S.T. Literary Agency / Stylus Literary Agency

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
No one really thinks that Bobby and crew have the brains to hold up thier claims in court? If they did, they'd have to find credible publishers for those they've scammed in record time. Humph!

If they hold them up then doomsday has finally come.

j0s3

How do I get my work back

Hello all. I've come across this site a little late, as I'm in my second year of being 'published' by Publish America. But it gets worse, I just signed a contract with St Literary Agency.

:(

I'm a little wiser now having read all these words (thanks by the way, to all those who take the time to warn the rest of us).

OK - I'm more worried about St Literary Agency (whom somebody described as a 'front' to pirated literature in Asia). I'm at the stage now where they are asking me for administration fees etc (I just paid the initial $129 for the website setup, and yes, I am a moron).

Is there a way in which I can maybe force them to terminate my contract and regain the rights to my novel?

Pulish America - according to their contract - own my novel for another 5 years.

Thanks for all your help
Jose

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
From j0s3
How do I get my work back
Hello all. I've come across this site a little late, as I'm in my second year of being 'published' by Publish America. But it gets worse, I just signed a contract with St Literary Agency.

:(

I'm a little wiser now having read all these words (thanks by the way, to all those who take the time to warn the rest of us).

OK - I'm more worried about St Literary Agency (whom somebody described as a 'front' to pirated literature in Asia). I'm at the stage now where they are asking me for administration fees etc (I just paid the initial $129 for the website setup, and yes, I am a moron).

Is there a way in which I can maybe force them to terminate my contract and regain the rights to my novel?

Pulish America - according to their contract - own my novel for another 5 years.

Thanks for all your help
Jose

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Yo,Eraser, I assume you posted this for someone?

aka eraser said:

There isn't a market for American slush in Asia. And if ST (Stylus Literary Agency) could sell a book anywhere they wouldn't need to be scammers.

You haven't lost the rights.

Just refuse to pay any more money and Stylus (ST) will forget all about you. Victoria might have some info on how to get 'em to refund the $129. Contact her for that.

You signed with PublishAmerica too? Sorry to hear that.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
aka eraser said:
The contract gives you the right to cancel after 90 days, so you can do that no matter what. As Uncle Jim said, you haven't lost the rights to your novel. Literary agents don't take rights to your work (they just try to sell those rights to others).

I've heard from writers who've been successful in getting a contract termination before the 90-day period just by asking. ST also seems to be pretty good about giving refunds, because it wants to keep itself in good standing with the BBB. You can try writing to ST asking for a contract termination and a refund, mentioning the negatives you've found online. You can also send a cc to the local BBB (here's its website).

- Victoria

dink

Registered
Reaction score
Might it be a good idea to change the title of this thread to S.T. Literary Agency, now known as Stylus Literary Agency? It'd be helpful for the people who are going to come along with no prior knowledge of the old S.T. name.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
j0s3 said:
Thanks all for your suggestions - and thanks victoria for the tip (BBB).

I have to say though, I checked St Literary out in the BBB's national database and... had I seen that to begin with I would never have had reservations about them

http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&strBCode=06330000&ComID=0633000031000490

"Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau."

Oh well...
The BBB is next to useless for this stuff. They have a long dishonorable history of giving clean bills of health to scam agents and vanity publishers, even when they're so over-the-top evil that they're being actively targeted by law enforcement.

I wouldn't worry too much about that contract with Sydra/S.T./Stylus. I mean, sure, if you can get your money back, by all means go for it. But these guys are flat-out professional scammers. If there's no money to be gotten from you, they're not going to (as they see it) waste their time and effort on you.

Believe me, they're not going to do anything with your book.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Fletcher said:
At this time the process that Ms. Strauss decries as a foul scam has 68 manuscripts under request by publishers, 3 book contracts in negotiation, and 3 movie options in various stages of negotiation. Our lead author from Italy has just finished a US book tour and is a finalist in the Ben Franklin awards in New York. His work has now sold German and Australian and UK rights ... The totals given above are referenceable and documentable. We have to document everything given the scrutiny that we live under.
Woohoo!

A manuscript "under request" is nothing, absolutely nothing.

Three contracts supposedly "in negotiation," but none sufficiently complete that you can talk about them by name, is a pathetically thin piece of flimflam. Sydra/ST/Stylus has been around for years. Can it be that they're just now getting around to negotiating some contracts? Naaaah. They never get out there and sell books. Those three contract negotiations don't exist.

To cap it all off, a "lead author" (Fletcher's use of industry terms is Publishing As She Is Spoke) who's just finished a US book tour and is a finalist for some award, but whose name his own agent never gets around to mentioning, is a plain and simple impossibility.

If you surgically removed the mouth and throat from the corpse of a real but dead agent, then ran a galvanic current through it, the mouth would automatically say "Let me tell you about my authors."
Robert Fletcher said:
We are beginning a series of lawsuits against her and other bulletin board moderators and posters.
Awwwww. That's so cute. Takes me back, it does. Some of the earliest thrashes I got into on the AW boards featured Robert Fletcher spouting his usual mixture of empty threats, legal gobbledegook, and imitation publishing-speak.

(Hiya, RF! Remember me? Didn't we have fun back then? I did, at any rate.

I like the latest gobbledegook. It still doesn't sound like a real letter from a real lawyer, but it flows well, and the grammar mostly parses. I expect it does fool some people, though, so you're still in peril of going to Hell for writing it. Please govern yourself accordingly.)
victoriastrauss: said:
Quoting CaoPaux, who quoted Sydra/ST/Stylus's own press release: "The Literary Agency Group, Inc. (LAG) announces the acquisition of ST Literary Agency. Mrs. Jennifer Dublino is being promoted to Corporate CEO, and Ms. Georgina Orr is promoted to Corporate - Senior Agent."

This is such crap. The Literary Agent Group is Robert Fletcher (Children's Literary Agency is also "a division" of The Literary Agency Group). It's just a consolidation of all the scams under one umbrella.
Didn't PianoTuna establish that Jennifer Dublino doesn't exist? It makes me dubious about Ms. Georgina Orr. Real people don't commonly hang out with fake ones.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
HapiSofi said:
Didn't PianoTuna establish that Jennifer Dublino doesn't exist? It makes me dubious about Ms. Georgina Orr. Real people don't commonly hang out with fake ones.
Interesting. The BBB site lists the CEO as Jennifer Dublind. I wonder if it's a typo the part of the BBB or ST just not keeping its story straight.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
j0s3 said:
http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&strBCode=06330000&ComID=0633000031000490

"Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau."

What that means is that the company has responded to complaints. The way you drop out of the BBB's good graces is by stonewalling or ignoring complaints.

That's why you include the BBB in your correspondence. Fletcher will do anything to keep that "satisfactory" rating, so he'll have to respond.

=============

Hapi's quite right about the general uselessness of the BBB, at least in the case of scam agents. I know of one who still had a "satisfactory" rating with their BBB the day the cops arrived to box up everything in the agent's office for evidence.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It truly saddens to know that so many people are still scammed by PA or Stylus... if only they had come to AW first...

These scammers need to die.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Hapi's quite right about the general uselessness of the BBB, at least in the case of scam agents. I know of one who still had a "satisfactory" rating with their BBB the day the cops arrived to box up everything in the agent's office for evidence.
Yeah. 99.9% of the dubious agents and publishers on Writer Beware's watchlist have clean records with the BBB.
I'm not certain PianoTuna demonstrated the non-existence of Ms. Dublino. I think there's sufficient out there to say that a person by that name was once the secretary to a dubious lawyer somehow connected to the music industry, currently living in Boca Raton.
Also, if you check the State of Florida's incorporation records, Jennifer Dublino is corporate officer/registered agent for several corporations. Go here and do a search on "Dublino, Jennifer". The results are...interesting.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
victoriastrauss said:
Also, if you check the State of Florida's incorporation records, Jennifer Dublino is corporate officer/registered agent for several corporations. Go here and do a search on "Dublino, Jennifer".

Excellent catch, Victoria!

It used to be that most writers knew only a few other writers from local writing groups. Most didn't know how or where to check into the background of a business, especially one out of state. Now the Internet and electronic search tools are available to just about everyone. The playing field is more level than it's ever been for writers when it comes to exposing scams and avoiding them.

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
victoriastrauss said:
Guess what? I got the letter.

It's word for word the same as what Mr. Fletcher posted here, with just one teensy difference--the date. In Mr. Fletcher's post, the date was April 15, but the date (and postmark) on the copy I received is April 22--the very day Mr. Fletcher posted here. Hmmmm.

- Victoria

Hey, Victoria... you didn't say if you responded to the letter... and and and the DEADLINE IS UP!!!!!

rosebutterfly

Make that 2 saved.

I came looking for info after The Children's Literary Agency (ST under another name?) asked for my m/s.

I'm so glad I'm naturally cynical.

Rose

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
If you check the State of Florida's incorporation records, Jennifer Dublino is corporate officer/registered agent for several corporations. Go here and do a search on "Dublino, Jennifer". The results are...interesting.
Interesting? Yes. What do you want to bet that the State of Florida doesn't require that in order for someone to be listed as the corporate officer/registered agent, they have to show up in person with a valid picture ID?

I've spent some time poking around in the areas PianoTuna mentioned. I can't guarantee that he was right, but everything I found on the Dublinos was a loosely controlled or anonymously authored online record. The Dublinos were otherwise incorporeal.

PianoTuna said there was identifiable fraud committed in the attempt to establish the existence of Anthony Dublino. As PT pointed out, Anthony Dublino was, in one loosely-controlled online directory, listed as an executive at CoSite, a real company. CoSite was a Boca Raton dotcom that made good, got bought out by CEMEX, and moved out of the country. Claiming Dublino had worked for them was clever: CoSite was a plausible employer for him, but it was no longer possible to ask them about his time there.

As I understand it, the reason PianoTuna decided Anthony Dublino hadn't worked for CoSite was that (1.) he was listed in that directory as one of four guys in a department, and none of the other three had any other detectable existence; and (2.) the office address given for CoSite in that listing has no other recorded connection with the company.

That is: You get into one of those online directories that'll let you enter your own information. You list your spoof identity plus three other invented guys as a four-man department in a company that has since left town. You give your mail service's address as the office address -- how often do people check to see whether an old no-longer-valid address was one the company actually used? Result: there's a plausible-looking online listing that says that Anthony Dublino once had an actual job at an actual company.

I found one reference to Jennifer Dublino having once been employed, again at a company that had since gone out of business. The record was on the website of a national academic olympics thingy. The listing was for people who'd volunteered to let their company's offices be used as meeting space for organizing the local instantiation of these academic olympics. Poking around further, I found that this list of people who'd volunteered space was posted months before the Florida meeting was supposed to happen, but that anyone who'd volunteered their offices could still bow out up to two weeks before the meeting date. If you volunteered, then cancelled in time, it would create a plausible-looking online record.

That attorney Jennifer Dublino supposedly worked for does seem to be real, but ... I don't know exactly how to say this, but there's something very odd about him. He's a real guy whose connections are mostly unreal, and when they aren't unreal, they're weird. It's like he's constantly surrounded by a cloud of ghosts and shadows.

The other peculiar thing about Fletcher is that while he appears to be connected to a warehouse's worth of smoke and mirrors, almost none of it has anything to do with his publishing scams.

Thus for the information that's there; onward to the information that isn't.

I'll grant that there are people who go through this world without leaving footprints. They aren't agents. A working literary agent is informationally leaky. They give people their cards. They enter into negotiations. They make dates with editors. People talk with agents, and they talk about them. They submit stuff to them, and complain about the response time. They invite them to speak to their writers' groups. They ask questions about them online. They mention them in their acknowledgements.

Let's step back from the question of whether Sydra/ST/Stylus is a legitimate agency. If they're doing any significant amount of business (which, alas, they seem to be), and if Jennifer Dublino were there in the midst of it, there'd be little fossil records of interactions with her all over the Net. Those fossils don't exist. Google will show you lots of people having interactions with Robert Fletcher, but no one having interactions with Jennifer Dublino.

I have serious trouble believing in the existence of a working agent who never talks to anyone, never meets with anyone, is not gossiped about by anyone, and has no identifiable role in any negotiations or deals.

rosebutterfly

your welcome

Your welcome:D

Now i'm looking out for a recomended agent for my childrens novel.

carwax

St Literary Agency has changed spots again

I'm new here, so if this has been discussed, please forgive me. I was approached by ST Lit. quite a while ago for representation. Not being naive, I researched them in this forum and was shocked at what was written about them. I declined their offer. The whole fee thing bothered me anyway...
I recently looked on their site for pure entertainment purposes and saw they changed their name again...
They are now known as Stylus Literary Agency.
Same people, Same fee, Same old story...
Please feel free to comment :)

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
CarWax,

They have changed thier name, and the thread in this forum (B and B checks) is noted. I believe that Victoria added the name to the thread's title about a week ago, so that newbies entering could easily find the 411 on these sharks and lowlifes of the underworld.

Do go over to it, and see how the discussion has progressed. Now that alone is sheer entertainment. Fletcher even sent Victoria a letter demanding that she should remove her harsh words against them (being ST).

A.