Send not to ask for whom the bell tolls

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Brigid Barry

You'd never know that I'm losing my mind
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigidbarryauthor.weebly.com
My concern is basically for everyone who isn't a cishet white man at this point. The Roe v Wade decision doesn't affect me directly because of my age and location, but there are a lot of people who are affected by it directly
More concerning is that this is a giant leap down a slippery slope of stripping rights away that don't adhere to the extremist regime.

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
We're all threatened, including "cishet white men," so don't go excluding perfectly decent human beings from the upcoming battle. Society has swung from "blame the victim" to "the victim never lies" and one attitude is as damaging as the other. All a person has to do now is say, "That cishet white guy did me wrong," and men lose their jobs and their reputations based on a mere accusation, no proof, no trial by jury, no presumed innocent until proven guilty. Think "cishet white men" are immune from injustice? Think again, and think hard.

A recent trial in a neighboring state involved a female on male sexual assault case in which a repeat offender was found not guilty because she is a she, and the jury didn't believe that a man could be coerced into unwanted sexual contact by threats of false charges and loss of custody of his children. This female had made repeated calls to local LE, claiming domestic abuse, and each time she was the one arrested due to physical attacks she'd made on the "cishet white man" she accused of attacking her. He never struck back so was the one covered in cuts and bruises, but that history was not allowed into evidence, nor was testimony regarding her uncontrollable temper and manipulative behavior. It was a bullshit case with a bad outcome based on the notion that "cishet white men" are always the privileged bad guys.

By the way, last time I checked, a couple of people leading this recent travesty of justice and now calling for an end to everything from gay marriage to contraception use (for Goddess's sake!) are not cishet white men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diana Hignutt

SWest

I have curly hair...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Anyhoo.
...this is a giant leap down a slippery slope of stripping rights away that don't adhere to the extremist regime.
The other real threat: increased incidence of physical violence against targeted populations.

SWest

I have curly hair...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I am very afraid of this, I just couldn't find a way to articulate it.
On its face, it doesn't make sense, right? I mean, the dominant culture is getting its way.

But when it's advertised that *certain* people are Less Human than *the winners* are, it sets off some kind of reflexive aggression.

Obviously this stood the Hittites in good evolutionary stead. Contemporary brains are not moving away from it.

Everyone grow your antennae back, even in "safer" states.

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm under no illusion that the extremists will be content with their red states gleefully tromping all over people's rights. If allowed, there will come a time that they force it on everyone. "Safer" states are temporary on the current trajectory.

SWest

I have curly hair...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
..."Safer" states are temporary on the current trajectory.
This is what we are meant to think, imagine, fear...

On the one hand, there's political safety. Leadership can change, so political involvement must be maintained.

On the other hand, there's physical safety. This has never been a given, so personal vigilance and sense of community must be maintained.

In terms of anxiety, it is the most patriotic American value to all hang together. Or we will surely all hang separately.

While it is important to know how to access and support a local advocacy group where you might find help, it is vitally important to choose an advocacy group for a more at-risk population to support financially and IRL.

Voter advocacy and registration initiatives are always welcoming volunteers, whether in person, on the phone, to drive on polling days (where legal), etc..

Make it very hard for anyone to take your rights and life.

Jazz Club

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, I'm not even American, and this decision has shaken me. Roe vs Wade predates my birth so I never remember a time without it. I always thought that here, we could look to the US and say 'we look really backwards compared to them' when we talked about abortion rights. When Ireland legalised abortion only a few years ago, one of the arguments that helped get the law pushed through was that most of the western world had more liberal laws than us. Now, if we're not even going to be able to say that any more... it feels like the world is losing some kind of beacon of hope for women's rights. Sorry about the hyperbole and the bad wording. (I'm exhausted today) but it's scary.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍🌈🦅 and 🏳️‍🌈🦅 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
My feelings on the whole situation are very strange. I live in California, where discrimination based on hairstyles is banned, because it has racist implications. We've gone out of our way to become a sanctuary state for abortion, and it's always been a sanctuary for queer folk. Yes, it is very difficult to make ends meet in SF/LA, but all of these protections are statewide, even in the "state of Jefferson" bullshit red areas. So nothing has changed here, nor will much else if other scotus rulings are overturned, since so much is already codified into law.

I don't want to be like "I have turned into the Joker" but I sure do feel like I had such a moment yesterday when Biden said "you know what this means! You gotta go out and vote in November!!!" But I do vote, in every election, but with how California is set up, there's always going to be two democratic senators, a very good chance the house reps will be democrats. The state will vote democrat. So the individual power of my vote, on a national level, is pretty much nothing. It has more weight in state elections, but that doesn't help people in other states. And I'm being told just to vote harder? Why can't the people I already voted for do shit? I can kind of give Diane Feinstein a pass because she's not all there anymore, but what about everyone else?

I don't have the money to give to organizations to help people in other places. I can go to SF or Oakland and join a rally but...what would that do? Are people in Washington going to see that on tv and that'll finally stir their icy hearts into acting? Of course not, everyone will expect something like that, so it won't mean anything. So I get to sit here in this nice state where the weather is always nice, in a city where there's no wild fires or floods, where I know my rights are still going to be there, no matter what. Yet I don't have enough power or privilege to do anything to help anyone else.

Unimportant

But you can call me Fran, if you prefer. Or birdie
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet I don't have enough power or privilege to do anything to help anyone else.
Chase, I'll say the same thing to you that I have in the past to Diana Hignutt: Don't underestimate the amount of good you do by being out. By talking about your situation, your experiences, your interactions -- good and bad -- with other people.

It's easy for your basic right winger to say "All trans people are evil pedophiles!" as a generalisation, and to hate trans people as an unknown group of people. It's a hell of a lot harder for them to say "My colleague/next door neighbour/daughter's flatmate/whatever Chase J is an evil pedophile, and I hate him" if they've actually got to know you and like you.

The more you willingly show people that a) you are trans and b) you are a good person and c) you are not a threat to anyone or anything in their lives, the more likely they are to consider trans people as individuals deserving of decency rather than faceless, nameless entities who are evil, dangerous scaryboogles because Tucker Carlson say so.

It's totally unfair, of course. Why should you have to turn every single goddam minute of your day into a teaching moment for the benefit if ignorant, judgmental, bigoted, hate-filled asshats? Why should you risk putting yourself out there to get bashed, both figuratively and literally? But each time you do, each time you educate an individual, you're potentially turning an enemy into an ally.

You do what only you can do. Others, who can't do what you can do, may offer money or transport or marching in protests instead.

ElaineB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elaineburnes.com
I can go to SF or Oakland and join a rally but...what would that do? Are people in Washington going to see that on tv and that'll finally stir their icy hearts into acting? Of course not, everyone will expect something like that, so it won't mean anything. So I get to sit here in this nice state where the weather is always nice, in a city where there's no wild fires or floods, where I know my rights are still going to be there, no matter what. Yet I don't have enough power or privilege to do anything to help anyone else.
I live in Massachusetts and feel much the same. Don't assume "no matter what" though. I think even the bluest states can find themselves suddenly not so blue. I'm probably going to vote Republican in the fall primary for governor because our lesbian Democratic nominee is running unopposed at this point, so my best bang for the vote is against the Trumpet Republican. I've heard that in some "secure" Democratic states, people are voting for a Trumpet in the primary, thinking they'll be easier to defeat in November. I shudder to think. Did we learn nothing? Did anyone think Trump would actually win? And now the system is rigged even more for Republicans. You can't take anything for granted anymore. Which is why I'm horrified when people want to give up and stop voting altogether. I feel that way too, but damn, we simply can't.

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
It's a weird situation. I am preparing to do the once unthinkable: vote for Liz Cheney in the primary because she's preferable to anyone else running on the Republican ticket, though I will most assuredly vote against her in the general election because I disagree with almost every single one of her political stances. Nope, voting for a Democrat in the primary isn't feasible in this state, not only because the idiot Democrats have a caucus but because the only way to actually influence the outcome for November is to vote in the Republican primary race.

Brigid Barry

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had never considered switching my registration to Republican to influence the primary. That's assuming the party doesn't look at who wins and set it on fire and then just give it to who they want. I am going to see if I can get a bunch of people to do it, too.

Maine is a purple state (that no one really cares about winning) so we're in danger of going over a cliff. 😞

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"No Man is an Island, entire to himself..."

The Blue States will be safer for longer, but that won't last forever. Once the Executive and Congress fall to the theocrats, these actions will go federal. Steel yourselves for that. I'm not telling you this to make you lose hope, but to help you understand what is probably going to happen. Willful blindness will not help us now. We must be prepared and ready to fight.

Right now, the best thing you can do, is be yourself. The theofasicsts have billion dollar think tanks devising propaganda to dehumanize us. Our jobs right now, is to do what we can to humanize us. There is only one way to do that. Day to day, just being out and being yourself. That's the job right now, if it is safe enough in your circumstances to do this.

Yes, we vote. And in the end, we fight.

If you are in a Red State and you are trans, you should probably come up with a plan for leaving if necessary. If you are in a Blue State, you have more time, but it probably is not a bad idea to have some semblance of a plan for the future.

Right now, try to stay calm, build your resolve, plan, save money (if possible), build human networks for support, and pay attention. Do not let this assaults on rights paralyze you.

We will fight together. We will do whatever we must. And we'll do it together.

Brave hearts my friends.

ETA:

Last edited:

Fi Webster

🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
Here's a link to the John Donne poem that the title of this thread is from.

https://www.yourdailypoem.com/listpoem.jsp?poem_id=2118

In 1967, when I was 12 years old, I had a large calligraphy print of that John Donne poem on the wall of my bedroom. It harmonized oddly well with my psychedelic blacklight posters. =laugh=

There's a great movie starring Emma Thompson about the powerful effect of John Donne's poetry on a pair of female friends, one of whom is dying of cancer: Wit. Highly recommended! It got me back into reading Donne all over again—especially his sonnets.

And Diana: thanks so much for the Audioslave song. Just what I needed to hear this afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: dickson

SWest

I have curly hair...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com