Shir Khan by Gert Haucke

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
So this book has been a childhood favourite of mine and I recently managed to get a copy again. I can't get over this book, and maybe I'll meet someone who can shed some light on it, because here's what I can'r wrap my head around:

It's clearly a true story! About a man who rescued a baby tiger and kept it as a beloved pet. There are full colour photos of that tailless tiger and his family in this book, shot by a woman by the same family name as the tiger's owner, Jörg Peter Henry, presumably his wife. A Siberian tiger, in some German town.
But try googling the story. Nothing. Absolutely nothing! Despite the outrageous things that happened in addition to the outrageous fact of a regular man keeping a Siberian tiger in a German town. I understand this happened before the internet came along, but it's still huge.

So why does the internet not remember? Why are there no records of this story other than the book itself? WAS it really a true story, or did someone just take pictures of a tame tailless tiger and had Haucke, a once famous actor and writer, make up a story? What's weird is, the author's name is Gert Haucke, but it's written in first person from the perspective of JP Henry.

Can someone help me understand the mystery that is this book please? It's been driving me nuts forever!