Saying hello

PPeterson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pjpeterson.net
Hello. I'm new to the group and just wanted to give a quick(ish) introduction.

Beyond tinkering with writing as a kid, I really began in my early 20's while I was homeless on the wintery streets of Wisconsin. A very nice waitress at the 24-hour diner gave me a set of expensive markers for Christmas (they knew I liked writing and drawing). With those, I sketched out a character. I took all the poor decisions and bad luck of my life and poured them into him. Then I gave him the ability to turn off his emotions and "see" fate so that he'd always know what to do next.

From that, a story was born. I scribbled it into notebooks and on the backs of placemats. Years later, someone was kind enough to take that mess of notes and transcribe it all into a computer. I eventually finished the story and self-published. It was crap. That's not cute self-deprecation. It really was awful.

I pulled it from the market, shelved the idea of writing, and moved to Mexico to co-found an animal rescue organization.

After the glamour of living on the beach in a mansion full of puppies wore off, I realized that I wasn't being paid. I wasn't allowed to leave or have any friends... ah crap, my boss is a human trafficker. Fortunately, he also knew nothing about computers, so I managed to embezzle a few hundred dollars for a plane ticket back to the states.

There I was, pushing 40 and, once again, homeless in Wisconsin. Winter was approaching and I had nothing but a single change of clothes that were intended for a Baja summer.

After about a year, and with the help of some friends, I managed to get back on my feet. Once life's pieces settled back into place, I decided to take another crack at this writing thing. Come to find out, I was actually pretty good. WAY better than the old me.

So I rewrote my novel from scratch. It's finished now, and I'm determined to do things right this time. I'm currently hunting for an agent and have the goal in mind to be a published author by the time I turn 45.

NBswriting

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Even the wackiest of fiction can't come close to the challenges you've been through in real life. I'm glad to hear you're in a better place now. And welcome. I hope your latest shot at writing takes you far.

Reactions: PPeterson

PPeterson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pjpeterson.net
Thanks! I left out the dark childhood and my days in the cult ;) It's certainly been a colorful ride. I like to think of it as inspiration.

Reactions: rileyariel

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

How'd you even come into contact with that guy in Mexico? :oops:

And what sort of stuff do you write?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, PPeterson! It sounds like you have a lot of life experience to draw from when creating drama and tension in your stories.

Whatever you're looking for in terms of a writing community, AW is big enough to have something to interest you.

PPeterson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pjpeterson.net
Welcome.

How'd you even come into contact with that guy in Mexico? :oops:

And what sort of stuff do you write?
Years prior, I was a hobbyist game developer. Our project picked up some steam and caught the attention of investors. The contact I primarily dealt with was a this German guy. They funded us for a couple years before they switched tracks and left us behind.

A couple years later, he contacted me again (out of boredom?). He owned a bunch of properties in Mexico and wanted to start a new business. We were both animal lovers, so we settled on animal rescue.

As for my writing, I tend to write science fantasy. I like to focus more on the sci-fi aspects, but the fantasy elements always manage to creep in.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hello PPeterson, and welcome to AW! It certainly sounds like you have plenty of experiences to draw upon :)

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW is jam-packed with information on all things writing and publishing, and is home to a large community of writerly folk, from newbies to established pros, to hang out with and draw upon. The forums are large, so can be intimidating/overwhelming at first but if you take your time exploring you'll know your way around soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These resources will help you get up to speed with the rules of the forums, as well as the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within. Our number 1 rule is 'Respect Your Fellow Writer,' which means many folks with many different (and strong) opinions are able to get along in spite of their potential differences yet still have robust discussion.

You might find our Novels room to be a good place to start exploring from, and I'm sure you'll find our Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks subforum invaluable, along with the various rooms in our Publishing area.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards!
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.