• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

Silver Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
That spam e-mail is a little worrying. Anyone sold anything with them? Do they pay out as well as these e-mails are implying?

para

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that perhaps they don't make that many sales. They're targeting published authors with a following to get folks to visit their website, thinking that if readers buy one book by X author they'll look around and buy other authors. I don't know that ebook readers will necessarily do that any more - or enough of them. A lot of folks have been burned by poor quality books.

I remember that Carol Lynne was one of the authors on their website when I first looked. She still only has one short story there which given how prolific she is speaks for itself. The short story is also available from a different seller which is the one linked to on her website.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I can maybe see why they're so desperate for submissions. According to their release schedule at the bottom of the page they release a book every day. That's a huge volume of titles to bring out. When did they open? I can't remember but didn't they just open this year? They are already 'celebrating their 100th release' this January.

KariGregg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.KariGregg.com
...They're targeting published authors with a following to get folks to visit their website...

I don't think they're "targeting" at all. The email claims to want m/m submissions...But the email was sent, apparently, to any writer with a verifiable pulse. Okay, yes, I'm exaggerating, but I'm aggravated. Which is sad because I do write m/m and I'm not opposed to submitting to other publishers, either. I just won't be subbing to this one because the spammy insincere flattery pissed me off. I already have 2 wonderful publishers who have a genuine interest in me and my work. Why on earth would I send in something to a publisher that demonstrably has so little interest that they can't (or won't) differentiate between m/f and m/m writers? Epic fail. Huge.

scarletpeaches

Banned
Reaction score
Bah. I didn't receive a spam email. Does that mean my writing really sucks? And I write M/M, too! Okay, so it's not published yet, but give it a fortnight...

*awaits spam*

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...well, I have a Christmas story out with them right now and as far as I know, which I certainly could be wrong, the story every day was for their 25 days of Christmas.

I didn't receive the email, obviously since I already have a book out with them, and don't really know anything about it, but I can say from what I have seen their sales are not terrible. I do write m/m and am not a newbie (and make quite a bit from my sales at all my other publishers) and the reason I went there was because I happen to have Christmas story idea that fit, but their stories, at least m/m, are consistently top sellers at All Romance Ebooks and Amazon for those genres.

I haven't gotten any royalties yet and don't think I will probably submit anything else there, mostly because I'm happy where I am for other publishers.

I do agree the email spams are rather bizarre.

scarletpeaches

Banned
Reaction score
I see from their website they're only after M/M just now anyway, and not everything I write is M/M. In fact I'm overwhelmingly heterosexual, if that doesn't sound weird. :ROFL:

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Hmm...well, I have a Christmas story out with them right now and as far as I know, which I certainly could be wrong, the story every day was for their 25 days of Christmas.

That's still a huge commitment to make and forces them to 'feed the release beast' at a rate most long established publishers wouldn't try and tackle, much less a one that's been open less than a year.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
That's still a huge commitment to make and forces them to 'feed the release beast' at a rate most long established publishers wouldn't try and tackle, much less a one that's been open less than a year.

Certainly but they aren't the only Epub that publishes M/M doing it. Dreamspinner Press does a Christmas story every day kinda thing every year, including, I believe, the first year they were in business.

Whatever the case, I do know they go through several rounds of editing there and their sales from what I know have been decent for a new publisher.

Last edited:

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Certainly but they aren't the only Epub that publishes M/M doing it. Dreamspinner Press does a Christmas story every day kinda thing every year, including, I believe, the first year they were in business.

Dreamspinner only publishes m/m, they are not a multi-pairing publisher like Silver. Also, I wasn't commenting on Dreamspinner, I was commenting on Silver. And what Dreamspinner does is an Advent Calender where ALL the stories are available as s single download for a larger sum of money than would be paid for a typical anthology. The idea there is to read them one per day until Christmas day, but all the books come out together. They are also made available individually for those readers who can't afford or don't want the entire set.

Example: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/index.php?cPath=62_359

FYI: As an aside, at Dreamspinner you can easily see how many ebooks have sold by clicking on the book's buy link to any of their available formats. It shows the number of sales sold per format, for those of you who didn't know that. (I found this out by accident when I was looking their site over.)

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Michael, I am well aware of which publisher you were commenting on. Thanks.

I have actually had experience with both pubishers as well as others so I was merely using them as an example of others who have released many books in a single month. I am not disputing that 100 books in a short period is unusual.

As for going exclusively M/M, I think they are planning on opening to M/F again at some point in 2011, and my knowledge of that is only related to what I have seen on their author loop as I have no real connection with them other than to have a very short story out that just released in December.

madmumbler

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tymberdalton.com
I am not personally involved in any way with Siver Publishing, but I'm posting because this morning I've had yet another person approach me (and these are people whom I feel are trustworthy) for info/asking if I've heard scuttlebutt about them and relating troubling issues they are having with Silver. Late or no payment for books they know were sold (going back months) as well as late/no payment for editing services.

I'm hoping by posting this, we'll either get an official response addressing (and/or correcting) these issues, or at the very least if there are flames behind the smoke, others will feel more comfortable coming forward reporting their issues.

If it'd only been one person, I never would have mentioned this. But I've had enough people asking me now I feel it really should be brought up here so anyone timid about speaking out can feel more comfortable doing so.

silverpublishing

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.silverpublishing.info
Madmumbler, just to address the points you've mentioned.

Distribution sales are only paid when we receive them. I'm assuming the authors that might have contacted you would most probably be referring to distribution sales for places like Amazon, who pay 60 to 90 days AFTER the end of the month of the sale. Thus they are only paid over when we receive payment for them. Some distributors pay 45 days after the end of the quarter, which would mean the payment falls into the following quarter and sales will only reflect in the following quarter.

If these authors are missing book sales, they should be able to monitor it via their author log in which all our authors have access to and contact us if they see that there might be a problem so it can be sorted out immediately.

In the past 6 to 8 months we've experienced extreme growth and due to this we've had to make internal changes to our admin department as well as the normal hiccups that occur which in turn has delayed payment up to 10 days the past two quarters. We've overcome these hurdles and the changes made in the process rectifies this issue.

As you've said, you're not affiliated with Silver Publishing so you wouldn't be aware that any issues or concerns are discussed in our private author forum which all authors have access to thereby keeping them up to date on what's happening, when and where. Our authors are always welcome to post about concerns or ask questions. Even directly to the publisher.

At no point in time has any of our authors or editors never been paid royalties unless there was nothing to pay over. If an editor or an author has not been paid for something there is obviously a problem somewhere in the system that needs to be brought to our attention. Again, an email directly to the publisher would sort this out ASAP.

Silver Publishing isn't, nor have we ever been, in any financial problems. From my point of view, what most do not take into consideration is the fact that most publisher have a 400% growth in a period of 3 to 5 years. We've achieved that in 6 to 8 months. This has caused quite a bit of hiccups in the general process but it has all been things that have been sorted out. It is completed expected that hiccups can occur.

Feel free to have the people that have contacted you, to email the publisher and address their issues so that any problems and concerns can be sorted out. Without these concerns being voiced to the publisher, they cannot be rectified in a timely fashion.

Last edited:

madmumbler

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tymberdalton.com
Thank you for the quick response and information. I have already passed this forum link on to everyone who's contacted me for their reference.

As I said, normally, I wouldn't have posted something like this, but I've had no less than six different people approach me. (And yes, I did tell them they should email the house directly about their concerns.)

Glad to hear you are responsive to concerns and on top of things.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I am with Silver and, so far in my experience anyway, they've been extremely responsive to any questions or issues I've had.

I'm teamed with a top-notch editor and am pleased to know that, should I submit other stories to them, she and I will be teamed up once more.

My book doesn't come out until November, which means no royalties will be paid out until sometime in April--I think that's right--so I can't address any royalties payment issues.

I can say the scuttlebutt is that Fictionwise is running very late with payouts according to several other publishers I speak with. Amazon is hit or miss on whether payments are late or not. Whether those payments match up with their online sales tool is also a crapshoot, in part, due to their 'return policy' on ebooks. They are late for some publishers, not for others. ARe, as always, remains on the ball with their payments at net 45 days--or less.

Last edited: