Seeking advice on what to do

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
My main series manuscript is in beta, waiting for notes on it. I've been making corrections on it as well as marinating the next version.

I drafted a prequel that needs time to sit.

I'm starting a blog.

Any suggestions on what to do now? Research? Build a series bible wiki (I use a physical binder for the most part)? I've done a lot of the clerical side of things to fill time in October.

Ahead of quarter 4 targets and honestly I'm just a little lost on what to do next. I need to stay buried in doing something otherwise my brain gets in the way.

Reactions: Elenitsa

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Remind me what it is you're planning for this MS - trade or self publishing?

I'm a big proponent of writing the next thing. I know a lot of people say not to write a series in case the first one doesn't take off, but I've always felt you need to write what feeds you, whatever that is.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I recall one guy here said he writes in series but backward. Each project precedes the one before. It's a neat trick to think about.

Personally, I like doing the visual stuff--maps, artwork, character sketches. Like a wiki-bible, these will impact the stories you tell.

I wrote a folk song from my world at one point. (I'm looking for someone to record it so I can put it on the website.) Engaging with readers is good, if you enjoy that.

Currently my head isn't in the right space to write because I'm preparing for an author event. I'm deciding on swag and ordering stuff and practicing excerpts.

There are some workshops you can sit in on.

This is a sort of rambling way to say that part of the broader set of choices includes not writing, but other things that will enhance the writing.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
In addition to the other excellent advice:

Remember that writing, like all creativity, is as much about consumption as production. Inhaling as well as exhaling.

Maybe take some time to do some reading. (Or gaming, or binging - however you regenerate your creative energy and refill the idea well...)

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, the silence between the notes is what allows the music to exist. It's just that I get very bored and my brain likes to stab me if it isn't occupied.

I'm thinking of making hard copies of previous versions of the main manuscript, but formatting those will take less than a day.

I have a lot of character sketches, and things like that having prepped for an unreasonable amount of time before I started writing.

Liz - I want to try to seek an agent if I can go the traditional path. I know the selling advice is to make a lot of different things and see what sticks. Although this is more of a passion project than a formatted for maximum mass consumption.

Edit - I did a white board session on what to do and this is what I came up with:
  • Short stories and other projects unrelated to main.
  • Distill paint (emotional/topics/speeches for future use)
  • Forensic dissection of various media
  • Compile old versions + removed scenes for hard copy
  • Exit character interviews an analysis of needs v wants
  • Relevant history reserch
  • Review notes and series bible
  • General writing research

Last edited:
  • Love

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Liz - I want to try to seek an agent if I can go the traditional path.

Well, in that case, it's never too early to work on the query letter. :)
I know the selling advice is to make a lot of different things and see what sticks.

Do you mean the people who say not to write the sequels until you've sold the first of a series? Yeah, I see that advice a lot. I suppose there's logic to it, but like I said, you need to love what you're writing or for sure nobody else ever will. If sequels are calling to you, do that.

Although this is more of a passion project than a formatted for maximum mass consumption.

Keep in mind that most published books don't get maximum mass consumption, and that's expected. Niche markets are a thing. Selling a book isn't about writing something that'll sell millions - it's about writing a good book and finding a publisher who can get it to readers who'll love it. How many sales that is depends on the publisher and their expectations - and no, they don't expect them all to end up on the NYT list.

PraiseRao

Backup your files
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. Hmm query letter is a good idea. Yea "if you build it they will come"/Make the best version of whatever it is you are making. I'm pretty happy so far even if the only person who ever read them was myself. Though I have been getting good reviews from my beta readers so far.

The write a bunch of different things comes from the columns of the guy who does screenplays and is known for things like Pirates of the Caribbean. http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/welcome.html Not sure which column it is. Personally I'm going to probably just stick with the world I'm working with though.

Reactions: Woollybear

RGS-Author

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My best advice is this:

Start writing.

Seriously. Yes, that page will seem to be tormenting you with its blankness. Yes, it'll cross your mind that the first step is the hardest.

But once you put words on the screen, you just might be amazed at how quickly the ideas will flow.

I had a vague idea for a novel that I carried around for years. It was a very rough draft, and I had no clue where to go with it. For that reason, I waited years to attempt writing it. But once I started, the dam opened up and the ideas came flooding at me.

Everyone is different, but for me personally, the longer I go without actually laying words down, the more "analysis paralysis" I get. That is, I toss around a bazillion potential plot scenarios and debate them within myself. But once I actually start hitting those keys, it all seems to fall into place.