Short Fiction (4,000 to 7,000 words) $100 Evil Girlfriend Media Speculate!!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
New fiction market opening Feb. 1.

Speculate!
(Submissions Open on 1 Feb 2016 )

Magic and mystery. Murder and mayhem. These are the things we want for Evil Girlfriend Media’s new Speculate! feature. Once a month, we will feature a dark speculative fiction story that embodies the EGM aesthetic. Editor: Jennifer Brozek.
2016 Theme:
Curiosity Killed the Cat. Someone gets curious about something and all sorts of chaos, madness, mayhem, and badness happens. (I.E. Who left me this note? What does this button do? Where are those cries for help coming from? Why do we sprinkle salt around the house once a month? How did she get there?)
Crunchy Bits:
1. Submissions open to original stories on February 1, 2016.
—> Submit to [email protected]. Subject heading of “Submission: Title”
—> Attach the stories in standard manuscript format as an RTF or DOC document.
—> Include name, word count, Paypal address, and postal address in the body of the email as well as in the story document.
2. Stories are to be 4000-7000 words in length. Query for longer.
3. Payment: $100.00 via Paypal.
4. Rights: First North American Rights. Website archives for 2 years. Possible inclusion in a Speculate! anthology with additional reprint payment.
5. One submission at a time. No simultaneous submissions. No reprints.
6. No pedophilia. Rape is not a plot point. No violence for violence’s sake. All horror must have a clear supernatural element to it.
Evil Girlfriend Media is committed to providing high quality, engaging, science fiction, fantasy, and horror that pushes stereotypes, gender biases, and standard tropes out the window to provide a truly entertaining experience for readers.

http://www.evilgirlfriendmedia.com/

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
We are now open to submissions!

Maryn

Masked, Vaxed, Traveling
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell us if the contract terms an author found unfavorable and blogged about here are still in the basic contract? (Link came from AW thread.) If so, are your contract terms rigid or negotiable?

Maryn, reserving judgment

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I would also like an answer to Maryn's question as that article raises some serious issues.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Some of this I can answer. Some I'll have to talk to the editor about.

What is the limit on erotic content?

I'm sure that some erotic content is okay, but this will be posted on a public site. If it meets the other criteria, send it and let the editor decide.

Does the publication have a website or do you?

Website is now up on the original post. Sorry about that.

Can you tell us if the contract terms an author found unfavorable and blogged about here are still in the basic contract? (Link came from AW thread.) If so, are your contract terms rigid or negotiable?

Maryn, reserving judgment

Again this is something I'm asking the editor about. However I do have the Women in Practical Armor anthology contract and none of those questionable clauses have appeared.

Hmmm.... I would also like an answer to Maryn's question as that article raises some serious issues.

I will find out.

Here is their website: http://www.evilgirlfriendmedia.com/

I'm surprised with wasn't listed in the original post. :Shrug:Anyway, I'm not sure it will help much, but they do have a contact form.

I'll find answers to the rest of your questions just as soon as I can.

Thanks
Shadow

Maryn

Masked, Vaxed, Traveling
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We appreciate it, Shadow. We want to enter into submissions and possible contracts with our eyes open.

Maryn, with bated breath

Featured Book