Severance (Apple+)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
O.M.G. Brilliant, anxiety-inducing, nine-episode first season. Seriously, possibly worth subscribing to Apple’s streaming service just for this show?

TL;DR: “Severance”, in this world, is a surgical and memory-editing procedure that allows one to essentially become two, disjoint personalities living in one body. A severed person has an “outie” (the personality that volunteered for the procedure, and who remembers doing so) and an “innie” (the cored-out personality that has no memories of who they were before severance). Innies exist to work. Outies enjoy the fruits of their labor. Outies trade a daily, weekday memory gap for money they don’t remember earning. Maybe a good deal for the outies? Not so great for the poor innies.

The innies we see all work office jobs of various sorts for a mysterious, apparently large and powerful company called Lumon. Our first look at life within Lumon is from the viewpoint of a newly “recruited” innie, Helly, who wakes up alone on a conference table in an empty room. From her first moments, the dystopian 1980s office vibes are strong. (I’ve read that the Lumon office building scenes were filmed in an old Bell Labs building in New Jersey.)

Helly’s job, she’s told, is to “refine data” — which she does by staring at a matrix of numbers on an old-fashioned CRT screen, and trying to find and remove “anomolies”. She’s not told what the numbers — which all jiggle like jello — represent, nor what “refining” them actually does. Her three coworkers aren’t able to shed light either; none of them know, but they all have various and often implausible theories.

When Helly tires of this and tries to leave, she finds that she literally can’t. Or more accurately, she can physically leave the office floor, but in doing so she becomes her outie, who immediately walks her back in. Eventually, her outie records a video message for her, saying essentially, “I’m a person, you’re not. So suck it up and do your job.”

It’s quickly apparent that innies are slaves. Their office is run like a prison, and while punishment for not toeing the company line isn’t physical, it’s emotionally and psychologically brutal. It’s also quickly apparent that Lumon is cultlike, possibly an actual cult. It’s also American white collar corporate culture seen through Alice’s looking glass — familiar and outre at the same time.

Solving the mystery of what the hell Lumon is doing, as well as unfolding personal mysteries of the four major characters, was riveting TV for our family. I don’t want to give any spoilers! The cast is strong and their performances are what you’d hope from stalwarts like Patricia Arquette, John Turturro and Christopher Walken, but all of them are great really. I especially love the character of Mark, played by Adam Scott (who fans of “The Good Place” will remember as Bad Place demon Trevor). The soundtrack is delightfully moody and often low-key creepy.

Very compelling, brilliant show. And I can’t wait for season 2!

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm ready to start it over to pick up all the foreshadowing.

The pacing was remarkable, I thought. I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but it seems to me there was very little dead air.

Reactions: Introversion

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Severance got me to keep Apple+ when I was ready to cancel it.

Now I'm going to cancel Apple+ until Severance comes back for season two.

• Haha

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm going to cancel Apple+ until Severance comes back for season two.
Slow Horses and Shining Girls look promising after we watched the first episodes and I’ve read praise for Pachinko too, FWIW.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This has turned into my favorite the-world-is-burning-down rewatch.

One of my favorite quotes is from Ricken's book:

"What is it to fail? My failure to break into the literary world in my 20s was devastating, yet it taught me a vital lesson: that it was not me who was wrong, but literature itself."

Is it churlish of me to observe that every once in a while this guy shows up on AW??

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I so, so, so desperately hope they don’t screw up season 2! 🙏🏾

Reactions: lizmonster

Fi Webster

May 21-25 waxing crescent 🌒
Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I kinda went from "Wow! Cool!" to "meh" through the first season of Severance. I canceled my Apple+ subscription. Unless I read a review that dramatically changes my mind, I'm not coming back for more.

At first I was pleased by the obvious influence (which the creators have mentioned in interviews) of one of my all-time favorite movies, Brazil. But as the story evolved, I got tired of the familiar tropes: the creepy nosy neighbor, the maze-like prison of the office complex, the absurdist bits like cutesy animals, the work comprised of numerals-on-screens affecting who-knows-what in the real world. Been there, seen that. The severance concept itself is exciting and has a lot of potential, but I don't feel like the creators are doing much to work it into the kind of explosive weirdness I was hoping for. By the end of the season, I felt the storylines were dragging... not enough there there.

My favorite part, by far, is the relationship between the John Turturro and Christopher Walken characters. Walken, especially, is one of those superlative actors who adds so many extra dimensions to a character beyond the scripted dialogue and action. It's a real joy to watch him work his magic. I love his character's wacky creativity, loneliness, and off-the-prescribed-map behavior.

And as an avid horror fan, I adored the funeral home scene with the quicky surgical ploy. Good fun!

I do wish we saw more of all the characters in the external world, and less in the office. And I wish they would flesh out both settings more. It's all rather claustral at this point—even if intentionally so.

The series would benefit from a bigger budget. The production looks slick enough, but obviously constrained by $$. Maybe they'll have more to work with for the next season. Who knows?

BTW, the original TWIN PEAKS is the best TV series ever. No seriously, it is. 😃

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I would love to check this out. Sounds amazing. I don't have Apple + though.
Last I checked they had a 7 day free trial. If you're a binger, that'd be enough time - some episodes are long, but most run 40-45 minutes.

I do wish Apple would release it on DVD, though. Ditto Ted Lasso.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do wish Apple would release it on DVD, though. Ditto Ted Lasso.
I kinda understand why they don’t. They really really want to snag new subscribers. But it’s irritating when I’d like to help them do that by gifting people a season of a show on disc, and can’t.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but I just used the free week of Apple+ to watch Severance, and holy cannoli it blew my mind. I need someone to talk to about it. Also I'm sad season 2 isn't out yet; I checked IMDB in the middle of watching season 1 and it looked like there were multiple seasons out, so getting to the finale and having no more was very disappointing.

One thing I don't get and just kind of had to shrug and ignore was why aren't there cameras everywhere on Lumon property? They have them in some places, but not others, and once Mark and everyone else in macrodata refinement started causing so much trouble, I figured they would be watched 24/7. It was weird to have Mark talking about extremely important secrets, like his black key card, and wonder why management didn't have cameras everywhere a person could conceivably plot rebellion.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I don't get and just kind of had to shrug and ignore was why aren't there cameras everywhere on Lumon property?
“So the movie can happen!” —Ryan George

Less flippantly, I chalk it up to normal corporate dynamics: You never spend the amounts really needed, because it hurts profits. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: lizmonster

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
One thing I don't get and just kind of had to shrug and ignore was why aren't there cameras everywhere on Lumon property? They have them in some places, but not others, and once Mark and everyone else in macrodata refinement started causing so much trouble, I figured they would be watched 24/7. It was weird to have Mark talking about extremely important secrets, like his black key card, and wonder why management didn't have cameras everywhere a person could conceivably plot rebellion.

I have two guesses about this:

1) Hubris

2) It's all part of some larger experiment. Certainly Ms. Cobel is up to something that's both rabidly aligned with and heretical to Lumon's goals.

Both of these theories, I think, are bolstered by the fact that the company CEO put one of those things into his daughter. He's a fanatic about something, that's for sure.

I have a theory about mind transfer--essentially technological reincarnation--which might explain why Helly's dad was so weird. But I am very possibly reading too much into it all.

I'd read somewhere they'd worked out the full story before they put S1 together. I do hope that's true. I'd love to see multiple seasons that are as tight as this was.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Also! There's a free book (really, a short story) up on Apple Books called Severance: The Lexington Letter.

I'm not sure whether it's considered canon, but it was put out by Apple.

It does cast both a more global and more nefarious light on what Lumon is doing. Not sure how it all integrates with my own reading of the storyline. They can make it work if it's done well, of course - we'll just have to wait and see if it's done well.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
“So the movie can happen!” —Ryan George

Less flippantly, I chalk it up to normal corporate dynamics: You never spend the amounts really needed, because it hurts profits. 🤷‍♂️
True, and the Severance TVtropes page did point out that it seems like the severed floor is entirely staffed by Cobel, Milchik, and Graner, which would make it hard to keep an eye on everyone. The downsides of the panopticon I suppose.
I have two guesses about this:

1) Hubris

2) It's all part of some larger experiment. Certainly Ms. Cobel is up to something that's both rabidly aligned with and heretical to Lumon's goals.

Both of these theories, I think, are bolstered by the fact that the company CEO put one of those things into his daughter. He's a fanatic about something, that's for sure.

I have a theory about mind transfer--essentially technological reincarnation--which might explain why Helly's dad was so weird. But I am very possibly reading too much into it all.

I'd read somewhere they'd worked out the full story before they put S1 together. I do hope that's true. I'd love to see multiple seasons that are as tight as this was.
I got that sense too about Cobel, that she's extra fanatical about the cult-like elements of the company and has her own agenda. I'm really looking forward to where it goes. I also want to know why Irving is painting the black hallway which leads to the door that Ms. Casey/Gemma went into, especially because it seems like she's some new kind of severed worker. She said she'd only been awake for 107 hours, and if she doesn't go topside to have an outie life, I wonder what happens to her. The mind transfer theory could definitely work.

Also I was equal parts amused and moved by the idea that innie Mark finds Ricken's book so inspiring. It makes sense but it's so funny.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I got that sense too about Cobel, that she's extra fanatical about the cult-like elements of the company and has her own agenda. I'm really looking forward to where it goes.

Did you notice that one of the items on her altar is a ventilator-like looking object with a hospital band that says COBEL, CHARLOTTE?

A lost child, maybe? Whatever's going on, Harmony's got a very, very perosnal involvement in all this.

I also want to know why Irving is painting the black hallway which leads to the door that Ms. Casey/Gemma went into, especially because it seems like she's some new kind of severed worker. She said she'd only been awake for 107 hours, and if she doesn't go topside to have an outie life, I wonder what happens to her. The mind transfer theory could definitely work.

I'm wondering if there's an Inception-like thing going on here. Mark's weird little block of townhouses? Pip's Diner? All the locations seem sparse and isolated in strange ways.

I kinda hope not, though, That would be a little bit of a cheat. I prefer Weird Dystopian Reality.

Also I was equal parts amused and moved by the idea that innie Mark finds Ricken's book so inspiring. It makes sense but it's so funny.

I love this bit, because it's very real. Books like that sell buckets IRL. Even fortune cookies can be meaningful depending on what you read into them.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
Did you notice that one of the items on her altar is a ventilator-like looking object with a hospital band that says COBEL, CHARLOTTE?

A lost child, maybe? Whatever's going on, Harmony's got a very, very perosnal involvement in all this.
I did notice that! I'm thinking lost child for sure, but it makes me wonder how it ties into the severing and her fanaticism. Is she just clinging onto Kier's ideals as a coping mechanism, or does she actually have a goal? So many good questions, and it seems like we're shaping up for either a civil war within Lumon or for Cobel to become an unlikely ally.
I'm wondering if there's an Inception-like thing going on here. Mark's weird little block of townhouses? Pip's Diner? All the locations seem sparse and isolated in strange ways.

I kinda hope not, though, That would be a little bit of a cheat. I prefer Weird Dystopian Reality.
Yeah I would also be disappointed, it would be a little too "it was all a dream"-ish for me. And also, I can't get over the implication that Mark, or at least his wife, was tied up with Lumon long before her supposed death. Seems like she was kidnapped or something?
I love this bit, because it's very real. Books like that sell buckets IRL. Even fortune cookies can be meaningful depending on what you read into them.
There was a brief moment when the book was first being narrated that I thought, "Huh, Ricken's actually not a terrible writer," and then it took a nosedive into "the center of industry is (dust)" territory and I was like, "Ah, there's the dreck I was expecting." :LOL: