• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ridan Publishing

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
What David B said...

Looks like AC's book 1 in the Starbridge series is out with others to follow.

Hope all news is good news for AC and Ridan...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Ah! Wasn't there yesterday - or I was looking at an older version of the page.

I hope links will be live soon on Amazon.

(psst, Robin? Since I suspect you're monitoring this thread - there's a few bad links here and there. The Rick Murcer page has links to Nathan Lowell's page and so forth - and the cover art for the first Starbridge novel leads to the Time Cavern cover. Might want to get your webmaster onto that ASAP.)

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

Robin is known for backdating posts and updates - see upthread. So it's possible that it wasn't there yesterday.

Still, awesome news for Ann, and I hope the books do well.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Ditto. I know it wasn't there when I looked yesterday. Ah well. It's there now.

And that's good news for Ann. Congrats! I hope the book does well. :)

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
StarBridge Book One

Thanks for the good wishes on the StarBridge e-books.

I've never done this kind of thing before, and I had no idea what would be entailed when I started. All seven books had to be OCR'd, which took a while, and then they required a couple of rounds of extensive proofreading, which is still ongoing. It all took a bit longer than had been anticipated. It didn't help that I came down with a nasty change of seasons cold just before Thanksgiving, which delayed things.

I'm currently proofing Book 4, Serpent's Gift. I'm determined that the books will be top quality, since I've had many requests over the years for them to be released as e-book editions. The series is very near and dear to my heart.

All of the books should be out by New Year's, give or take a week or so. I really like the covers that have been done so far.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Are you getting new covers? If so I'm sure they are gorgeous.

The new covers are up on Ridan - the first four, at least.

I think they're lovely.

The current schedule is to have the second and third books out December 10th and the fourth on Dec. 12 with the last three out in 2012.

Hopefully Amazon will be quick to get them live on Kindle for the holiday season.

But again, LOVELY covers. Beautiful!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
OOOH. they are nice. Very elegant and simple.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
StarBridge Covers

Michael and I went back and forth on the covers, with him asking questions about the series books, and with me and my collaborators making suggestions. The idea of including the curving "bridge" as a part of each title was his, and I think it's great. The covers are definitely "concept" covers, but each one has its own unique image, so they stand out. I was really impressed when I saw them, since I had absolutely no experience with this kind of thing.

Each book has new introductions and afterwords, too. StarBridge focuses on "first contact" as its theme. I love creating alien species.

It's so much fun to spend time in that universe after more than a decade away from it.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

-Ann C. Crispin

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
My seven book StarBridge series will be issued for the first time as e-editions (and later, print editions) by Ridan in November. You may be assured that I checked out Ridan's contract and sales figures exhaustively before I signed with them.

Is it possible to share how you gained the information and what you learned?

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
My Ridan Contracts

I asked Robin Sullivan to show me copies of her sales figures, and her boilerplate contracts. Then we negotiated contract terms until we had reached a mutally acceptable agreement. That's all there was to it.

-Ann C. Crispin

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
StarBridge Book One is now up on both B&N and Amazon.com. I have no idea why it took over a week for Amazon.com to list it, but they have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. Silent Dances will go up anytime; the work on it has been completed, and Shadow World is waiting in the wings.

Have a wonderful holiday, folks!

-Ann C. Crispin

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
StarBridge Book One is now up on both B&N and Amazon.com. I have no idea why it took over a week for Amazon.com to list it, but they have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. Silent Dances will go up anytime; the work on it has been completed, and Shadow World is waiting in the wings.

Have a wonderful holiday, folks!

-Ann C. Crispin

Do you have a link for us? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
AC,

Just picked up a copy of Starbridge on my kindle and hope to get to it very soon.

Question for you... I notice you have a Witch World series, is this based off Ms. Andre Norton's series?

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Witch World Books

Thoth I wrote two books in colloboration with Andre Norton, based in her Witch World. Both are out of print.

The first one was the third book in the "Crystal Gryphon" trilogy, and the fourth was sort of a "Witch World, Next Generation" novel titled Songsmith.

We plotted the books together, then I did the first draft for each novel. I'm very proud of the fact that Andre didn't make a lot of changes to what I'd written.

We were good friends for more than 25 years.

-Ann C. Crispin

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I envy you, Ms Norton was a very lovely and talented lady. I will have to see if I can find those books in a used book store. I know that an Amazon search did not find them.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I've been watching from afar, and I'm a little concerned about a possible trend of books missing their release dates. For instance, Nathan Lowell's book, Double Share, was to have been released at Xmas 2011. Ridan's site says that his remaining two books, Captain's Share and Owner's Share should be available in e-book and print formats in early 2012, yet none of those titles are even listed in Amazon.

Additionally, I noticed that Nathan's blog has numerous posts about his frustration with what's going on at Ridan.

- In December he says that the release date of "before Christmas" is gone and bemoans the loss of momentum from earlier releases.

- In November he talks about waiting for the edits to return.

- In October he talks about Double Share being pushed back "yet again".

- In September he talks about the Double Share edits being in Ridan's hands and waiting for the release of "special editons" of previous books, which hasn't happened.

Sadly, it doesn't stop there. I looked at Ridan's site and noticed that AC Crispin's books also haven't been released. They say:
Silent Dances and Shadow World will be released 12/10/2011 and Serpent's Gift by 12/12/2011. The last three books in the series are scheduled for release in early 2012.
Yet none of these books have been released, nor are they a blip on Amazon's site. If you want to generate excitement, most publishers get their upcoming titles up several months (at least) to generate pre-orders.

Since these are two big feathers in Ridan's cap, I'm concerned that basically five books have missed their deadlines.

I understand that Robin's father is ill, or passed away, which is horribly sad. But this underlines the same concerns as I have in the Lethe thread, which is basically, life happens. Shit happens, and it sucks. But we, as publishers, have a larger concern to meet our contractual obligations. If we can't do it ourselves, we need to hire staff who can keep the company running.

I feel for Robin, but I also feel for her authors. What do you tell authors who have put a lot of energy, time, and money into promoting the upcoming release of their book? "Oops, sorry, I was too busy with my personal life"? As publishers, we don't have that luxury because release dates don't stop just because we had surgery or someone in our family passed. It's incredibly generous of authors who have the compassion to forgive a missed deadline due to personal issues. But the marketplace doesn't care one whit.

One can forgive a push back on one book. But five books? From your biggest authors? My concern is on two fronts; are these missed deadlines a casualty of personal issues, or is more energy being poured into her husband's books? It may be rude of me to ask, but it's not an insignificant concern. Robin is only one person, so how far can she spread herself before something breaks?

She may regret putting the 30-day rights to reversion clause in her contract. I would hate to do that kind of editing and promotion only to lose the author.

Last edited: