Russian and Eastern Bloc Sci-fi

Bonehead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muckrack.com
We started talking about the Strugatsky brothers over in the New Members threads and Maryn suggested opening up a thread over here. I know of Stanislaw Lem, Yevgeny Zamyatin, and Jerzy Zulawski (who I've never read but hope to), but I'm sure there are many more books and authors for me to find so please suggest any of your favourites!

From me, I loved Definitely Maybe and The Time Wanderers by the Strugatskys. They're two books about odd occurences and higher level beings, but with a good sense of humor! I do hope that more people will read them.

• Love
Reactions: Fi Webster

Infinimata

only connect
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.infinimata.com
I'm thrilled the Strugatskys are getting their work reissued in new, unexpurgated translations. I always knew, even when reading them as a kid, that I wasn't reading what they actually wrote.

I recently picked up Zulawski's "Lunar Trilogy" (also the source for the truly bonkers movie "On The Silver Globe"), and while I've been enjoying it immensely, the production values for the English translation are terrible -- inconsistent typesetting, typos, etc.

Lem -- what can I say? He's long been one of my top three SF authors, along with Philip K. Dick and Theodore Sturgeon. As with the Strugatskys I was elated to see a proper retranslation of "Solaris" come to the market.

I would also like to see more work, if any, in Czech (e.g., Karel Capek)

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I like the films by Andrei Tarkovsky . So, I have tried reading Roadside Picnic by Arkady &Boris Strugatsky and Solarise by Lem; sadly, I find the books deeply dull .

Bonehead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muckrack.com
I would also like to see more work, if any, in Czech (e.g., Karel Capek)
Karel Capek is new to me, any reccomendations? And The Lunar Trilogy! I can't wait to read it, sorry to hear the production is weak.
I like the films by Andrei Tarkovsky . So, I have tried reading Roadside Picnic by Arkady &Boris Strugatsky and Solarise by Lem; sadly, I find the books deeply dull .
I love the films too! But you're right, that's no guarantee you'll like the books. Do you have any eastern bloc books (or films) that you prefer?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Roadside Picnic! :heart::heart::heart:
Some of their works are not my style. Monday Begins on Saturday and Hard to be a God depressed the hell out of me, but they wrote a few that I reread on a semi-regular basis, RP at the top of that list.

I've read some Capek and Lem. Chekhov put me off Russian lit for years for the same 'depressed the hell out of me' reason.

A film I highly recommend is Ikarie XB1. A Czech movie from 1963. Do NOT watch the hacked-up US version Voyage to the End of the Universe. YouTube has the original with subtitles.

• Love
Reactions: Bonehead

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Jerzy Zulawski (who I've never read but hope to),
Oh, please do! I remember reading On the Silver Globe when I was quite little, maybe eleven years old or so, and it made such an impression on me! I remember it was very sad, and made me a bit depressed.

I didn't like Lem, I think I only read some short stories about robots; The Star Diaries was required reading in secondary school, but I think I managed not to read it. (Sorry... maybe I will try Lem again.)

I'm sure there are many more books and authors for me to find so please suggest any of your favourites!
Not my favorite yet, but I recently bought The Life of Insects by Victor Pelevin, and I think it looks mad interesting.

:troll

• Wow
Reactions: Bonehead

Infinimata

only connect
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.infinimata.com
I didn't like Lem, I think I only read some short stories about robots; The Star Diaries was required reading in secondary school, but I think I managed not to read it. (Sorry... maybe I will try Lem again.)
The Star Diaries was my first Lem, and I think that might have been the best way to get to know him in all his variations. He could be rollicking and Rabelasian; he could be philosophical; he could be wickedly satirical; he could be all of the above at once.

Bonehead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muckrack.com
A film I highly recommend is Ikarie XB1. A Czech movie from 1963.
I took a peep at it and it looks great, thanks for the recommendation!
I recently bought The Life of Insects by Victor Pelevin, and I think it looks mad interesting.
Great, thank you! We can have a thread here once we've read it!
The Star Diaries was my first Lem, and I think that might have been the best way to get to know him in all his variations.
My first (and only) Lem was Solaris, so I'll have to read this too. Thanks :)

buirechain

Caution: (tries to) Walk on Water
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed both the Strugatsky's and Lem (and should really look into others). I have to say that I've enjoyed the Strugatsky's more after learning about their subversive politics. I don't think they weren't anti communist per se, but were against their country's leadership. It made reading the Doomed City last year in the background of the Russian invasion of Ukraine delightful. They wrote that book in the 70s and hid it until it was safe to publish in the late 80s.

On the other hand, I have no clue how they got Monday Begins on Saturday (my personal favorite of theirs) and its sequel past the censor inspite of the clear ridicule these books aimed at Soviet bureaucracy.

Reactions: Infinimata

Bonehead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muckrack.com
I've enjoyed both the Strugatsky's and Lem (and should really look into others). I have to say that I've enjoyed the Strugatsky's more after learning about their subversive politics. I don't think they weren't anti communist per se, but were against their country's leadership. It made reading the Doomed City last year in the background of the Russian invasion of Ukraine delightful. They wrote that book in the 70s and hid it until it was safe to publish in the late 80s.

On the other hand, I have no clue how they got Monday Begins on Saturday (my personal favorite of theirs) and its sequel past the censor inspite of the clear ridicule these books aimed at Soviet bureaucracy.
Yes! I recently read Hard to be a God and enjoyed the parallels between the protagonist and the Strugatskys as writers in the Soviet Union (and the Afterword spoke on this in great detail). ((Also I’ll have to give Monday Begins another shot))

And you’re right, it’s amazing how they got these past censors. It reminds me of Mo Yan’s book The Republic of Wine, which I read and thought the same thing.

BronzeRadio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised no one here has mentioned Dmitry Glukhovsky yet. His Metro 2033 and its sequels is probably one of the most successful international hits Russia has produced this century. Technically it's not soviet because it was published in 2002, but Glukhovsky grew up though the collapse of the Soviet government, and it's all over his work. Metro has produced an enjoyable RPG xbox game and there's a movie adaption coming.

Also, Glukhovsky has spoken out against Russia's unprovoked crime of a war in Ukraine, and is currently on their federal wanted list. If he's captured and redentioned by Russian forces could face 15 years in a Russian prison. So, I feel like I can recommend him with a clean conscious.

Bonehead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muckrack.com
I'm kinda surprised no one here has mentioned Dmitry Glukhovsky yet. His Metro 2033 and its sequels is probably one of the most successful international hits Russia has produced this century.
I forgot the games were based on books, I''ll definitely give him a read.

And when I looked him up I found this collection of Soviet Sci-fi edited by Judith Merril: Path Into the Unknown: The Best Soviet Science Fiction; Which looks great, so I thank you doubly. :D