September 2021 Challenge

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 10- No writing because there was a problem with my book's spine when I uploaded it to Ingramspark. Thank goodness for my tech-savvy dad, who I called right away. I emailed him all the book cover and he fixed it. I hope Ingramsprak will take it now.

Also, I put a new page on my author website with info on Apocalypse Stoppers. The book trailer is now up there too.

Helix- Yay for reaching the 1K club with that non-fiction piece.

Nether - I suppose the wicked do need long naps. How else are they supposed to dream up wicked schemes?

Petro - I'll see you when you get back from your break.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 11- Roughly 200 words quickly handwritten in between some family obligations.
Today was my twelfth visit to the dentist in the past 4 weeks. the current count of work is:
1 crown for a tooth that broke in half. This is what set this all in motion.
2 root canals.
4 deep filings in other teeth.
12 (Roughly) carries removed and filled on different teeth.

Apparently avoiding going to the dentist so they can't tell you you have cavities does not mean you don't get them. I feel like certain branches of philosophy have failed me.

Next they want to do a bridge for a tooth I had pulled the last time I went to a dentist 6 years or so ago. I'm not sure its money I really need to be spending plus they would need to grind down two of my teeth (only one of which has any damage. Does anyone else have any experience with bridges? It's for a molar but I can chew fine without it.

Ptero- Good luck with your break.

Second- Yay new author page!

Helix- Thoughts are good or so I'm told.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Day 10

No words today. I’m letting it sit on the edge while I decide how it’s going to play out. The ending is one of the scenes that is new to the draft. I don’t have writers block. I can see the scene in my mind. And I know it doesn’t have to be perfect in this writing, but I want it to simmer in my imagination.

April – Nice word count Thanks, I’m glad they’re safe too.

Moon – Thank you, I’m glad they're safe too.

Kara – Nice word count!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Day 11

WORD COUNT 660

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET – I edited, and added the scene I’d forgotten to write about the doctor’s visit. So, when I left the story the other day, Billy, Bug, and Harry the dog were trapped by the serial killer. I’ve finally figured out their fate. I just need to explore how it’s going to roll out.

Reactions: Pacific

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 11 was 4,157 words. I would have got more done, but I wound up trying to clean my writing space so I could have a nicer set-up, which I've been meaning to do forever. (Granted, I use a laptop so technically I could write wherever, but I usually limit it to just two places.) I’d kinda hoped for a banner day, but it is what it is. Certainly not a bad day, by any stretch, although I struggled at the last minute to get over that 4k because I didn’t want to follow up a huge weekday with an alright weekend day.

Otherwise, I had to do something different with a fight scene. I’d originally planned for it to take place somewhere else (in a more conducive space), but the events weren’t lining up exactly, and I wasn’t completely sure how I wanted to get the right characters in the right area at the right time of day, so… I changed it. I'm going to probably have to make a lot of changes by the end of the fight. I might try to adjust it whenever I go to revise my novel.

***​

Kara -- I haven't been the dentist in about 8 years now, and I'm dreading what they're going to find when I go >_> Hopefully I have kickass dental insurance by the next time I go (why dental isn't bundled in normal healthcare is just baffling)

Reactions: Pacific

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Day 12

DELIBERATE DAY OFF

Moon – Isn’t it nice to be surprised like that?

Reactions: Helix

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 12 was 3,291 words. I was still trying to move stuff around, and generally cleaning – I’d rather be writing! ☹ (And no, my copy of I’d Rather Be Writing, that to this day I’ve never finished, got to stay exactly where it was on my bookshelf.) So, for that and other reasons, it was a relatively down day (for a Sunday). Tried to make up for it at the last second, but… had some non-writing aggravations to deal with.

The WIP is still arguably going swimmingly (particularly in that several characters wound up swimming in a recent chapter – which was just a lazy way of writing myself out of a minor problem where I could have come up with some alternatives, but they weren’t as humorous).

At 28,474 words overall, so... idk. The actual outline is thin enough that I'm probably okay for space right now, but I'm not sure how long I'll go with some of those fight scenes. I skipped one I hadn't really committed to, I've written one so far, and then I have... let's see... I think another four. One I know is going to be relatively short. The final one needs to be big (haven't really envisioned anything for it). My vision for one of the remaining ones is on the longer side. The other I'd only decided how I wanted it to end.

And then there's a bunch of stuff between that, including something I only recently considered.

No progress on planning my eighth novel so far. I have a partially plotted story, but I want to do some horror since I'll likely be starting either in or going into October. Of course, if I finish that within October, then my ninth novel will have to be horror again. I have absolutely no ideas right now. I'll have to comb through my older ideas, or write a love letter to something I enjoyed. (Technically my current WIP is something of a love letter -- mashing up a few ideas -- as is that short story I need to get back to... and, on that same subject, so is that other thing I started outlining, which spoofs a genre/subgenre.) I have every confidence I'll think of something. After all, book 5's concept was pretty off the cuff, where I decided I wanted to write a horror and then just found an idea (instead of the idea coming first like it usually does)

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Nether: Wow, I'm seriously impressed by your word counts!

Cindyt: Hope some simmering time serves you well.

Second: Nice 259!

kara: Aw man, that sounds like a nightmare with the dentist. Sending lots of sympathy!

I took the weekend off. I've been feeling pretty frazzled recently, so I've decided to stop counting words for a while and try to ease off the pace a wee bit. My focus for this next book is simply to enjoy it. We'll see how it goes ...!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 12 - 251 words.

I did a lot more reading yesterday than writing. I finally got around to reading and finishing the 4th book in the Miss Peregrine's series, A Map of Days. It was great.

April - Creative writing was meant to be enjoyable. If counting your word count isn't enjoyable to you then you are more than welcome to stop.

Nether - Awesome word count!

Cindyt - Yes. I was very surprised

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Day 13

WORD COUNT 641

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET – Billy, Bug, and Harry the dog are still trapped in the limo, which is speeding toward the Everglades. I did a lot of editing.

DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON – All right. The ebook has been edited. Next comes figuring out how to convert it to paperback. I’m most concerned with margins and paging.

April – Sounds like a plan to me.
Moon – WTG on 251 words.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 13 was 3,328 words. Would have and should have got more done, but I took a nap at one point and then had a discussion with somebody who beta read for me. (Although her actual comments were brief, when we’re talking I’m seeing a few larger things that she hadn’t really articulated. It’ll be something to circle around on with the critique partners when I’m done.) It was exhausting in some senses, but it also highlighted how much I remember in terms of a sequence of events.

I had started to write the build-up to a fight last night, but I decided to go back to sleep before I finished so a few elements are going to feel disjointed and will need to be fixed. I also have to describe a monster where my vision was bare-bones so... fun. There's also a logistical issue or two I need to sort out. I also decided to scale back on a separate idea, and shrink back the idea a little... but I need to figure out where it fits into the story.

In less cheerful news, I spent part of the late afternoon putting together a guiding document for anybody who “inherits” my work in the unfortunate event of my passing (at this point, it’s still more preemptive than anything – I’m not in any imminent peril, but I’ve known a lot of people who have died over the past two years). If I was further along in a writing career, I’d appoint an executor to my literary estate, but there’s hardly a point to it right now. However, I figure if I’m potentially leaving behind multiple manuscripts, I’d rather like to see *something* be done with them as a matter of an enduring legacy (even – to quote the musical Hamilton – I’d just be “planting seeds in a garden I’ll never see.”)

***​

April -- I keep thinking I'm going to scale back my pace at some point, and then I don't. There were a few times in recent months I thought I was going to burn out, but that didn't happen either. idk. I think I'm just too used to doing volume at this point. I use word counts as a motivator, but word counts are demotivating you, I'd definitely say try going without it for a while.

Helix

a tale they won't believe
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Day 14: slowly plugging away, but need to pick up the pace. The hot days (32C in mid-Sept, probably another record) aren't helping.

• 7 of 18 short pieces done for Medium, am currently working on #8
  • words coming in fits and starts for the non-fiction
  • *throws up hands at the fiction*

Reactions: Cindyt

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 13 - I plotted some and also wrote a poem. I never write poetry, but I was having such a bad day I needed to get my feelings out. I had always heard that poetry is good for releasing feeling, but oh boy, this really helped. I should do it more often.

Cindyt- Not the dog! You better save that poor pup...and the people.

Nether - Beta readers really do help, don't they

Helix - I can't wait for cooler weather.

• Haha
Reactions: Helix and Cindyt

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Drive by-
Day 12- 522
Day 13- 368
Day 14- 618

Nether- One of the good things about where I live now is that dental and health come together. The root canal cost about as much as having my tooth pulled in America.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Second: Glad the poetry helped!

Cindyt: Nice 641! I've been avoiding doing paperbacks for so long because I hate the formatting :/

Nether: I seem to go through phases with word counts: sometimes it motivates me, and sometimes it just feels like unwelcome pressure. It feels nice right now to let go.

Helix: Urgh, that heat sounds no fun. Hope it cools down soon.

karasunoyoashi: Great consistency over the three days.

I delved into the history of my new series, figuring out the main players' motivations etc. Feeling pretty excited about this one.

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 14 was 3,143 words. I kept dozing off, so... the early going wasn't so hot, but by the end of that part I still managed over 2k words. And then tonight I rushed 1,079 words in the final 45 minutes of the day (although I guess technically I wasn't writing the full 45 minutes)

At any rate, another character death done. The transition between scenes was rough, just because I'd taken a break between writing them so I'm disappointed by how it turned out, especially considering the verbiage I had in my head had escaped it by then. (Although I guess that was part of the same scene, even if it set up the following scene.)

I still need to put another character in the hospital, and build up to killing two more. And my outline is kinda blank after those deaths (at least, up until the ending), so... I'll need to figure out something.

***​

Second Moon -- Some more than others, I should imagine. The problem with this reader is that she missed a few references and misinterpreted a few statements. The one advantage here is just I didn't have to exchange anything, which saved me a bit of time. I like one of my critique partners, but the exchanges can be absurdly time-consuming. Of course, most disappointingly of all, I realized that my critique partners, beta reader, and I *all* missed a relatively silly typo on an early page. That I find really worrisome.

Kara -- I have yet to have a really expensive dental procedure so far, but I kinda expect that I probably have one on the way given how long it's been since I've seen a dentist and, of course, the fact that soda is my preferred caffeine delivery system.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Day 14

ETA: I first marked today as a Day Off, and then it occurred to me that I did make notes on nine scenes. There are at least three additional scenes in the last chapter. Then the Epilogue, which I'm not completely firm about.

April – Trust me, if the paperback formatting gets too twisty, I’m going to ditch it.

Moon – So, saving the people is an afterthought? :roll:

Last edited:

Helix

a tale they won't believe
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Day 15 (time zones are a pain!)

• Just finished #8 for Medium (485 words and several photos)
  • No other writing done today
At least it wasn't so hot today -- sunny and 27C, which is ice cream weather, I'm sure of it.

Reactions: Cindyt

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 14 - 695 words.

Today (the 15th) is the day Apocalypse Stoppers is published. It isn't on any websites to buy yet. Does that still make it published? Granted, it is 6 in the morning as I write this. I need to give it time.

Cindyt - I was watching Disney's Jungle Cruise and was more worried about the pet (no spoilers about what the animal is) then the people. If one of the pet's humans were in danger I was thinking, "Oh no! She (the pet) will lose her humans! She will be so lonely."

Nether - Silly typos are bad, I agree, but have you ever made your characters start a fire while underwater? I have. Didn't catch it until few weeks later. :ROFLMAO:

April - It really did help.

Helix - When reading your post, my eyes skipped over the C in the 27C. I thought you meant Fahrenheit not Celsius. LOL. 27F would not be ice cream eating weather.

Reactions: Cindyt and Helix

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 15- 562 words
Second- Yay publishing! Best of luck.

Helix- Good job getting another one finished.

Cindyt- Way to get some work done even on a day off.

Nether- It is definitely better to get a check up if you can. Until my tooth broke I hadn't been having any real pain, perhaps some cold sensitivity in one tooth. I'm the same way with soda no matter how many times I try to quit.

April- Character and world history can be so fun and being useful is the cherry on top.

scarywicket

Registered
Reaction score
week 2 update--made a little headway on the research, and most importantly drafted a freelance writing pitch and sent it out to a bunch of editors. i've already heard back from two with very kind nos and invitations to pitch again, so hopefully i can come up with something else for those two by the end of the month while it's still fresh.

it's really motivating to see everyone's hard work this month--we're halfway there! go team go 🎉

Reactions: Cindyt and Helix

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Day 15

WORD COUNT 721

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET – I edited today because that’s what my OCD ordered me to do.

Moon – Honey, I cannot watch or read sad or happy animal stuff without bawling my eyes out. And the two dog movies I avoid at all costs are Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows. I mean, tears are threatening just from typing the titles. -

Kara – Grats on your 562-word count. I rarely make notes, and if I do, I rarely follow them. The notes can best be described as firm plot sentences. I’m going to start early tomorrow with an aim of finishing up, maybe sling a few lines of the Epilogue.

Helix – Congrats on finishing #8 for Medium and the 485-word count

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Day 15 was 2,411. I wound up taking a long nap at one point, and then just going to sleep shortly thereafter, which killed one full writing session (and it was the generally important one). The secondary issue is that when I sleep for what people consider “average hours” (ie, a total of 7+ hours within a 24-hour period), my mind feels a little foggy until I get back in my usual lower sleep patterns.

Eventually I’d recovered enough to get a bit more done, so it wasn’t a total wash, but… I hate coming up short on a daily target. I know that bad writing days happen for any number of reasons, but it’s demoralizing.

Had another set of eyes on the beginning of book 4, which backed up something my beta reader had said (following a bunch of questions) and I think another critique partner may have mentioned as well. It looks like I may need to do more to establish the setting (which involves descriptions, ugh); but, more importantly, I might need to make a "Kill Your Darlings"-level fundamental chance to the manuscript that would change the title and change a perhaps-too-clever naming convention of the setting's magic users... although I'm worried about it getting a little generically fantasy if I don't find the right name to replace it.

Overall, it's a potentially small (well, small-ish?) change with major ramifications. A lot of it is technically explained later, even just a few more chapters in, although an association is created within the readers' mind that might not keep them grounded.

***​

Kara – Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to go the dentist right now, but between not having dental insurance right now and the pandemic, I’m going to put it off a little while longer. It’s more something I *should* have done in the last few years, and just paid out of pocket.

Moon – Technically you can start a fire underwater, although it requires specific conditions

At any rate, if a reader ever spots the mistake, you can always just say it was magic :p

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Nether: I don't think I've ever read a book without finding a typo. They always seem to sneak past, no matter what.

Cindyt: Great 721. Did you see Amazon have snuck out beta hardcover printing? That could be interesting.

Helix: Great job finishing. Hope you had that ice cream :)

Second Moon: Happy publication day! :partyguy: Hope you make time for a wee celebration.

kara: Nice 562. I drink fizzy juice too but haven't been to the dentist in two years cos of the pandemic ... Now I'm worried!

scarywicket: Nice progress--and awesome you got invited to pitch again.

I'm still figuring out some back story and secondary characters. Also, Chapter 2 isn't up to scratch, so I need to have a rethink.

Featured Book