Seeking a proper synonym

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Set2Stun

Banned
Reaction score
Okay - here's the passage, hopefully short enough (since this isn't SYW). But you can see what I'm going for. (Currently, btw, I'm planning to leave "dumb luck," unless I come up with something better.)
When I read your first post in this thread, I immediately thought of the word, "fortuitous." Can fit that in anywhere. Then later, I saw that you clarified that this was from a piece of dialogue.

Characters can say whatever the heck they want to say, as long as it fits them. If they're good-hearted, but naïve, unaware of "wokeness," sure, they can say that, and hopefully without adverse consequences. If they're ignorant, foul, offensive, they can use the term in that context as well. It also depends on the universe of the work, as you know.

If it's only coming down to how an extremely sensitive reader might interpret it in any context, well. I have met many characters that I do not approve of, but still enjoy reading, and the majority of rational-minded persons are on board with this as well.

Reactions: lizmonster

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Ridiculous luck/being ridiculously lucky might work for the same connotations (near-unbelievable, largely-undeserved luck), though it's not quite as snappy and pithy--though since you said your character is quite swear-happy, adding a swear or two might help capture that feel too.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How about "We got lucky" or "We lucked out"? Not sure if the second is a Canadianism or not.
Or, 'beginner's luck'? After all, how many times have we evacuated a planet before, let alone survivors?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Okay - here's the passage, hopefully short enough (since this isn't SYW). But you can see what I'm going for. (Currently, btw, I'm planning to leave "dumb luck," unless I come up with something better.)
Read the thread, and there's lots of good suggestions. But in this context, I think it works. I'd leave it in. Yes, it could be seen as ableist; I get that point. But you have to be true to your characters. If they'd say something like this, don't sanitize their language. Let them be who they are.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Given that my character is very sweary, I could make it even more interesting. :)

Well there you go. Skip the word 'luck' altogether, use a synonym for 'chance,' and toss in a swear for good measure.

... "But as far as I know, we survived the way we always do."

"How is that?"

"We rolled the fucking dice."
"We rolled the fucking dice and got (snake eyes)."
"It was a crisis. So, we rolled the fucking dice."
etc

She made a sound, and I had to listen for a second before I realized she was laughing.

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
I like your clip here a lot, by the way. I am a sucker for the topic of the future of the human race.

The day after my last post I couldn’t remember if “Stupid luck”had ever been put forward even though it’s so simple.

I like “Dumb luck” just fine though.

Oscar1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cquillwriter.com
See, and in context - dumb luck is just absolutely perfect. It reads like a punch line and I even chuckled. Do not change it! It is great as it is.

Unimportant

I got a Sisyphus point!!!!!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to waffle the equivalent of 'serendipitous cascade of events' is always going to detract more than it adds due to the artificial terminology.

I agree with dumb. Stick a fork in it. It's done. BC dumb in this scenario isn't like blind, as a sensory disability. It's stupid clueless random chance. Not offensive or disrespectful or failing to read the room -- at least from my admittedly clueless privileged and currently abled perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Introversion

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Why not "sheer bloody-mindedness"? Or just leave it as "dumb luck" (I like this one)?

CandyFloss

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if you're still working on this but I like the 2 x monosyllabic word structure of "dumb luck".

You said your character swears, so how about "Fuck knows".

Elizabeth George's book Write Away