• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for Adult High Fantasy First Chapters--Got Four, Will Post if Need More!

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all!

I am seeking another beta for the first 3ish chapters (~21K) of my fantasy MS that is being rejected out in the wilds of Queryland. I'm also reworking the query in QLH (problems must be investigated from all angles!) It has already had several pairs of eyes over it, but I am getting the feeling that something obviously sucks lol (self-deprecating humor is a specialty of mine). There should be no need for any line by line stuff--it has been revised, edited, and polished about three or four times now to check for typos and other little nasties.

• Genre: Fantasy, but without magic. Set in a Renaissance era world in a climate similar to north Florida/south Georgia. Features some megafauna/flora. Swearing. Morally ambiguous people and some that are downright nasty.
  • Authors I Like: Richard K. Morgan, Shelley Parker-Chan, Anna Smith Spark, James S. Corey
  • Feedback: I need to know what is wrong with it. Life is being pretty mean to me right now in a variety of ways, so I might need a little more softness than I would normally request.
  • Publishing: Goal is to trade publish. Self-publishing both impresses and scares me, and I don't know that I'm cut out for that lol.
  • Credentials: Have read book at some point in life.
  • Can Return Favor: Circa start of December. Got some work, grad school, and health stuff happening, but two of those will be cleared up by then. :)

Query (version that has been declared defunct, but gives a basic idea of both my voice and the plot):

Roth Kaav is sick of kowtowing to noble officers who have half his brains and twice his coin. His career is stalled by his peasant birth, and his commanding officer is just looking for an excuse to have him flogged. Being an honest soldier has gotten him nowhere, so he’s decided to try being a double agent for some rebel upstarts instead.

Being a traitor is a hell of a lot more exciting than teaching teenage boys how to swing swords. Bonus: stealing military secrets is pretty damn easy when you’re invited to the meetings. All Roth has to do is help start a civil war, dethrone a tyrant, and maybe garrote his commanding officer. Simple stuff.

At least, it was simple—right until he’s caught stealing information by Ilse, the daughter of the man he’s supposed to be dethroning. As it turns out, Roth isn’t the only one who hates her father. Ilse is more than willing to trade secrets for the chance at a new life far from her psychotic family. It even sounds like she’d be okay with Roth tagging along.

Oddly enough, being paid to wipe out the entire ruling family did not come with a save-one-for-later clause. Time is running out, and Roth can’t trust a ragtag army of mercenaries and escaped prisoners to storm the castle and leave Ilse alive. Now, every step he takes puts her in more danger. Succeeding at what he set out to do will kill her. Failing will kill him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink-Soul

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pageturneredits.com
I'm currently beta-reading a manuscript, but I should be available next week if you want. I read mostly fantasy, romance, and thrillers.

Ink-Soul

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolehidalgoauthor.com
Hey, I remember giving my two cents on this version of the query letter - and I also remember quite liking it :D I'm available to read your first chapters if you'd like me to. I read and write fantasy and romance, and we even have a liked author in common, Shelley Parker-Chan x)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I remember giving my two cents on this version of the query letter - and I also remember quite liking it :D I'm available to read your first chapters if you'd like me to. I read and write fantasy and romance, and we even have a liked author in common, Shelley Parker-Chan x)
I'd love that! I feel like I've read them so many times that I'm going squirrelly. :)

Reactions: Ink-Soul

Jazz Club

It's not wrong, it's dialect
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all!

I am seeking another beta for the first 3ish chapters (~21K) of my fantasy MS that is being rejected out in the wilds of Queryland. I'm also reworking the query in QLH (problems must be investigated from all angles!) It has already had several pairs of eyes over it, but I am getting the feeling that something obviously sucks lol (self-deprecating humor is a specialty of mine). There should be no need for any line by line stuff--it has been revised, edited, and polished about three or four times now to check for typos and other little nasties.

• Genre: Fantasy, but without magic. Set in a Renaissance era world in a climate similar to north Florida/south Georgia. Features some megafauna/flora. Swearing. Morally ambiguous people and some that are downright nasty.
  • Authors I Like: Richard K. Morgan, Shelley Parker-Chan, Anna Smith Spark, James S. Corey
  • Feedback: I need to know what is wrong with it. Life is being pretty mean to me right now in a variety of ways, so I might need a little more softness than I would normally request.
  • Publishing: Goal is to trade publish. Self-publishing both impresses and scares me, and I don't know that I'm cut out for that lol.
  • Can Return Favor: Circa start of December. Got some work, grad school, and health stuff happening, but two of those will be cleared up by then. :)

Query (version that has been declared defunct, but gives a basic idea of both my voice and the plot):

Roth Kaav is sick of kowtowing to noble officers who have half his brains and twice his coin. His career is stalled by his peasant birth, and his commanding officer is just looking for an excuse to have him flogged. Being an honest soldier has gotten him nowhere, so he’s decided to try being a double agent for some rebel upstarts instead.

Being a traitor is a hell of a lot more exciting than teaching teenage boys how to swing swords. Bonus: stealing military secrets is pretty damn easy when you’re invited to the meetings. All Roth has to do is help start a civil war, dethrone a tyrant, and maybe garrote his commanding officer. Simple stuff.

At least, it was simple—right until he’s caught stealing information by Ilse, the daughter of the man he’s supposed to be dethroning. As it turns out, Roth isn’t the only one who hates her father. Ilse is more than willing to trade secrets for the chance at a new life far from her psychotic family. It even sounds like she’d be okay with Roth tagging along.

Oddly enough, being paid to wipe out the entire ruling family did not come with a save-one-for-later clause. Time is running out, and Roth can’t trust a ragtag army of mercenaries and escaped prisoners to storm the castle and leave Ilse alive. Now, every step he takes puts her in more danger. Succeeding at what he set out to do will kill her. Failing will kill him.
Oh, good stuff. I was thinking I'd like a look at this novel because the query really intrigued me. I love the idea of fantasy without magic!! I can read your first couple of chapters any time. It'd be nice to take a break from my usual detailed line-editing style too. I'll be extra gentle if that's what you want. If you're interested, I can DM you my email address.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good stuff. I was thinking I'd like a look at this novel because the query really intrigued me. I love the idea of fantasy without magic!! I can read your first couple of chapters any time. It'd be nice to take a break from my usual detailed line-editing style too. I'll be extra gentle if that's what you want. If you're interested, I can DM you my email address.
Yes, please! :)

TheKingsWit

Registered
Reaction score
I’d be happy to take a look at your opening chapters. Fantasy is my poison of choice and I thought your query letter was interesting. Let me know if you have any specific areas/ style of feedback you’re interested in!

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I’d be happy to take a look at your opening chapters. Fantasy is my poison of choice and I thought your query letter was interesting. Let me know if you have any specific areas/ style of feedback you’re interested in!
Thank you! :) I appreciate it.

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to take a look too. I'm a fantasy reader. DM me and we can exchange email addresses. I've got a WIP (sci fi humor) and I'd like to get feedback from more people on the first couple chapters, but it's not a requirement.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I need to finish a read I already committed to but I love this style of fantasy and want to read this.
Hey, all!

Oddly enough, being paid to wipe out the entire ruling family did not come with a save-one-for-later clause. Time is running out, and Roth can’t trust a ragtag army of mercenaries and escaped prisoners to storm the castle and leave Ilse alive. Now, every step he takes puts her in more danger. Succeeding

• Love
Reactions: Little Anonymous Me

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I am having such a lousy week and that really made me smile. Thank you. :)
Oof. Sorry, my friend, right there with you. DM me if you wanna swap info an send it over, I can't make a commitment right this moment (and it sounds like you have other people interested) but probably within a month or so and I waaaannnaaa reeaaddd iiittt. I'm a fan of low fantasy and like all the authors you mentioned as influences.

EDIT: LOL, you described it as high fantasy so I guess it's not low fantasy. Still down.

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: LOL, you described it as high fantasy so I guess it's not low fantasy. Still down.
Dude, people have told me it's high fantasy, low fantasy, not fantasy at all...idk what it is at this point. :ROFLMAO: Taking the magic out apparently makes things hard.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, people have told me it's high fantasy, low fantasy, not fantasy at all...idk what it is at this point. :ROFLMAO: Taking the magic out apparently makes things hard.
Because all fantasy subgenres are rigidly delineated and everything fits into a neat box requiring hair-splitting down to the nanometer.

• Haha
Reactions: Little Anonymous Me