• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ridan Publishing

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
To add, they've signed some very good authors and their books often do very well.

True - but it seems to me that they're signed only after doing very well on their own and then Ridan picks them up and runs with the ball, so to speak. I'd like to see her results with an unknown, debut author instead of an already established SP looking for a publisher/packager/marketing company.

I'll see what comes out of the interview. Personally I wouldn't sign with her but then what the heck do I know - I'm "stuck" with commercial publishers because I'm too poor to SP!

:ROFL:

davidhburton

Purveyor of sacrilege
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhburton.com
That's a fair assessment. I can't speak to any unknowns they've picked up.

As for me, I chose not to sign because she wanted an editorial change that I didn't want to make. She's left the door open for me should I ever decide I want to work with them, but I'm happy going it alone right now.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
True - but it seems to me that they're signed only after doing very well on their own and then Ridan picks them up and runs with the ball, so to speak. I'd like to see her results with an unknown, debut author instead of an already established SP looking for a publisher/packager/marketing company.

:ROFL:

Ridan is publishing my debut novel (I didn't have anything with any other publisher before, though I have since managed to place a couple other novels and I did sign with an agent for my newest stuff). I have nothing against self publishing - I think it's a good fit for a lot of people, but it's not something I'm interested in pursuing at this time. I submitted per their guidelines when they were open and went through the acquisitions process.

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Ridan is publishing my debut novel (I didn't have anything with any other publisher before, though I have since managed to place a couple other novels and I did sign with an agent for my newest stuff). I have nothing against self publishing - I think it's a good fit for a lot of people, but it's not something I'm interested in pursuing at this time. I submitted per their guidelines when they were open and went through the acquisitions process.

Ah, well... then I'll have my answer in a few months, then.

:)

Best of luck to you and I'll be interested in seeing how Robin does her marketing magic.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Ah, well... then I'll have my answer in a few months, then.

:)

Best of luck to you and I'll be interested in seeing how Robin does her marketing magic.

Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate that.

I suspect there are marketing benefits to having several titles. However, I believe The Time Cavern was a single title by a debut author as well. (The second book is slated for release this year according to Ridan website). I don't know what total sales have been for that title but I know they had at least one month of 1000 units sold.

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate that.

I suspect there are marketing benefits to having several titles. However, I believe The Time Cavern was a single title by a debut author as well. (The second book is slated for release this year according to Ridan website). I don't know what total sales have been for that title but I know they had at least one month of 1000 units sold.

I assume a "unit" is an actual ebook.

;)

Do you have a release date yet? I see 2011 in your sig...

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I assume a "unit" is an actual ebook.

;)

Do you have a release date yet? I see 2011 in your sig...

Since Ridan sells both eBooks and print books, I really don't know how the sales figures break down. That's why I used "unit" maybe just "book" would have been better ;). I believe somewhere back in this thread Robin mentioned something like 80% of Ridan sales were eBooks. I'm too lazy to look it up, but it was a majority share, that's for sure.

My book is slated for a fall release.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think Ridan noted previously that debut authors don't go to print unless the e-books are selling and there is an interest in print. This is pretty standard for many small publishers and start ups.

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Just to qualify this statement a bit further so as to avoid confusion; your small commercial presses don't fall into this category. This is the usual fare for e-publishers and PODs.

Yep - Samhain Publishing books always go to printed copy unless they're shorts or novellas, which make them too short to print.

:Thumbs:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think Ridan noted previously that debut authors don't go to print unless the e-books are selling and there is an interest in print. This is pretty standard for many small publishers and start ups.

That's not the case for Ridan. My book will be print (paperback) and eBook upon release. That's the way it is for all of their titles. I think maybe she was talking about hardcovers (which is an option for some titles).

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
That's not the case for Ridan. My book will be print (paperback) and eBook upon release. That's the way it is for all of their titles. I think maybe she was talking about hardcovers (which is an option for some titles).

I heard somewhere that you get to choose not only your cover art but also the size of your book. Are you at this stage yet, and any ideas?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that you get to choose not only your cover art but also the size of your book. Are you at this stage yet, and any ideas?

Well, I was asked a while back to send some examples of published books whose covers I liked (style-wise). I did that, but I made it very clear that Michael Sullivan, the cover artist for Ridan, should feel free to do whatever cover he feels appropriate for the book. He's read my book. He's an artist (I'm not), I'm incredibly impressed with the other covers he's created so I truly feel like my book is in very good hands.

As for size. I do remember the discussion with Robin, but I can't recall the exact dimensions. I believe it will be the same size as Michael's books (5.25 X ??). I'm drawing a blank.

ETA: Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that Ridan authors have free-reign. For example, I liked the original title of my book, but Robin explained the challenges that it presented from a marketing standpoint and told me that it had to be changed; we brainstormed some alternative until we came up with "The Fated." Furthermore, as much as Ridan might want my thoughts on what kind of covers I liked, I'm sure I wouldn't get something that didn't jive with their marketing strategy. I have no idea the level of input other authors had in their covers, but mine has been minimal (to none), which, given my lack of artistic abilities, is the way it should be;)

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
There is nothing on Ridan's site about your book, nor is there anything on Amazon. For a fall release, one would think this information would have been up their site a long time ago.

If you look under the title "The Fated," you'll find it. I write adventure novels for the MG audience and I also write urban fantasy novels for the YA/Adult crossover audience. The later I write under a pen name, Jackson Archer.

I really do appreciate your thoughts on marketing benchmarks (I'm not being snarky, I know your comments come from a good place, so that's not how I'm trying to come across), but Robin and I have talked at length on how she intends to market my book. I'm comfortable with how things are presently set up.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
There is nothing on Ridan's site about your book, nor is there anything on Amazon. For a fall release, one would think this information would have been up their site a long time ago.

You didn't looked hard enough, there is stuff about Swhibs book, and has been on the Ridan website for the past six months, at least. So has his Author bio, though recently changed to a penname, for his own reasons.

http://www.ridanpublishing.com/ridan_publishing_books.html
http://www.ridanpublishing.com/ridan_publishing_authors.html

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
You didn't looked hard enough, there is stuff about Swhibs book, and has been on the Ridan website for the past six months, at least. So has his Author bio, though recently changed to a penname, for his own reasons.

http://www.ridanpublishing.com/ridan_publishing_books.html
http://www.ridanpublishing.com/ridan_publishing_authors.html
I looked under "Authors" and clicked on his name - like a regular customer might do. It took me to this page where there is only his name, and a Website Under Construction and Coming Soon. So acting like a regular customer, I think I "looked hard enough."

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
There is also a typo under his entry in the second link AlishaS posted:

writinng some exceptional fantasy

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Swhibs thank you for answerin some of these questions. I was wondering if there is there a reason you wnt with a diferent publisher for your other books?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I don’t mind answering questions about my experience with Ridan. Just to be clear though, I can’t speak for things behind the scene.

As for why I signed with a different publisher for my other books. It has nothing to do with being dissatisfied with Ridan. Like I said, I write for two different audiences. I know that Ridan does the bulk of their sales through online vendors, and the bulk of those sales are eBooks. Ridan has had tremendous success with their model and I think they’ve proven that they know what they’re doing in that regard.

However, when considering books for the 8-13 year-old audience, it was my personal opinion that the better fit would be a publisher whose books were mostly sold in the major book chains (I didn't, at that time, know any kids in that age group with eReaders). Additionally, I was under the impression that Ridan leaned towards thicker books (80K-100K words) and that my 45K word MG adventure wouldn’t be a good fit. I've since learned that that's not necessarily the case and there is a part of me that wonders if I made the right decision. That said, even though I am just starting out in this industry (started writing in 2008) I am very happy with the direction my writing career is heading.

My experience with Ridan is limited to the acquisitions and production phases of their model, so I can’t speak to sales, but from what I’ve experienced so far I would highly recommend them to anyone. I believe Nathan Lowell spoke of his experiences further back in the thread and he talked specifically about sales. Also, Robin has been quite open about Ridan's sales figures throughout this thread and on her blog, so the information is out there.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Wow I laugh. I didn't even know you could click on the names on the left hand side!! I went to Authors, Jackson Archer is second on the list, I read the bio, went to books, scrolled down till I saw his book and called my search good.
So then yes, I guess I am not a "regular person" either way, the information is there and has been for quite awhile :)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I looked under "Authors" and clicked on his name - like a regular customer might do. It took me to this page where there is only his name, and a Website Under Construction and Coming Soon. So acting like a regular customer, I think I "looked hard enough."

Yeah, I did that, too. I wouldn't be too happy with that notation instead of an announcement of release dates, but...