complete surprise, because we didn't know it was a Ponzi Scheme.

This business changes on a dime, so never go by what a publisher or agent was like a few years ago. Check them out *now*, before you query. It saves you the embarrassment and second-guessing of having to politely refuse an offer, if one comes.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Research never ends. Publishers can't rest on past achievements and authors can't assume because a publisher was once good, that will always be the case. And while I haven't really seen it happen, I suppose a publisher that didn't start out with a great reputation can always turn it around and become someplace worth submitting to.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of any publishers which started off poor and became better. There have been lots which have started off OK and ended up poor, though.