• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Scriptapalooza Coverage Service

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
4000 x $40 and you don't have a do a thing... why didn't I think of that?

Thank you for the heads-up, Chris.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Actually, I wouldn't call Scriptapalooza a scam at all. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the contest to comment one way or another about that, but just the premise of a contest charging entry fees isn't scammy. They do have to pay people to log and read all those entries, to do mailings, etc.

And honestly, it's extremely difficult to break in as a spec screenwriter-- much more difficult than trying to break in to the publishing world. Screenwriting contests are one way that new writers do break in. I can't speak for Scriptapalooza specifically, but there are several top screenwriting contests (that charge entry fees) that definitely have led to successful careers. Scriptapalooza winners and finalists have been picked up, as well-- take a look at the press releases on Moviebytes for details: http://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDetail.cfm?ContestNumber=123

What I'm saying, in short, is that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that all entry-fee contests are scams (it's not the same thing as paying an agent or editor to consider your work).

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Actually, I wouldn't call Scriptapalooza a scam at all. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the contest to comment one way or another about that, but just the premise of a contest charging entry fees isn't scammy. They do have to pay people to log and read all those entries, to do mailings, etc.

And honestly, it's extremely difficult to break in as a spec screenwriter-- much more difficult than trying to break in to the publishing world. Screenwriting contests are one way that new writers do break in. I can't speak for Scriptapalooza specifically, but there are several top screenwriting contests (that charge entry fees) that definitely have led to successful careers. Scriptapalooza winners and finalists have been picked up, as well-- take a look at the press releases on Moviebytes for details: http://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDetail.cfm?ContestNumber=123

What I'm saying, in short, is that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that all entry-fee contests are scams (it's not the same thing as paying an agent or editor to consider your work).

I stand corrected...you, without question, know more than I.

Last edited:

fuzzysteamroller

Scriptapalooza

My experience: I entered and placed in the top 25%. Not enough for fame and fortune, but I was contacted by a fairly weell-known producer. He had placed a reader or contact to give him a head's up if they found something that fit his specific genre, etc. So it seemeed to me at least to be extremely legit and not a bad way to (maybe) get through one of the slush piles.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
I was a Scriptapalooza finalist. They gave me a bunch of free software (still largely unopened) and I had a number of reads and one meeting from it.

This was a couple years back, though.