• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

RedDoor Press Ltd. (formerly RedDoor Publishing)

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about these people?

They seem to have changed their name to Red Door Press but I submitted something in March and followed up twice in July and once on Facebook and they've not replied. I think that's really discourteous if nothing else :(

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
It's a vanity press that calls itself "hybrid." Consider their lack of response a lucky escape for you!

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Earthling. I usually spot a vanity press a mile off but they must have had a change of 'ethos' since my submission in March and now because previously they did respond. But if they've changed to being a 'hybrid' I'd have thought they would reply instantly with gushing replies and wanting some dosh from me! :D

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
True @Marian. But then if you self-publish you also underwrite the cost of production and I don't think they're pretending otherwise

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And if you self-publish you determine the cost and select the vendors. Sometimes the one-stop-shop places sell substandard in-house services for inflated prices to further pad their profits.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
They've been a vanity press since at least 2015 but these weasels are very good at using the weasley words!

Another key difference is self-publishing rarely costs £3,000+.

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
Is that how much they're charging. Earthling?

The thing is I submitted something to them a few years back thinking they were a small press and they rejected it. Also, another author I know had offer of editorial help for a novel she submitted and no charges. So they weren't acting like the usual Vanity Presses with gushing overblown compliments.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

The thing is I submitted something to them a few years back thinking they were a small press and they rejected it. Also, another author I know had offer of editorial help for a novel she submitted and no charges. So they weren't acting like the usual Vanity Presses with gushing overblown compliments.

Every vanity press sends rejections, for the simple reason that they can't publish every manuscript they're sent. There are even vanity presses which make an occasional offer without charging (see Tate Publishing and Shane Hamman), which does a good job of convincing people that maybe this is a different sort of vanity press.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score

It's just after 5am in Australia, so what I am doing? Googling RedDoor, of course. :rolleyes:

Here's an article from May 2016:

"My own company RedDoor offers another option for talented but overlooked writers. Bridging the gap between traditional and self-publishing we are rigorously selective in our commissioning process and publish to the highest traditional standards. In our model the author covers the costs (editorial, design, production etc) associated with the first print run. The cost varies according to the book but the minimum would be around £4,500 and revenue is shared 60/40 in the author’s favour. We aim for authors to go into profit in the first year."

Kate JR

Registered
Reaction score
I've now had a reply from them (following up from my first email) and they have had a restructure apparently and all I can find is that they've changed their name to RedDoor Press and can be found on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RedDoorPress/

There is an actual printing company called Red Door Press who I approached thinking they were the same outfit but they're not at all. So it gets very confusing. It begs the question why they changed their name to one that already exists by another company - the only difference being that one's RedDoor and the other Red Door. It also begs the question - did they change the name to dissociate themselves from the 'vanity' or 'hybrid' aspect? Then again, I think they're probably operating under the same model. I will get around to replying to the email and asking about their costs so I can be in no doubt.

They have also changed their logo but I preferred the old one.

Last edited: