SPECULATIVE FICTION CRITIQUE GROUP (SANTA MONICA)

Hieronymous

An Awakening Wizard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marcroyston.wordpress.com
SPECULATIVE FICTION CRITIQUE GROUP accepting new members in Santa Monica, California. Seasoned writers only. Membership is limited to five (5) writers of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror. Meetings take place weekly and in-person (day and time to be determined). Members will submit 10-15 pages of material each week for critique and will read and critique all other submissions. Writers are not allowed to respond to critiques other than to answer direct questions. Thick skins required. Participation is mandatory. To apply, please submit your first sample via direct message. #PleaseShare #SpeculativeFiction #WritersGroup

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Have you run these before? I'm worried about you capping at five.

There's a lot of drop off over time, sometimes within a matter of weeks, sometimes over months/years ... You might consider connecting with the LAWriters on Meetup (they meet in Silver lake, have a lot of experienced members, and are a big group) and see if some/any of their regulars are looking for something more intense and focused.

Good luck! I'm certain you will get interest, but if this is a first-shot effort, then being forewarned is forearmed and all that. The local group we had, pre-covid, routinely saw 90% of new, interested writers attend only a single meeting. And I promise we were nice and gave good critique. It's a subjective business.

ETA: You might also check out the LA festival of Books on Saturday. Lots of booths. Lots of writers. I am certain you'd connect with a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinokonoronin