RIP LeifWright

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
LeifWright wasn't extraordinarily active here, and hadn't logged in since '19, but he was still writing and maintaining his local news site.

He was found dead in his house on August 3rd after a welfare check. No cause of death has been announced yet; there will be an autopsy.

We'd traded PMs a few times right after I discovered that he lived in the same town I did. Unfortunately, we never got together.

He'd been a copy editor and associate editor of the Muskogee Phoenix for several years and according to his Amazon bio, "the winner of numerous Associated Press journalism awards and recipient of the prestigious Best of Gannett Award for the investigative series "Shout at the Devil." Aside from that, he also ran what he called a "hyper-local new site," where he'd often scoop the Phoenix. He was also arguing with the state about whether his site could be considered a "paper of record" for the purposes of publishing legal notices. I think he lost that one, though he kept up the fight.

Leif published about half a dozen books, including Robby the R-Word, A Wizard's Secrets, and the non-fiction Deadly Vows: The True Story of a Zealous Preacher, A Polygamous Union and a Savage Murder, and ghostwrote a bunch more.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
May he rest in peace. He sounds like he was an interesting, well-versed, intelligent man.

Reactions: cmhbob and MaeZe

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember him - especially when he was working on his novel "Robby the R Word."

I wish his loved ones comfort and peace

Reactions: cmhbob

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember him too. I was actually just wondering about him the other day, not having seen him around here for so long.

Rest in peace.

Reactions: cmhbob