zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Jay Lake passed away this morning. This is a huge loss to the SFF and writing and human communities. He was a tenacious, generous, wonderful person, and he fought a damned good fight right up to the end.

Rest in peace, Jay.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Jay Lake passed away this morning. This is a huge loss to the SFF and writing and human communities. He was a tenacious, generous, wonderful person, and he fought a damned good fight right up to the end.

Rest in peace, Jay.

R.I.P. indeed, just five days before his fiftieth birthday. No age to go. He faced his end very bravely.

I never met Jay, nor corresponded with him, but I do know people who had met him and who knew him well. My condolences to Jay's family and his many friends.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Jay didn't know me from Adam, but I friended him on Facebook (he friended back) and I got to follow his brave struggle. I admire him for how he was able to chronicle his journey for as long as he did. May he RIP.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I first met Jay in person at Kris and Dean's house, back in 2005. He bought a story from me when I thought I'd lost all momentum. He blurbed my book, gave me tons of encouragement, and was just amazing. I last visited him in November 2012, right before he went into his third round of chemo.

And it hurts like hell to use the past tense.

*grieves*

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm very sad to hear that he's lost his battle with cancer. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Cascade Writer's workshop in 2012, shortly before he learned that his cancer had returned. I followed his blog during his fight, and attended his pre-humous wake at last year's Cascade Writers. Damn it, if anyone deserved to beat the thing, he did. He had a great sense of humor and was a brave man who continued to reach out to others when many would have withdrawn from the world. Good Journeys, Jay.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Up until he died, Hal Clement was at every single SFF convention I'd ever attended, bar none. I reached the point where, when I arrived at a con, I'd find myself starting to look for Hal, and the moment I spotted him, it was like the con had really begun. I still have half an eye out for him, even though I know intellectually he's long since gone.

I deeply regret that my path never crossed in person with Jay's, but I'm thinking maybe it'd be a great thing if everyone whose lives he touched directly or indirectly added a Hawaiian shirt to their con wardrobe, as an ongoing reminder of how we are a community together, despite our differences and disputes, and we can and should celebrate and remember the people who did good in our midst with such indomitable humor and courage and spirit.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Up until he died, Hal Clement was at every single SFF convention I'd ever attended, bar none. I reached the point where, when I arrived at a con, I'd find myself starting to look for Hal, and the moment I spotted him, it was like the con had really begun. I still have half an eye out for him, even though I know intellectually he's long since gone.

I deeply regret that my path never crossed in person with Jay's, but I'm thinking maybe it'd be a great thing if everyone whose lives he touched directly or indirectly added a Hawaiian shirt to their con wardrobe, as an ongoing reminder of how we are a community together, despite our differences and disputes, and we can and should celebrate and remember the people who did good in our midst with such indomitable humor and courage and spirit.

+1.

I'd suggest suggesting this on twitter.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Excellent idea, zanz.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I held out hope that the experimental treatment he'd undergone would give him more time than this. :( I feel deeply for his daughter.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I met Jay a couple of times. He was a wonderful guy. He faced his struggle with such strength and good humor and optimism, I actually thought there was a chance he might beat it.

Truly a great loss to everyone in the SF/F community.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Jay was an instructor at most of the writing events I organized since around 2005. He gave unflinchingly of his time and expertise to anyone who asked. We were friends, but I was more a fan than anything else.

My husband and I will continue to fund a scholarship to the Cascade Writers workshop in Jay's name for as long as we can. Our condolences to his friends, family and the writing world. Safe journey, Jay.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I was on a panel with Jay Lake at the Chicago World Science Fiction Convention in 2012. That was the first I heard about his cancer.

He was dealing with it with warmth, humor, and compassion. But even then it was hard to hear.

I am sorry he is gone.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Jay Lake was one of the writers whom I kept hearing about, and I always meant to check out his work. I'm sad he's gone, but grateful his words are still living in people's minds, creating worlds.