Saying hello

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

NBswriting

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there, everyone!

I'm glad to finally be here. I first learned about this website via an article on good writing communities (Link if anyone's interested: https://nybookeditors.com/2015/11/11-top-writing-communities-you-should-join-and-why/ ), and decided to try reaching out through here.

A little about myself: I'm from the United States, born and raised in Massachusetts. For most of my life, I've had a strong love of fiction. Movies, books, comics, videogames, series; if it's engaging, I'm in. As I grew older, I stared thinking more about why I'm drawn to fiction so much. The answer has grown and changed as I have, but my passion hasn't gone anywhere.

School definitely helped kick me in this direction. As early as middle, but especially in high school, I would take creative writing projects farther than I'd usually be expected to. A couple teachers remarked on how I could write about a seemingly run-of-the-mill situation, but put some kind of a wacky twist on top to make things interesting. One teacher even noted that I should consider publishing one of my projects (I didn't). Since then, the question has been prodding at my head: is publishing a written work of mine something I can do?

So, that brings me to today. Living with my fiancé, and a roommate, working a day job at a grocery store, and teaching martial arts by night. While the martial arts are another passion of mine, and I still hold the goal of running a school of my own someday, the question about my writing is still with me. It's been a long series of hills and valleys so far, and I don't expect that to change.

Easily one of the most important lessons I've learned on writing came from a Youtube video (can't remember which one; sorry). I'd picked up a few ideas in the past to try sketching out a proper outline for them, but for some reason, it was never working out. I'd brainstorm, think, "Oh! That's an awesome idea for a story," sit down to outline it, and never get anywhere. I thought there must've been something wrong with me. Until I saw the aforementioned Youtube video. In it, the creator explained the difference between writers who carefully outline their work beforehand (Planners), and writers who jump in and get started on the prose without knowing what they're going to come up with (Pantsers). I definitely fall into the latter category, and learning that was an immense help!

With that knowledge, I started work on my latest project. I've always had a love of fantasy, particularly lighthearted and silly fantasy (my year-long binge of Terry Pratchett novels certainly helped). So, I dove in, taking a simple idea, and working with it relentlessly. I've been building it up for three years now, and it's by far the most massive thing I've ever attempted. It's still got a ways to go. While I've written three drafts, and edited everything down to the last sentence, I'm not convinced it's as good as it can be. I'm hoping to take it further, make it better, and see if I can answer that question.

To anyone who made it this far: thank you for reading! I'm excited to get to know some fellow writers, and experience your work along with mine. I've never beta read before, but am very interested in the idea. If one person takes away one positive thing from whatever I do on this website, then everything I've done here will have been worth it.

Reactions: Izz and Woollybear

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, NBswriting! There are heaps of fantasy writers here, and heaps of pantsters. You're right: each of us has to figure out how we write as well as why we write.

AW has a critique section for established members. Stick around, get involved, write some critiques yourself, and when you've got up to 50 posts, you can ask for critiques on your own work and for beta readers, if that's what you're looking for.

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, nice to meet you! I've also heard that about planners, pantsers, and plantsers, and I am definitely a planner/plantser—meticulously plan out the plot and characters and let their journeys travel out from that point—but I've always admired people who can make up the story as they go along! I think that can lead to some really innovative story solutions, one's not so bogged down by plot conventions and other rules.

I wish you luck here!

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I'm glad to finally be here. I first learned about this website via an article on good writing communities (Link if anyone's interested: https://nybookeditors.com/2015/11/11-top-writing-communities-you-should-join-and-why/ ), and decided to try reaching out through here.

I'm not familiar with all of those and haven't used some of them. [EDIT: I confused Critique Circle for another writing site, and amended my post accordingly. I have checked out CC in the past, which didn't really work for me for other reasons.]

Easily one of the most important lessons I've learned on writing came from a Youtube video (can't remember which one; sorry). I'd picked up a few ideas in the past to try sketching out a proper outline for them, but for some reason, it was never working out. I'd brainstorm, think, "Oh! That's an awesome idea for a story," sit down to outline it, and never get anywhere. I thought there must've been something wrong with me. Until I saw the aforementioned Youtube video. In it, the creator explained the difference between writers who carefully outline their work beforehand (Planners), and writers who jump in and get started on the prose without knowing what they're going to come up with (Pantsers). I definitely fall into the latter category, and learning that was an immense help!

YT is a tremendous resource for free writing education, far superior to most universities (although there's some overlap, since some universities host their lectures online -- Brandon Sanderson has a rather incredible lecture series, which are direct uploads from the same course he's taught at BYU for years... so, even better, you can watch multiple years of the same course if you want to revisit information without seeing the exact same thing; if you're still looking for writing videos, I'd highly recommend those).

With that knowledge, I started work on my latest project. I've always had a love of fantasy, particularly lighthearted and silly fantasy (my year-long binge of Terry Pratchett novels certainly helped). So, I dove in, taking a simple idea, and working with it relentlessly. I've been building it up for three years now, and it's by far the most massive thing I've ever attempted. It's still got a ways to go. While I've written three drafts, and edited everything down to the last sentence, I'm not convinced it's as good as it can be. I'm hoping to take it further, make it better, and see if I can answer that question.

AW has a Share Your Work (SYW) subforum that unlocks after 50 posts if you'd like to get second opinions on it, and in the meantime you're free to comment on other peoples' work in that subforum.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, NBswriting! It's great to meet you :)

You're going to love the forums, I'm sure. AW has everything you need, and then some, to help you improve your craft and help keep you rolling your writing journey. Too, our community is awesome, full of likeminded folk from all over the writing and publishing spectrum, from newbies to established pros. The place is large, and it can be easy to get lost at first, but if you take your time exploring you'll know your way around soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand the rules, etiquette and culture of the forums as a whole and the individual spaces within, too.

You might find our Science Fiction | Fantasy room a good place to start from. Explore, lurk if you want, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards:D
Izz

Krampus Nacht

St. Nicholas and Krampus