• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ridan Publishing

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Robin,

Sent you another Private Message as well as an email to the address you gave me. If you have everything, we can continue corresponding off-line. Hope to see you at BEA.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I never said their criticism of my outdated website was ill-informed.

Sorry if it wasn't clear that I was responding specifically to Sydewinder's comments there! Glad to see that you had the opportunity to bring the website up to date. ;) Best of luck.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you Robin. I spoke again to one of your authors a week or so ago and he said something that was designed to put me in my place [sometimes I need that, plus we're friends so he can do that to me]. He said, "Sydewinder [that's what he calls me ;)], I have an agent and yet I've decided to leave my manusript with Ridan even though I could pull it if I wanted to. Plus before I had an agent I had several ofers for my manuscript from other publishers and still decided to publish with Ridan. Isn't that telling?" It should have been [to me at least, since I know him], and that's why I feel I should make this post, because I was pretty critical of Ridan a few posts back.

Despite everything that's been said in past posts [many things by me] the one thing I should have noticed is that not once has a Ridan author complained about Robin or the publishing house. Also, none of Ridan's authors have left, despite the ability to do so [as robin pointed out that they can]. Ridan's sales numbers speak volumes and Robin's willingness to share her methods on her website, as well as her willingness to come here and address questions and criticism speaks to her character.

Thanks Sydewinder...I'm very happy with what I've done with Ridan. I can't think of anything more a writer should want from a publisher...no money coming from them, selling thousands of books, giving them 70% royalty, and a contract that let's them leave at any time and yet still I have to defend myself? Really I don't mind but it perplexes the heck out of me. I think it is people genuinely thinking "what's the catch". The only catch is...you have to be really really good for Ridan to take you on.

Sorry if it wasn't clear that I was responding specifically to Sydewinder's comments there! Glad to see that you had the opportunity to bring the website up to date. ;) Best of luck.

Ah I see...and thanks for needling me on the website - it did get it pushed higher on the priority list. I met a lot of great people today at DIY who will probably be going to it - so at least I had the chance to vacuum and dust before they showed up.

Looks much better...

Thanks - its an on going thing - I even updated it today with some "new news" so it's like laundry - if I keep up with it a bit everyday it might not get in as bad of shape as it once was.

Of course "before" I still had a 'day job' now that Ridan is 100% of my time I should be better at keeping it more upto date.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I updated the Ridan Website a few days ago. So perhaps we can move on to something else now?

There's really no need for the attitude. No one is having a go, it was something that was noticed and raised, which led to a general conversation about websites and web presence. No one was attacking you.

Yes most of my marketing is done direct - and therefore will not show up in a google search.

I think the proof of the marketing is in the number of books sold - not how many people on AW have seen the promotions.

I get what you are saying here, I really do. I worked in marketing for a while so I understand how direct marketing works. What I would say though, is that you should think how many more sales you could get if you could net a wider audience.

I only say this because I read a MASSIVE amount of sci-fi and fantasy, and until you started to post on this board I had never heard of any of your authors. Yet, from what I have seen and what I have read since, you seem to have a lot of talented people there. I can't help but wonder how many more people like me there are who would love to be made aware of what you have, but who aren't targeted by you through direct marketing.

Honestly, I'm not having a go. I'm not picking on you or attacking your business model. No one here is. When someone asks a question, or makes a suggestion, or points something out, it's not through malice, but through a genuine desire to help.

I personally think that no matter who you publish through, small press, big-six, or self you HAVE to promote yourself.

I agree to an extent. My publisher has certain requirements from me that I should fulfil. And that's cool. I like talking to readers, I like my internet work etc. But I'm not prepared to do ALL the work myself, I feel that my publisher should be doing the lions share of it, and at the very least I should never have to pay out of my own pocket for anything. So, yes, the author should promote themselves, but it's the publishers job to pay for it.

Now...that being the case. I totally don't understand publishers that bring on authors and don't market them. It's not doing them or the authors any good. .

Again, I agree. It does nothing for anyone and is bad for the publisher.

Also, just a note to say that the website looks good, the backdating is good because it shares the news from the last six months and shows the work etc that has been going on behind the scenes. It makes the whole business look busy, which is a good thing.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
There's really no need for the attitude. No one is having a go, it was something that was noticed and raised, which led to a general conversation about websites and web presence. No one was attacking you.

You call that attitude? I think I've been very patient throughout this thread.

I get what you are saying here, I really do. I worked in marketing for a while so I understand how direct marketing works. What I would say though, is that you should think how many more sales you could get if you could net a wider audience.

But at what cost? Techniques that appeal to a broader audience (Ads) are expensive and produce terrrible ROIs.

I only say this because I read a MASSIVE amount of sci-fi and fantasy, and until you started to post on this board I had never heard of any of your authors. Yet, from what I have seen and what I have read since, you seem to have a lot of talented people there. I can't help but wonder how many more people like me there are who would love to be made aware of what you have, but who aren't targeted by you through direct marketing.

You can't reach EVERYONE. Right now Ridan's Authors have 40% of the top 10 Hot New Releases in Science Fiction
  • #3 Full Share by Nathan Lowell
  • #4 Soldier of the Legion by Marshall Thomas
  • #6 March of the Legion by Marshall Thomas
  • #8 Slave of the Legion by Marshall Thomas
Watching lists like this, and my overall sales numbers tells me whether my marketing efforts are working - and at the moment I'm very pleased with the results. Is there room for improvment? Always...but I'm happy with the results my current marketing is producing - especially since the cost is $0.

Honestly, I'm not having a go. I'm not picking on you or attacking your business model. No one here is. When someone asks a question, or makes a suggestion, or points something out, it's not through malice, but through a genuine desire to help.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I do think some of the tone starting on page one of this pos has been accusatorial. I'm not the only one who feels that way based on emails and PM's I've received.

I agree to an extent. My publisher has certain requirements from me that I should fulfil. And that's cool. I like talking to readers, I like my internet work etc. But I'm not prepared to do ALL the work myself, I feel that my publisher should be doing the lions share of it, and at the very least I should never have to pay out of my own pocket for anything. So, yes, the author should promote themselves, but it's the publishers job to pay for it.

We are in compete agreement - but most publishers don't do much in marketing. Most of it is based on bookstore buyers as getting into the stores was the primary business model. That model is quickly changing and publishers MUST start to market to end users which they usually do very little of.

Also, just a note to say that the website looks good, the backdating is good because it shares the news from the last six months and shows the work etc that has been going on behind the scenes. It makes the whole business look busy, which is a good thing.

Thanks - The business is VERY busy - which is why the website has been out of date - I've updated it a few times since the clean-up so hopefully it will be like laundy and as long as I "keep up" with it...it won't fall into a similar state.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
We are in compete agreement - but most publishers don't do much in marketing. Most of it is based on bookstore buyers as getting into the stores was the primary business model. That model is quickly changing and publishers MUST start to market to end users which they usually do very little of.

Just wanted to say that this is only partially true. Publishers don't do much marketing to CUSTOMERS for the average title. I totally agree that the bulk of marketing happens on the back end - it's placement agreements and co-ops and can this book be included in this newsletter if we give you a discount on this book, etc. It's catalogs and advanced reader copies sent out. It's wooing buyers into bulk orders. Things like that. By the time the book is a month away from release, the bulk of marketing is over and done. But to be fair, my publisher has always bought ads for my books and I am a nobody, so they DO marketing, but the ad is the only thing my readers see. The rest is to get me bigger buy ins and better store placement, because if your book is on every endcap known to mankind? It's going to automatically sell.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Or maybe it's like yours - invisible. Doesn't make sense for any publisher not to market.

Sorry I should have been more clear - most publishers don't market to readers. Their "customers" are buyers at bookstores and library acquisitions. And yes it would be invisible as well.

For me, and Ridan, we don't really have any bookstore presence so our marketing focus is to the reader.

Just wanted to say that this is only partially true. Publishers don't do much marketing to CUSTOMERS for the average title. I totally agree that the bulk of marketing happens on the back end - it's placement agreements and co-ops and can this book be included in this newsletter if we give you a discount on this book, etc. It's catalogs and advanced reader copies sent out. It's wooing buyers into bulk orders. Things like that. By the time the book is a month away from release, the bulk of marketing is over and done. But to be fair, my publisher has always bought ads for my books and I am a nobody, so they DO marketing, but the ad is the only thing my readers see. The rest is to get me bigger buy ins and better store placement, because if your book is on every endcap known to mankind? It's going to automatically sell.

Exactly...the fact that you do get Ads shows both a strength in your market (romance) and for your writing. If you were a new author, with no platform in a non-genre BISG category you'll likely ge no "to consumer" marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
May's month was Ridan's best - we sold more than 26,000 books. Our highest selling author did 17,000 sales, second highest 6,000 sales. Both of these writers should have five digit incomes for May alone.

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
That is incredibly impressive. Congratulations! (Also, I have been lurking in this thread for some time and keep meaning to say that the covers on Michael's books are gorgeous.)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those numbers are dead impressive. I reckon that when/if Ridan re-opens to submissions they'll get flooded.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
That is incredibly impressive. Congratulations! (Also, I have been lurking in this thread for some time and keep meaning to say that the covers on Michael's books are gorgeous.)

Thanks - I agree he does a very nice job. And for the others that posted congrats - thanks so much. I'm not usually met with posts of this nature when I see new entries ;-) It was a nice suprise.

Currently all 9 of the Ridan Science Fiction titles are in the top 50 on Amazon Kindle Science Fiction Lists and in teh top 60 for Science Fiction Books

Current Rankings (Kindle/Book)

#1/#2 - Full Share (Nathan Lowell)
#4/#6 - Soldier of the Legion (Marshall S. Thomas)
#13/#17 - March of the Legion (Marshall S. Thomas)
#16/#20 - Quarter Share (Nathan Lowell)
#23/#29 - Slave of the Legion (Marshall S. Thomas)
#27/#37 - Secret of the Legion (Marshall S. Thomas)
#30/#44 - Full Share (Nathan Lowell)
#43/#51 - Cross of the Legion (Marshall S. Thomas)
#44/#57 - Curse of the Legion (Marshall S. Thomas)

Last edited:

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have to take a moment to post here.

I just spent the last two days reading from my last post, which was back on #85 or something, right through to here. WOW. I would love to give Robin a highfive. This thread should be mandatory reading for all new publishers on how to deal with criticism on Absolutewrite. So many other threads have devolved into something out of a horror flick by unprofessional publishers or their authors. Robin, you've done a remarkable job keeping your cool under more than a few detractors and critics, critics who posed questions I, asa writer, appreciated by the way. Professionalism and diplomacy is clearly not something you're lacking.

I've bought a number of Ridan books in the last year or so. It started out as a buy one to see if I like the editing/coverart up close/general book design, to see if I wanted to submit my manuscript, and moved into my really liking the writing of Ridan's authors. The covers, obviously are amazing. I think that's going to be one of the things Ridan Press will be known for. Which from a readers perspective isn't a bad thing.

@Nathan Lowell and swhibs123, thank you both for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. You both seemed very matter-of-fact in the way you addressed the questions posed.

Ok that is my cheer. I was just blown away by the last 150 posts on this thread it was like a rollercoaster ride. I had to give my two cents. Robin, when you open up for submissions I hope you'll post here. Your sales are just incredible. I am looking forward to reading some new Ridan books soon. That Chicken book sounds funny but looks creepy and that Fated one sounds intriguing and just up my alley.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I have to take a moment to post here.

I just spent the last two days reading from my last post, which was back on #85 or something, right through to here. WOW. I would love to give Robin a highfive. This thread should be mandatory reading for all new publishers on how to deal with criticism on Absolutewrite. So many other threads have devolved into something out of a horror flick by unprofessional publishers or their authors. Robin, you've done a remarkable job keeping your cool under more than a few detractors and critics, critics who posed questions I, asa writer, appreciated by the way. Professionalism and diplomacy is clearly not something you're lacking.

I've bought a number of Ridan books in the last year or so. It started out as a buy one to see if I like the editing/coverart up close/general book design, to see if I wanted to submit my manuscript, and moved into my really liking the writing of Ridan's authors. The covers, obviously are amazing. I think that's going to be one of the things Ridan Press will be known for. Which from a readers perspective isn't a bad thing.

@Nathan Lowell and swhibs123, thank you both for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. You both seemed very matter-of-fact in the way you addressed the questions posed.

Ok that is my cheer. I was just blown away by the last 150 posts on this thread it was like a rollercoaster ride. I had to give my two cents. Robin, when you open up for submissions I hope you'll post here. Your sales are just incredible. I am looking forward to reading some new Ridan books soon. That Chicken book sounds funny but looks creepy and that Fated one sounds intriguing and just up my alley.

Wow, thanks Foreverstamp - What a fantastic post. I'm glad you've enjoyed Ridan's books and like what you hear about what I'm doing. I really think that Ridan is unique in the industry - offering authors such high royalties and the freedom to leave whenever they want is what I wish every publisher would do....it doesn't hurt that we know how to sell books as well.

As you've already discovered though, our big secret to success is in selecting quality titles and authors. Keeping the Ridan brand standing for quality will always be a high priority with me and why we don't bring on titles haphazardly and in a rushed fashion.

Again, thanks for the kudos and I will post here when we are re-opened for submissions.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Anyone who wonders why she's banned can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. And I strongly suggest that anything she says anywhere should be taken with not just a grain, but a healthy pinch of salt, to be completely frank.

Jame, feel free to tell her she can clear the cookies from her browser (which logs her out) and still be able to read just fine, she just can't log in here and post on my bandwidth to badmouth AW, anymore.

Last edited:

Jame

Registered
Reaction score
I'll pass the message. :)

*whips messenger bag over her shoulder and jogs away*

davidhburton

Purveyor of sacrilege
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhburton.com
Both my agent and I have had dealings with Robin, and she's an extremely professional and knowledgeable individual. I highly value her thoughts and expertise in the publishing world.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Both my agent and I have had dealings with Robin, and she's an extremely professional and knowledgeable individual. I highly value her thoughts and expertise in the publishing world.

Hi David - I'm just wondering how many people work for Ridan and what sort of editing/publishing expertise they have. I can't find any information on their website regarding employees or a listing of publishing credits, other than Robin's own blog listing.

davidhburton

Purveyor of sacrilege
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhburton.com
That's something you'd have to ask Robin herself. At the time we had engaged her, she had staff there and were taking on new clients. I don't know where things are at now, but both my agent and I highly respect her. I've followed her blog/posts at various boards, as well as her husband's career. He just sold the rights to his books to Orbit for a very large sum (which were under the Ridan umbrella before that).

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
That's something you'd have to ask Robin herself. At the time we had engaged her, she had staff there and were taking on new clients. I don't know where things are at now, but both my agent and I highly respect her. I've followed her blog/posts at various boards, as well as her husband's career. He just sold the rights to his books to Orbit for a very large sum (which were under the Ridan umbrella before that).

Thanks, David.

Since Robin's not allowed on this board I won't be waiting for the answers. I was just curious as to what she was providing, given that this new definition of "estributors" seems to be more along the lines of what Ridan is doing rather than actual publishing, in my perception.

I thought you had signed with her and thus had the information. Thanks for your prompt reply.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
A link from Robin's blog: http://deadrobotssociety.com/2011/0...-the-publishing-industry-with-robin-sullivan/

There will be a Q & A with her tomorrow at the above site and people are apparently welcome to submit questions.

As for editorial points: Robin is the Editor in Chief, but she contracts with freelancers (this was done on my book). I've been very impressed. I think all of their books have the "look inside" feature so you can get a bit of a picture of their editorial prowess that way. Also, if memory serves, I believe some of the editors were acknowledged by the authors in the books.

Ridan does a lot of behind the scenes marketing for their books, which is one of Robin's strengths given her background.

Last edited: