RWA and RT Convention

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new so let me know if this doesn't belong here, but I wanted to know if there were any members of RWA on this forum and is anyone was going to the upcoming RT Convention in Reno or the RWA convention in Colorado. I'm heading to the RT Convention and would love to talk about our mutual love or romance and writing in person if it is possible!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'll be at RT. I'll probably have to skip RWA this year (too close to a trip to Europe) unless a miracle happens and I'm a RITA finalist. :ROFL:

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be at RT. I'll probably have to skip RWA this year (too close to a trip to Europe) unless a miracle happens and I'm a RITA finalist. :ROFL:

Yeah, I've committed to RT this year and there just isn't enough in my budget for RWA. But I wanna go sooo bad. >.<

- - - Updated - - -

Well, welcome to RWA. I've been a member for a few years now and haven't made it to RWA. I want to though! Maybe next year.

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
I'm skipping RT this year (just not feeling it) but I'll be going to RWA for the first time instead.

I hope you have fun at RWA. This will be my first time going to RT Convention, but can't shuffle up the money to attend RWA AND RT. Wish they BOTH weren't so expensive.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I might go to RWA. Haven't decided yet. I went in 2015 and had a bit of a mental breakdown there, but hopefully I'd be able to handle it better now.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
As someone who is unpublished, I always wondered if it was worth it to even join RWA, or to attend any conferences. It kind of feels like going to the prom without a date...at another high school.

Obligatory Mean Girls quote. "She doesn't even go here!"

Will it help my writing/career significantly? Or will I just feel like an awkward dork who doesn't belong?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having been to RT several times, I can say yes, it's worth going if you're looking to get published. There are several panels on honing your craft, approaching different tropes of the genre, publishing and business trends, and many opportunities to meet with agents and editors if you're ready to pitch and submit. You'll also have the chance to meet other people and network so I recommend going if you're able.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Although I wasn't a member and didn't even know what the hell I wanted to write that first RWA conference, I was welcomed with open arms. But I do think it's good to attend with a writer friend if only to have someone to decompress with at the end of each day and compare notes.

And the pitching opportunities are becoming more scarce at both conferences. I'm not sure how many publishers are even attending RT this year. I know Avon isn't and at least one other big Five.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin's role at RT seems to have diminished, if not outright vanished, since I first attended back in 2011. They co-sponsored one of the big evening parties a few times and I couldn't even find a mention of them in last year's program; Kensington co-sponsored a party Thursday night and Dreamspinner the big FAN-tastic Day bash Saturday afternoon. Looking at this year's agenda, there are twelve publisher spotlights over the course of two days, and they'll have the usual agent/editor appointments available but Pitch-A-Palooza is gone (don't think it ran last year, either. I only remember 2014 in New Orleans because I participated and later humiliated myself with a substandard ms I hadn't even bothered finishing two drastically needed rewrites, I was in such a hurry to get it out). Some of the usual evening parties are mostly sponsored by groups of authors rather than publishers this year, one being a fundraiser for a charitable organization, so it looks like publishers have mostly pulled out, I'd say?

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
I probably should go, though I'd like to have at least a first draft of my new novel completed. I'd love to make connections, especially with real life writers, because it's hard to find quality beta readers in the rural area I live...

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
The closest one is 2 hours away, so doable, but challenging with my toddler and infant in the mix...

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
I've only been to one other writing conference and it was definitely a educational experience. A lot of it wasn't really my cup of tea I did get to hear from some amazing speakers and bonded with my fellow writers. I'm hopeful that RT (and someday RWA) will be the same since I'll be surrounded by people who actually know my genre. The good news is, everyone has read almost all the same books so if nothing else we can bond over being booklovers.

My only gripe is that conference, not just these two, are huge financial commitments. Why do they have to be so expensive? :Shrug:

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
In comparison to what one would pay for a chapter conference or a workshop, you really are getting quite a bit of bang for your buck, at least when it comes to RWA. Our chapter has Chuck Wendig coming in next month to do a one-day writing workshop at $150 a person. Chicago-North's Spring Fling conference is $250 for two days. And while it's a fantastic conference, it won't have the number of workshop options the national conference does.

What is great about the RWA conference is that as long as you're a member you can buy the conference recordings. That's what I did when I didn't have the funds to attend. I went through the list, picked the specific ones I wanted to hear, and spent only about $30. Shoot, our chapter buys the recordings every year and they are available to our membership. So even those I could get for free if I wanted.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
I started looking into becoming a member and signing up for the conference, and now my palms are all sweaty. My husband told me we can make it work, but I'm still incredibly intimidated.

Fake it 'til you make it?

Karasue

Registered
Reaction score
I started looking into becoming a member and signing up for the conference, and now my palms are all sweaty. My husband told me we can make it work, but I'm still incredibly intimidated.

Fake it 'til you make it?

Zombolly, I've been a member for almost three years and haven't attended an RWA conference. Don't feel pressured. I'd join and see if it is your cup of tea. Like CEtchison said above, you can buy recordings of previous RWA panels for a reasonable price. That's what I've been doing and they are really great!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Zombolly, I've been a member for almost three years and haven't attended an RWA conference. Don't feel pressured. I'd join and see if it is your cup of tea. Like CEtchison said above, you can buy recordings of previous RWA panels for a reasonable price. That's what I've been doing and they are really great!

^^This. You can probably attend a couple of meetings at your "local" chapter as a guest for a nominal fee and see if you like the ambience before committing to join.

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score

That's probably what I'm going to do. I'm going to wade in slowly. :)

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
I went to the RWA convention in 2015. My first convention ever, and I went to the big one, in the Big Apple. I used to hide in my room and quiver with nerves.

But the first time you go, they give you a ribbon that says "First Timer" so that people will make a point to be nice to you and chat with you and make sure not lost, whatever. It's true that people were all very nice to me. But I've noticed that most romance writers /are/ very supportive.