S.T. Literary Agency / Stylus Literary Agency

paladinb

Registered
Reaction score
cry for help from a uk author

I sent my manuscript to stylus over a week ago and they sent and email and a questionaire this week saying it was a pre conract form. I haven't sent his back yet but I decided to do a search online and came to this site so my questions are.

What's the deal with these guys ? should I be worried?

What steps should I take now?

Should I get my manuscript copywrited ?

Many thanks

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
paladinb said:
What's the deal with these guys ? should I be worried?

The deal is that they have no evidence that they have ever sold a manuscript to anyone on their own. Instead, they will ask for money - for editing, web hosting, and anything else they can think of. But none of this money will lead to a sale. You will be better off either pitching the manuscript yourself or getting another agent, as representation by Stylus will not sell your manuscript.

What steps should I take now?

Since you have not signed a contract with them, this is a good time to back out. Just tell them you won't have any further dealings with them. Then go either find another agent or find a publisher.

Should I get my manuscript copywrited ?

Many thanks

No. You already have a copyright without registering it. Professional authors do not register their own copyrights; their publisher does this for them once their manuscript is accepted. Since looking like a pro is important to getting published, not registering you copyright is the best course of action.

I know you might be worried that Stylus might steal your manuscript and sell it elsewhere without your consent, since they have such a bad reputation. Don't worry about this; they are incompetant enough when it comes to agenting that they cannot find a buyer for a manuscript, stolen or not.

paladinb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advice, it's much appreciated. All seemed so legit and was a great boost after several rejections from other agents here in the uk, feeling pretty stupid at the moment.

ah well tomorrow's back to the drawing board:box:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
paladinb, if you use the Search function on this site, you'll find some excellent advice (and links) on how to conduct an agent search, written by experts.

Good luck and best wishes.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
paladinb said:
. . . back to the drawing board:box:

Don't feel stupid. You did exactly the right thing: you researched the agency before you went any further with them. That's a LOT more than some people do.

Now you can concentrate your efforts on locating the right agency for your material. I recommend visiting Preditors and Editors and read up on agencies and how to contact them. I'll be doing the exact same thing myself in a few months.

Good luck and please keep us updated. Be sure to visit the other forums while you're here.

underthecity

paladinb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments I've never registered on a writer's forum before but I will be coming back to this one.

Up until now I've been using the writers and artists yearbook to go through their list of agents it a very useful book if no one hasn't already mentioned it.

Again thanks from the UK

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Writers' and Artists' Yearbook is a pub in the UK. The US equivalent is Writers' Market.

For far more on getting agents: Everything You Wanted To Know About Literary Agents

The basic rule: A useful agent has sold books you've heard of.

About seeking agents: Don't ask whether an agent is bad enough to get scratched off your list; ask if he is good enough to be put on your list.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
paladinb said:
Thanks for the comments I've never registered on a writer's forum before but I will be coming back to this one.

Up until now I've been using the writers and artists yearbook to go through their list of agents it a very useful book if no one hasn't already mentioned it.

Again thanks from the UK

Have you read Carole Blake's excellent book "From Pitch to Publication"? If not try and get hold of it. Lots of useful advice. Also, why not subscribe to Writers' News. They often have information on newly established agents open for clients - that's how I found my first agent

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Folks please don't post the email address or name of a correspondent such as Simon G above unless permission has been granted. This is a public board regularly visited by search engine spiders and other less-benign seekers of info.

If the body of the email is relevant to the discussion, then by all means post it, but please omit identifying details.

skeptical_sparky

The Newbe

My wife submitted full manuscript to the well-maintained information on this forum, ST Literary. This was after she had asked me if I can find any nasty garbage on them, I told her that they don't have any bad marks from the BBB. So naturally, I feel like rancid dogmeat after reading this thread.

She asked me to check into Stylus Literary after she received an email from them asking for $150 ontop of the $129 that she had already paid them. To see the hurt in her eyes after I told her what St Literary/Stylus was up to, devastated me last night. So, now, I am going to help her find a "for-real" agent.

Thank you all for the hours of wonderful, mind-opening reading last night.

Jeff

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Skeptical_sparky: So sorry to hear about your wife's negative experience, but I'm very glad that you found this thread before you all sent them more money! Feel free to poke around Absolute Write as much as you can--you should find all sorts of helpful tips and information for finding that "for real" agent for your wife. Much luck to you both!

skeptical_sparky

Kasey Mackenzie said:
Skeptical_sparky: So sorry to hear about your wife's negative experience, but I'm very glad that you found this thread before you all sent them more money! Feel free to poke around Absolute Write as much as you can--you should find all sorts of helpful tips and information for finding that "for real" agent for your wife. Much luck to you both!

Thank you Kasey, already started poking around a little bit.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
writers news

paladinb said:
how do i go about subscribing to writer's news?

For your information, Writers News is the main writers' print magazine in the UK. It is published monthly, with lots of news, publishing opps, market info etc. In addition, every two months you get Writing Magazine, which is also on sale in the magazine stands (W H Smith etc).. the latter is all about the actual practice of writing. I was a subscriber for several years and it was really a delight every month when it plpped through the mailbox.

Last edited:

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
skeptical_sparky said:
My wife submitted full manuscript to the well-maintained information on this forum, ST Literary. This was after she had asked me if I can find any nasty garbage on them, I told her that they don't have any bad marks from the BBB. So naturally, I feel like rancid dogmeat after reading this thread.

She asked me to check into Stylus Literary after she received an email from them asking for $150 ontop of the $129 that she had already paid them. To see the hurt in her eyes after I told her what St Literary/Stylus was up to, devastated me last night. So, now, I am going to help her find a "for-real" agent.

Thank you all for the hours of wonderful, mind-opening reading last night.

Jeff

Awww Jeff, you sound very sweet and caring. I'm sure you have no reason to feel badly and I'm sure your wife appreciates your concern.
I had only queried Stylus and was thrilled when I got back all of the "positive" responses. My hubby was a great support for me too when I "googled" and found this board. The information here was overwhelming.
However, I found a great resource as did you. This board is great! Now, just get some good choices to send queries to get your wife back on track. Don't let this discourage her efforts.

Last edited:

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
And, of course, most important of all while you are looking for a reputable agent--make sure that she gets to work on the next writing project ASAP! That is the best way to improve one's writing skills and, even if the current book fails to interest an agent or publisher, that does not mean a future book won't be the one to succeed. So make sure she writes, writes, writes and never gives up. Keep sending out those queries, no matter how many rejections accumulate, until you finally succeed in finding a great agent to represent you. (In this case, your wife.)

ymmatrysk

Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
Folks please don't post the email address or name of a correspondent such as Simon G above unless permission has been granted. This is a public board regularly visited by search engine spiders and other less-benign seekers of info.

If the body of the email is relevant to the discussion, then by all means post it, but please omit identifying details.

Oy, sorry! My bad. Did it all too fast, hope no harm was done, none was intended.

Jen

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
skeptical_sparky said:
My wife submitted ...asked me to check into Stylus Literary after she received an email from them asking for $150 ontop of the $129 that she had already paid them.

Would you mind posting that second e-mail for us? I think we have enough samples of the $129 solicitation already.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
ymmatrysk said:
I almost fell for the whole ST thing, and I did end up using the editor they suggested. I probably was duped, but at least it got some of my basic editing done (bright side?). Anyway, I just got an email from someone wanting a referrel for them (My Editor is a Saint). I really don't have anything bad to say about them (the editorial group, I have nothing good to say about ST!),

My Editor is a Saint is the same scam as Stylus/ST. All the money goes to Robert Fletcher. So, yes, you do have bad things to say about them.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
LloydBrown said:
skeptical_sparky said:
My wife submitted ...asked me to check into Stylus Literary after she received an email from them asking for $150 ontop of the $129 that she had already paid them.
Would you mind posting that second e-mail for us? I think we have enough samples of the $129 solicitation already.
For a little while, Stylus/ST was charging $150 "per marketing cycle" in addition to the $129 for intake and website creation. This lump sum (the $150) was the successor to the previous fee structure ($14 per submission, with submissions sent out in batches of 10). They'd rook you for at most four rounds of submissions, or four "marketing cycles", before bowing out. One of the ways in which Stylus's scheme is clever is that they don't string clients along indefinitely (thus avoiding the kind of egregious exploitation that has been the downfall of many scammers, including the recently-indicted Martha Ivery). Four strikes, and you're out.

As of early 2005, they changed their M.O. yet again. They now appear to be concentrating on the mandatory critique, with expensive editing jobs (to the tune of $2,000) to follow. I'm not clear on whether or not they're still charging the $150 or the $129.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
I've noticed that several of the most recent victims have been from the UK. Do we know what Fletcher's doing over there to target these folks so aggressively?
Not yet, but I don't doubt he's betting that UK's greater acceptance of paid critiquing will allow him to reel them in by the boatload.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
LloydBrown said:
I've noticed that several of the most recent victims have been from the UK. Do we know what Fletcher's doing over there to target these folks so aggressively?
IMO, it's just serendipity. Stylus advertises all over the Internet, as well as in writers' magazines; that's how most writers find them. The people I hear from (up to 30 a week, taking into account all Stylus's various aliases) come from all over, including India and South Africa. I haven't noticed any particular uptick in UK writers.

- Victoria

christydm

Stylus are NOT bbb members like they claim!

I was also accepted by Stylus. They said you could have a 3rd party critique, but when you do, they refuse to use it and insist you use their writer's literary service. That's a new way of them to get money from you. Also, in thier contract they say they are members of the southeast fl BBB, well they are NOT. The BBB says they are not members. Don't get involved with them! You can't trust a company that lies about being BBB members when they aren't!