So excited to be here!

LisaH46

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Lisa, and I'm so thrilled to be here. I love to write but have never done so professionally. I always knew I wanted to write a book (a memoir), and I thought it would be about our experiences in my husband's first year of medical school. But twenty years later, the universe has prompted me to write a memoir about the last year of my life. There were lots of changes in our family and for me personally, and the book is just flowing in an amazing way. I'm more than halfway done, and I'm excited to have found this forum to have a community of writers to get to know and converse with. I appreciate all the moderators who make this forum possible! I'm looking forward to sharing my work (eventually) and reading others' work.
My favorite genre to read and write is narrative nonfiction. I love essays and memoirs, and I also love books like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or The End of Night, where they take an historical situation and make it into a highly readable narrative. I am interested in science, psychology, and philosophy.
I can't wait to get to know all of you!

Reactions: MacAllister and Izz

LisaH46

Registered
Reaction score
Usernames I considered using (I spent a lot of time thinking these up and want to post them somewhere haha)

Upholderhere (referring to Gretchen Rubin's four tendencies)

OuterOrderInnerCalm (another nod to Gretchen Rubin and a good description of my life)

OchemisLife (I love chemistry, and I tutor college organic chemistry. I don't work in the industry though)

Stillinlove (kind of cheesey, but after 25 years of marriage, I'm still in love with my hubby)

In the end, I just went with the boring LisaH46 :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, sometimes "boring" is just fine. It's like, hm, I have to make something for dinner, and the same old boring thing we eat every ten days or so is perfectly acceptable and even enjoyed--as I hope your time here will be.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Reactions: LisaH46

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Usernames I considered using (I spent a lot of time thinking these up and want to post them somewhere haha)

Yeah, picking a username is always the hardest part of joining any forum (or, well, doing anything that involves picking a name... except maybe a character name in a novel, although I always regard those as placeholders) for me. If I'd settled on a pen name, I would have just used that (because it'd be the most practical thing) but I'm still on the fence there.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Lisa! It's great you're here (and your username is just fine :)).

You're going to love it here, I'm sure. AW is the internet's premier writing place, in my opinion. Everything you need to improve your writing skillset, lots of info on the business side of things, and a vibrant, eclectic community to engage with. The forums are vast, so can be overwhelming at first, but if you take your time getting to know the place you'll feel at home in no time flat.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand the forum rules, as well as the etiquette and culture of the various spaces within.

You might find our Nonfiction subforum a nice place to begin exploring from, as well as our Bio, Autobio, and Memoir space. Of course, there's lot more to enjoy, so explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Imaginaryist

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Lisa, and I'm so thrilled to be here. I love to write but have never done so professionally. I always knew I wanted to write a book (a memoir), and I thought it would be about our experiences in my husband's first year of medical school. But twenty years later, the universe has prompted me to write a memoir about the last year of my life. There were lots of changes in our family and for me personally, and the book is just flowing in an amazing way. I'm more than halfway done, and I'm excited to have found this forum to have a community of writers to get to know and converse with. I appreciate all the moderators who make this forum possible! I'm looking forward to sharing my work (eventually) and reading others' work.
My favorite genre to read and write is narrative nonfiction. I love essays and memoirs, and I also love books like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or The End of Night, where they take an historical situation and make it into a highly readable narrative. I am interested in science, psychology, and philosophy.
I can't wait to get to know all of you!
Wow! Pleasure to meet you and now I see why I didn't get nearly so many responses when I did my introduction. I gave the about 3 or 4 sentences of my humble existence. Guess I should have said more. My bad I guess. Lol. Best of luck and have tons of fun, or atleast as much as you can stand. šŸ˜

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
now I see why I didn't get nearly so many responses when I did my introduction. I gave the about 3 or 4 sentences of my humble existence. Guess I should have said more. My bad I guess.

I thought you got more? idk, it can be random. There are some people who go into a lot of detail who don't get a ton of responses, and others that are short that do. The sheer number of variables aren't worth trying to figure out, particularly since an introductory post only matters for so much. There are some people who post here for a while then do an introduction, and others not at all.

As long an introduction covers what somebody reads, writes, and where are they are in their journey, that's the big stuff. That can be done in 3 sentences or 3 paragraphs.

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Lisa, and welcome, Imaginaryist, and welcome anyone else I may've missed.

Reception committees are informal and subject to change.

PS I was curious, so went back and checked: my intro post consisted of two lines, and included a reference to werewolf mice.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, LisaH46! That's way easier to spell than some of your other choices :)

You'll find lots of friendly readers and writers here, and I'm sure we'll all like you -- even if you are a chemist. (ack ew spit bleh!!!)

[I married a chemist so I'd never have to learn the stuff myself]

Imaginaryist

Registered
Reaction score
I thought you got more? idk, it can be random. There are some people who go into a lot of detail who don't get a ton of responses, and others that are short that do. The sheer number of variables aren't worth trying to figure out, particularly since an introductory post only matters for so much. There are some people who post here for a while then do an introduction, and others not at all.

As long an introduction covers what somebody reads, writes, and where are they are in their journey, that's the big stuff. That can be done in 3 sentences or 3 paragraphs.
You are far to kind, I think most of it was I just kept them talking lol

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Donā€™t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other membersā€™ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Hereā€™s how to Promote With Aplomb.