• U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

so, I have a question.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Filipino was a culture I was thinking of for the OP, AAMOF. Have you ever read Filipino forums? I was looking for a beauty product review and could read enough to carry on reading: Cebuano, English English, Spanish, English, Cebuano, lol. All in the same post. It was awesome!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In South Africa, we have 11 (eleven) official languages. I don't think that there is a single one of us who doesn't use some words from one of the other ten. Many of those words have become so common that it's sometimes difficult to figure out which language they originated from.

Languages such as Afrikaans and Zulu are so idoematic (almost poetic in their pure form) that many of their words and phrases have been adopted into everyday (English) speech here. Tourists visiting our shores could not be blamed for getting a bit confused.

Some Afrikaans words have even been adopted internationally. E.g. 'Trek' and 'stoep' - or 'stoop' meaning portch or deck.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away